Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 4:08:45 PM EDT
I know there is an Ammunition sub-forum but it's 99.9% 223/556.
One of my 8" 9mm SBR is for HD/SD and as occasional truck gun duty.  In my home I'm going to run 147gr Federal HST with suppressor; 25 yards would be pretty much the max. engagement distance and, god forbid, I ever had to engage someone in the house subsonic does have its appeal.

I started thinking about having a mag of supers along for the ride in our small RV where we might be doing some light off road and effectiveness at 100 yards has some appeal.  Ran across this article which includes better than anecdotal data.  I know gel results can be somewhat controversial , but they do seem to have relative merit. At muzzle distances 124gr +P gets the nod versus 147gr just based on a bit more muzzle energy, but it looks as though if you can handle the hold over at longer distances the 147gr doesn't do all that badly.  I'd be interested in what others think.

Edit: I should have added that Bryan mentioned I might need a tuning kit on hand.  Shouldn't need one with my buffer setup but YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Makes little difference. A lighter 9mm is going to drop to subsonic very quickly anyway. I'd stick with the 147s across the board and get good with them. Gravity is quite predictable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. If 100 yards is the max learn the holdover. You can even adjust your zero to maximize it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The subs will likely hold more energy at long distance.

I cast some 150gr plain base for 3030 over titegroup for volume subs from the levers. We mainly use this for friends & fam to plink at 50yd.

I ran some numbers...
At 200 yards the drop was 7 feet. My scope put that about the bottom of the reticle. I hit 3 of 5 @200yds first try. Bout the same power level your talkin' about.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I guesstimated 18" at 100 yards using the old reliable 1/2*a*t^2, gravity drop.  200 yards is at least 2x time of flight so 7' is right there.  An 18" hold over against a man-size target is no problem.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
My travel/camping/off roading gun is a Glock 17 in a flux brace with a dot. I run 147gn hst for everything I ask of it.

Shooting 8” plates:
Inside 25 just aim towards the center and no problem. 50 yards I hold on the top. 100 just put it at the bottom of my dot. So I would aim for the face at any distance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know there is an Ammunition sub-forum but it's 99.9% 223/556.
One of my 8" 9mm SBR is for HD/SD and as occasional truck gun duty.  In my home I'm going to run 147gr Federal HST with suppressor; 25 yards would be pretty much the max. engagement distance and, god forbid, I ever had to engage someone in the house subsonic does have its appeal.

I started thinking about having a mag of supers along for the ride in our small RV where we might be doing some light off road and effectiveness at 100 yards has some appeal.  Ran across this article which includes better than anecdotal data.  I know gel results can be somewhat controversial , but they do seem to have relative merit. At muzzle distances 124gr +P gets the nod versus 147gr just based on a bit more muzzle energy, but it looks as though if you can handle the hold over at longer distances the 147gr doesn't do all that badly.  I'd be interested in what others think.
View Quote

Fact is.....you'll need to test the ammo at various distances (chrono and range finder), with your gun set-up how you are going to want it set-up.

Discussion really does nothing.....testing provides real results.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fact is.....you'll need to test the ammo at various distances (chrono and range finder), with your gun set-up how you are going to want it set-up.

Discussion really does nothing.....testing provides real results.
View Quote

Most of this stuff was figured out a long time ago so the exact data can actually be found or if not something with almost identical results. You always need to put it in paper eventually but sometimes there’s no need to rehash something that’s been done a thousand times.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
The 147 gr Hornady  XTP is a boat tail bullet with a B.C. of 2.0.  From my 16 inch barrel, I get 1225 fps with the max charge of VV3n38.

The bullet is still going 950 fps at 200 yards.  Zeroed 3 inches high at 50 yards it will be right on at 100 yards, 11 inches low at 150 yards and 30 inches low at 200 yards.  Best to check to be sure of the trajectory as YMMV.

That load clocks at 1140 fps from my Glock 34.  I keep two rifle and two pistol mags loaded up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 147 gr Hornady  XTP is a boat tail bullet with a B.C. of 2.0.  From my 16 inch barrel, I get 1225 fps with the max charge of VV3n38.

The bullet is still going 950 fps at 200 yards.  Zeroed 3 inches high at 50 yards it will be right on at 100 yards, 11 inches low at 150 yards and 30 inches low at 200 yards.  Best to check to be sure of the trajectory as YMMV.

That load clocks at 1140 fps from my Glock 34.  I keep two rifle and two pistol mags loaded up.
View Quote

Glad to get the info.  I've loaded well north of 100K rounds for our 9mm 1911s and some for my competition SBR.  When the weather gets a bit warmer and the primer situation eases I might do some chrono work with warmer loads.  Right now I'm looking at factory, but running a 1050 with a Mark VII I wouldn't hesitate to reload for self defense with increased attention to case selection: new or once-fired.  This query started with my looking for Cd versus Mach data so I could do my own modeling; there is plenty out there, but perhaps not for defensive 9mm bullets.  Subsonic drag coefficient doesn't vary much over Mach, but as the bullet slows down through transonic Cd changes quite a bit.  Would definitely come into play trying to stretch out a supersonic load, but maybe not enough to make a difference.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top