Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2021 12:31:15 AM EDT
OK, I've built a fair number of 9mm ARs now, and I've always used the bolts with the 90-degree key for solid purchase on the charging handle. I don't understand the 45-degree cut keys and how the charging handle can securely lock on them. How the fuck does that work?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If I am not mistaken the handle catches on the cutout on the front of the bolt.  If you look close the angled key has a small flat net to the bolt it catches on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OK, I've built a fair number of 9mm ARs now, and I've always used the bolts with the 90-degree key for solid purchase on the charging handle. I don't understand the 45-degree cut keys and how the charging handle can securely lock on them. How the fuck does that work?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since all of the components are made of rigid materials (AKA metal) and moving through a confined space, it's not physically possible for the front end of the charging handle to ride up the leading edge of an angled carrier key. And, as previously answered, the charging handle only connects with the lower flat portion of the bolt key to pull the bolt back.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
see picture the arrows points to handles contact points for a angled key and a different style key
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, got it...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top