Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2022 4:28:06 PM EDT
I want to shoot/train more.  Ammo is expensive.  Maybe I can put together some trainer uppers in .22LR that completely clones my AR15 for banging steel and doing shooting drills.

What are some top tier reliable parts to do this?  What are some good magazines?  Any problem using my 5.56mm silencer on the build?

I’d like to use my existing lowers and I even have some spare old 5.56 barrels/upper receivers/handguards I could use if those would work... but whichever is most reliable is what I want
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Right to Bear Arms and CMMG.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd consider a rimfire can unless you have a suppressor that can be disassembled and cleaned. .22 will dirty up a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd consider a rimfire can unless you have a suppressor that can be disassembled and cleaned. .22 will dirty up a suppressor.
View Quote

I have a couple 22 cans but I’d rather use a real 5.56 can if it’s not too bad for it.  Honestly, I don’t even bother cleaning my 22LR silencers.

I have to imagine a 5.56 full auto mag dump or two that gets it glowing a bit would blow all that shit out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a spikes upper with volq barrel    no issues.  takes most magazines.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
CMMG on a worn out machine gun upper I got from the EE works for me. I use a dedicated Anderson lower.

I also like my S&W M&P 22-15 and it would probably be cheaper, but that’s not what you asked.

As a bonus the M&P 22 mags work fine along with the CMMG mags in the CMMG rig.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
CMMG and Black Dog Mags...runs like a raped ape
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. And I'd add borebuddy.com for extra reliability.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like CMMG it is... I like them. My 9mm RDB upper runs like greased lightning on my MG setup. But even 9mm is too much $ to burn for training.

Should I just use the conversion/insert to drop into my primary rifle’s upper or just buy the whole dedicated 22LR barrel and put together a spare 22LR upper?

I already have spare stripped upper receivers and handguards, so that’s not a factor.  But not having to duplicate my optic/light/laser setup just for a trainer rifle would save a ton of money.  That’s probably like $1.5k of accessories/optics to duplicate alone.  So if the insert is good to go without 22LR screwing up my prinary rifle’s barrel or gas system that’d be great.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like CMMG it is... I like them. My 9mm RDB upper runs like greased lightning on my MG setup. But even 9mm is too much $ to burn for training.

Should I just use the conversion/insert to drop into my primary rifle’s upper or just buy the whole dedicated 22LR barrel and put together a spare 22LR upper?

I already have spare stripped upper receivers and handguards, so that’s not a factor.  But not having to duplicate my optic/light/laser setup just for a trainer rifle would save a ton of money.  That’s probably like $1.5k of accessories/optics to duplicate alone.  So if the insert is good to go without 22LR screwing up my prinary rifle’s barrel or gas system that’d be great.
View Quote

I know the pain of optics, etc., but a dedicated .22 LR barrel is the answer. More accurate (correct bore dia. and twist rate) and no worries about crap in the gas tube. The conversion works well, but accuracy is limited. Perhaps that's OK for what you want to accomplish--it's not bad up to 10-20 yards. You can always try it that way, then if/when you decide to go with a .22 LR barrel, the CMMG/RTB BCG can easily be converted by removing the chamber insert and installing the dedicated barrel collar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know the pain of optics, etc., but a dedicated .22 LR barrel is the answer. More accurate (correct bore dia. and twist rate) and no worries about crap in the gas tube. The conversion works well, but accuracy is limited. Perhaps that's OK for what you want to accomplish--it's not bad up to 10-20 yards. You can always try it that way, then if/when you decide to go with a .22 LR barrel, the CMMG/RTB BCG can easily be converted by removing the chamber insert and installing the dedicated barrel collar.
View Quote

For the drop-in conversion there’s the definite advantage of not having to duplicate optic/laser/light setups and being able to use the kit across several ARs (HD, CQBR, RECCE, A1, etc...) but crap in my gas tubes (or adjustable gas block) is my primary concern...

But only 10-20 yards?!?  Holy crap. That’s terrible. I’m just looking to bang steel silhouettes from 25-100 yards, do transitions, work on night shooting, etc...
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got one of these so I could practice in my backyard. Or get drunk and do full auto rips in my backyard. Either or. But BB’s are even cheaper than 22.

https://www.crosman.com/product/crosmanr-full-auto-r1-bb
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking you'll be quite disappointed in the conversion if you're looking for 100 yard accuracy. 5.56 bore diameter is a thou or two bigger than .22 LR and 1:16 is the proper twist rate to stabilize. The slower twist your 5.56 barrel has, the better results you'll get. If CQB practice is what you want, it will be fine. Get a conversion and try it, you're only out <$50 if you decide it doesn't work for you and you want to go with a dedicated .22 barrel (for the collar).
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Op, go with the CMMG or Right to Bear Conversion kit. Get the one with three 25 round mags.

I built an upper with an AR15 barrel with a 1:9 twist. Accuracy is acceptable out to 50 yards. Haven’t tried 100. I should.

As far as gunking up your gas tube, I wouldn’t be too concerned. Because this isn’t your tier one rifle. And if you pull the Conversion bolt, stick a 5.56 BCG in, then blast several rounds to clear/clean everything out.

Optics… if you use the same optic, keep in mind the POI shift. It will be significant. Maybe put your optic in a QD Mount, learn the offset, dial in the difference when swapping rifles.

As far as a dedicated 22lr barrel… let me know when you find one in stock - under 10 inches please. GOOD LUCK.

Suppressor. I wouldn’t shoot 22 thru my non-serviceable can. And I have heard that blasting 5.56 through it after doesn’t clean it like it cleans the gas tube. Not sure why- it just doesn’t.

I love my 16” AR Conversion. I just bought a 22lr dedicated bolt for another build, but barrels are unobtainable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I did CMMG barrel and bolt, BDM mags and away I went
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
RTB in an Aero upper works for me. Lower has a LaRue MBT2S and it’s been flawless. Lots of fun and cheap to run!
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a crappy 5.56 upper, threw the CMMG kit into it, put it on a KP-15, screwed on a Switchback and went to town. So far it has been flawless with the 3 CMMG mags.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a crappy 5.56 upper, threw the CMMG kit into it, put it on a KP-15, screwed on a Switchback and went to town. So far it has been flawless with the 3 CMMG mags.
View Quote

That's what I have.  Work's great, well enough to hit 3" targets at 100 yards with Automatch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a PSA 16" upper receiver assembly a few years ago and it is quite accurate and reliable.  I then bought a CMMG 9" barrel and built a 22LR pistol to mimic my AR-9 and swap the bolt assembly between them.  I use the BMA and 15-22 mags.  Great fun and good training.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Boonie Packer for Last Round Bolt Hold Open
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just get a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22
View Quote

^^This^^
You'll save yourself a ton of money and hassle by buying something that works out of the box and doesn't require additional parts.  Actually, if you're looking for realistic practice and running drills, I would suggest an AR-9 since recoil management should be a big part of your training.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

^^This^^
You'll save yourself a ton of money and hassle by buying something that works out of the box and doesn't require additional parts.  Actually, if you're looking for realistic practice and running drills, I would suggest an AR-9 since recoil management should be a big part of your training.
View Quote

I handled one in a store and it felt like a toy.  I much prefer the dedicated upper for realistic training and I also get to use the same trigger as my centerfires.  They are fine for what they are, just not for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I recommend away from the M&P.  In the conversion you don't need anything but the BCG and magazines, period, and you are now rocking your awesome rifle with your awesome trigger, and awesome optic on your awesome hand guard  - all the cool stuff you spent so much money on you can continue to enjoy except less recoil and cheaper shooting.  Don't need to double up on any gear.

I even prefer building a dedicated rimfire AR over the M&P because it will be made of all the parts YOU want, not what S&W gives you.  If you build one, pick out a cool folder, cool parts, colors you like - you will enjoy shooting it far more than a stock M&P

It's super easy to get replacement parts for the conversion kits, not sure how long it takes to wear out the M&P or get replacement parts/repair.  I break a lot of firing pins so I stocked up back in the day since I also use the same firing pin in a 1911 rimfire conversion kit.  Nowadays I just buy quality high strength machined pins that last far longer.

When I have blown enough $$$ dumping mags into trash or whatever, I just throw my conversion kit in and keep rocking, don't need a second rifle.  Can still dump mags as the kits work with FRT triggers.

Of course they work with M16's

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]

THIS IS THE WAY
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're going to build your own upper, start looking at Bore Buddy and RTB for some enhancements.  Might as well get the reliability kit from Bore Buddy.  I broke several firing pins before going to the enhanced version.  The weight and enhanced extractor eliminated bolt bounce and jamming with most ammo.  Plastic feed lip mags can deform over time so be aware.  Black Dog mags are top tier.  Go for the steel lip ones when you can find them in stock.  Catch 22 has a bolt catch that will actually hold the bolt back without a mag in place. I also went with a latchless charging handle from Strike Industries along with the extension tab. Put the Bore Buddy insert into the slot to help keep brass from bouncing up into the slot and causing jams.

If all this seems like a pain, that's what it takes to make the conversion run reliably if you're serious about reliability and hard use.  I was using mine quite a bit for speed steel and sage rat shooting.  An Appleseed event prompted me to add even more enhancements so I didn't need to futz with it to perform reliably.

ETA: Now that I've entered more AR events and taken more classes, I've switched to an AR9 for practice since the recoil is closer to an AR and that's one of the components of many drills.  Only down side now is finding primers at a decent price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]
My thoughts-----

For most realistic training the drop in conversion is the ticket. You will be using the same trigger, optic and stock with the same weight of the gun.Every thing is the same but the recoil .

With a 7 twist barrel accuracy will be down some but if you are running and gunning at targets up to 30 yards or so it is decent . With a 8 or 9 twist accuracy is better .

The whole bit about getting the gas tube dirty is absolutely something that doesn't happen . None of my experience is with a can however , the extra back pressure could act different .

I would tell you to buy a drop in conversion and give it a try for your purpose . If you find it doesn't work for your use sell it off and you are only out $20 or so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#29]
gud enuff
Old PSA 10.5" 5.56 barrel with a CMMG kit in it.  

Gone: Original gas block and tube.  Original muzzle device.
Added: Even cheaper gas block installed backwards (to block gas port) and thread protector.  

I figure it is easier to add a new gas block then try to remove the gas tube from the old gas block.  Plus the old one is put together and ready to go if ever want to switch.  I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap 1:8 twist 11.5" or 12.5" that I might use instead.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Gotta say CMMG barrel and bcg !! Lots fun for sure!
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I built one for a buddy recently.
Got the complete16" upper from RTB.
Aero M4E1 lower.
Larue MBT-2S trigger.
Magpul CTR stock
Sig Romeo 5.
Black Dog mags.
Yay...
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I want to shoot/train more.  Ammo is expensive.  Maybe I can put together some trainer uppers in .22LR that completely clones my AR15 for banging steel and doing shooting drills.

What are some top tier reliable parts to do this?  What are some good magazines?  Any problem using my 5.56mm silencer on the build?

I’d like to use my existing lowers and I even have some spare old 5.56 barrels/upper receivers/handguards I could use if those would work... but whichever is most reliable is what I want
View Quote

Get a complete upper from Bear Creek Arsenal, I bought one and it's fun to shoot.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/calibers/ar-22/ar-22-complete-uppers.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Get a complete upper from Bear Creek Arsenal, I bought one and it's fun to shoot.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/calibers/ar-22/ar-22-complete-uppers.html
View Quote

That's a pretty good price for complete uppers.  When ordering, make sure you look closely to see if it's a side charger or standard CH.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's a pretty good price for complete uppers.  When ordering, make sure you look closely to see if it's a side charger or standard CH.
View Quote

There is a reason for that
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is a reason for that
View Quote

People shit on bear creek, but I’ve had 3 of their uppers (2 of them gen 1 side chargers) and all have been good for the price.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

People shit on bear creek, but I’ve had 3 of their uppers (2 of them gen 1 side chargers) and all have been good for the price.
View Quote

I am glad for you but they are a QC crapshoot.  There is a well circulated youtube vid of a 'smith failing (headspace) two BCA uppers that he got in for customers.

I won't buy an assembled upper from anybody, but I won't even buy a barrel from BCA.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For the drop-in conversion there's the definite advantage of not having to duplicate optic/laser/light setups and being able to use the kit across several ARs (HD, CQBR, RECCE, A1, etc...) but crap in my gas tubes (or adjustable gas block) is my primary concern...

But only 10-20 yards?!?  Holy crap. That's terrible. I'm just looking to bang steel silhouettes from 25-100 yards, do transitions, work on night shooting, etc...
View Quote
Then you need a dedicated upper.

I use my dedicated CMMG to train for Highpower with reduced size targets.  I can bang a 4" plate at 75 yards no problem 10 for 10.

When I had a kit I couldn't even get a passing score on my Appleseed target at home with no time limits at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Bear Creek Arsenal.  they work, and accurate + the correct weight like any A3 upper
for $300.00 its hard to beat.
good luck with your 900 dollar build for a .22 cal
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
BCA they work, and accurte pluse the correct weight. for $300.00
good luck with your 900 dollar build for a .22 cal
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#41]
.22 is fucking boring. Only good reason to own one is to shoot varmint.

.50/ round isn't that bad. Pony up and shoot a real rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
.22 is fucking boring. Only good reason to own one is to shoot varmint.

.50/ round isn't that bad. Pony up and shoot a real rifle.
View Quote

I can’t tell if you thought this was GD (it’s not) or you honestly believe that...
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I shoot at my house a lot, mostly with rimfire.   I could shoot more centerfire rifle but I don’t want to subject my neighbors to the noise.   I can get a lot of bang for my buck shooting rimfire.   I trained extensively with rimfire before I retired from LE.  We carried Glock pistols and 5.56 AR-15’s.   I used an AA conversion kit on a dedicated Glock 17 frame and a dedicated 16” 22 LR  CMMG upper on a lower setup exactly like my duty rifle.  

I could shoot with the best of the younger guys who were 25+ years younger.   I had not shot rifles extensively prior to department adoption of AR-15’s.   I shot at least 500-1000 rounds a month through my 22 LR AR-15 which really helped me.   There was no way I could afford to shoot that much centerfire or even reload that much.

Everybody is welcome to their opinion but 22 rimfire is a very popular useful cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I shoot at my house a lot, mostly with rimfire.   I could shoot more centerfire rifle but I don’t want to subject my neighbors to the noise.   I can get a lot of bang for my buck shooting rimfire.   I trained extensively with rimfire before I retired from LE.  We carried Glock pistols and 5.56 AR-15’s.   I used an AA conversion kit on a dedicated Glock 17 frame and a dedicated 16” 22 LR  CMMG upper on a lower setup exactly like my duty rifle.  

I could shoot with the best of the younger guys who were 25+ years younger.   I had not shot rifles extensively prior to department adoption of AR-15’s.   I shot at least 500-1000 rounds a month through my 22 LR AR-15 which really helped me.   There was no way I could afford to shoot that much centerfire or even reload that much.

Everybody is welcome to their opinion but 22 rimfire is a very popular useful cartridge.
View Quote

Agreed! AR-22s are fun and practical. Who cares how much they cost to build exactly the way you want them? The AR-22 pistol with which I'm familiar is up to about the $2K point when optic and accessories are all figured in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I got a CMMG conversion Kit. Works good. I have to adjust my optics but I got that down now and it only takes a few minutes. I was at the range a couple days ago with it, stayed at the 25 yard range and worked on some drills. Once I have it set up it's got pretty good accuracy at 25 yards, good accuracy at 50 yards and I don't even try 100 yard accuracy. That's what the .223 is for.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#46]

you have my attention

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#47]
RTB and CMMG are a great place to start.  With the 16" pencil barrel from RTB, a CMMG kit with collar, etc, this guy is ~5.5# loaded and way more accurate than a 5.56 barrel would be.  Plus the folder makes it stupid amounts of fun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
RTB and CMMG are a great place to start.  With the 16" pencil barrel from RTB, a CMMG kit with collar, etc, this guy is ~5.5# loaded and way more accurate than a 5.56 barrel would be.  Plus the folder makes it stupid amounts of fun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207715/E8D61CF9-D2EA-4C6D-AB88-EA7C15DB1FC3_jpe-2241550.JPG
View Quote

So I ended up buying a CMMG 9" 22LR Banshee 100 complete upper from OP (not the cheapest, but it was actually IN STOCK) and 10 Black Dog metal feedlip mags from RTB as well (RTB is always a pretty good price).
https://www.opticsplanet.com/cmmg-inc-banshee-100-series-upper-receiver-group.html

@NorthPolar
Tell me more about that stock setup... I hadn't considered a folding stock since I don't need an AR15 buffer and that's intriguing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So I ended up buying a CMMG 9" 22LR Banshee 100 complete upper from OP (not the cheapest, but it was actually IN STOCK) and 10 Black Dog metal feedlip mags from RTB as well (RTB is always a pretty good price).
https://www.opticsplanet.com/cmmg-inc-banshee-100-series-upper-receiver-group.html

@NorthPolar
Tell me more about that stock setup... I hadn't considered a folding stock since I don't need an AR15 buffer and that's intriguing.
View Quote

It’s a KNS rail adapter with flange (need the with flange model to retain the takedown pin spring unless you thread the hole) with a Sig folding mechanism and PMM Kate Moss stock clone. Super comfortable IMO. Plus I can still put a BRN-180 upper on it once I buy one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top