Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2021 11:12:26 AM EDT
A friend of mine has a Nordic bolt from a rifle he no longer has.  Was thinking of using it in my rifle that uses a CMMG type bolt.  Seems like the Nordic bolt is a better design.  I've broken a couple of firing pins in the paste and wondering if this conversion is possible.  Looks like I'll have to get a new barrel collar and the Nordic used some type of metal that protrudes out of the collar.  ANyone know anything on thin conversion?
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Before you go down this route, try getting hold of a replacement Nordic firing pin... I've found them to be unobtanium. If you find a good source, please let me know.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The Nordic design does not use a barrel collar.  The bolt face of the Nordic pattern bolt butts up against the barrel and is a self contained unit.  Nordic, JP, RRA and DPMS Gen II use this pattern of bolt and barrel.   The barrel of the Nordic is patterned where the ejector is attached to the side of the barrel.  The CMMG bolt reciprocates on rails and the ejector is incorporated in the rail.

The closest design to the Nordic is the new BCA dedicated side charging 22 LR.  The pattern of the BCA bolt is very similar to the Nordic pattern bolt.

Unless your a machinist who can turn a barrel blank into a desired Nordic barrel it would be cheaper to buy a CMMG pattern bolt and barrel from RTB or buy a BCA.

Here is a picture of Nordic pattern bolt and schematic I got off the Nordic site.

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The CMMG/Ciener/Spikes/Atchisson design bolt/firing pin are relatively inexpensive but Bore Buddy has a very robust firing pin.   Since I started using two stage triggers with my CMMG bolts I have broken fewer firing pins than when I was using a mil spec single stage trigger.  I also keep spare firing pins for my dedicated 22 LR AR-15’s.

The CMMG Atchisson designed 22 LR bolt design is very prolific and has some positive features.  The extractor on the CMMG bolt is retained by a compression pin.  If you experience an out of battery ignition with a CMMG bolt you clear the malfunction, inspect the barrel for obstruction and if clear keep on shooting.   With the Nordic pattern bolt the extractor is retained by a spring and detent just like a Ruger 10/22.  You get an OOB with this design and usually the extractor, spring and detent are lost.

The Nordic design and the Tactical Solution uppers have fewer sources for parts and your forced to rely on the company of manufacturer for replacement parts.   Since Tactical Solutions has discontinued their 22 LR upper the availability of spare parts is in question.

https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-ar-premium-firing-pin/

Right to Bear carries Bore Buddy firing pins but are higher priced.

https://www.righttobear.com/22lr-parts-upgrades-accessories/
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok gentlemen thanks for all the help.  I'm going to scrap that ideal.  Have an extra Nordic bolt for sale listed on the EE if anyone is interested.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top