Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2020 10:49:38 AM EDT
Posted over in the CMMG Industry section, but seems pretty dead over there. My Firing Pin broke in my stainless dedicated Bolt assembly. Actually broke into three pieces I thing. Probably broke once, then broke again after more use I assume. I do not even think I found the whole pin. I am sure CMMG will take care it promptly. But how often have you seen these fail? Maybe I would be smart to have a spare around too? Maybe a few? Kinda stinks as it broke right after I got to my shooting spot. Kinda ruins the fun for the day.

I know Taccom is out of the game. But anyone else making a aftermarket pin by chance people have had better luck with.

Rifle pic and broken pin.   Thanks

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep a couple bolt kits handy. all though, I have yet to need one...I'm sure at some point i will
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/parts-kits/repair-parts-kits/ar-15-m16-22lr-bolt-rehab-kit-prod65657.aspx
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
But how often have you seen these fail? Maybe I would be smart to have a spare around too? Maybe a few?
View Quote

I've never had a 22 firing pin not fail, eventually. It's definitely a weak point, a wear component, and something of which it's wise to keep a spare or two on hand.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know Taccom is out of the game. But anyone else making a aftermarket pin by chance people have had better luck with.

View Quote

A bird told me that you may want to keep checking borebuddy.com for an announcement in the coming weeks...or better yet Subscribe for updates here.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Signed up, will see what they come up with.Will let you know what CMMG says tomorrow about getting a  replacement..They have treated me very well with past issues. So hopefully will in this case also...I have to wander if CMMG is just making them too hard maybe? Too high on the Brinnel hardness and they are brittle maybe?. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Posted over in the CMMG Industry section, ... But how often have you seen these fail?
View Quote

Frequently.  One failed in 600 rounds.

In my first 7000 rounds I went through three.   I was using a Larue trigger, which has a monster hammer spring.

I switched to a reduce power hammer spring in a Larue, and then the same kind of spring with a Geissele.  I believe I have 10,000 on my current pin.  Vascar used a mil-spec hammer and had broken pins, but switched to a Rock River trigger or geissele and hasn't had a pin break in longer than that.

I've used Taccom pins, but found them no more durable than CMMG pins.

FWIW, I also grind the heel off the bottom of my FP so the hammer can only hit the center of the pin.   Someone posited that an off-center hammer strike might set up a weird resonance that encourages the pin to snap.

I don't dry fire unless I have removed the FP and I use a LRBHO and S&W magazines so I don't end up dry firing at the end of a magazine.

Quoted: Kinda stinks as it broke right after I got to my shooting spot.
View Quote

This is one of those situations in which one is none.  On the bright side, you'll never go out without a spare FP again.

Another part that wears is the extractor.  It doesn't seem to hinder extraction during fire, but it won't pull out a live round.

Quoted:

A bird told me that you may want to keep checking borebuddy.com for an announcement in the coming weeks...
View Quote

Smart bird.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for taking the time to help.

I am using a standard spring as far as I know. Whatever came in my lower parts kit from Anderson I think it was. I think I am understanding the grinding the lower part of the rear of the pin. But happen to have a pic showing exactly what is done? No big deal, but if you care to and can I would appreciate it.

Only mags I have that do the last shop hold open using the follower are some Sig Sauer ones. My Blackdog Drum makes it hard to accurately count all 50 rounds to know it is empty. I have some SWs but no adapter for them. Should get one I suppose.

Generally a semi auto blowback 22 does not really even need an extractor, other than as you mentioned, For live round extraction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Like this:

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've also broken one. But it was after several thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Carbineone, I forgot that you have a binary trigger.

Can you use a low power hammer spring with that?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#10]
as Renaissancemann commented, round the strike end of the pin so the hammer strikes as close to the center line as possible... I broke a blue steel pin from the OEM upper at about 400 rounds, which they immediately replaced... I rounded an OEM Colt stainless pin and it has been in both the blow back and RDB upper for at least 8000 rounds
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Tried a low power blue one that came with it. Got many light strikes. I kinda wander if these dedicated uppers would not benefit from some sort a two piece firing pin design? Maybe it would worsen matters? Titanium? I sure do not have the answer, but will keep thinking

I can sure do the rounding trick in my Lathe. Cannot hurt try I suppose. Will be eagerly waiting what BoreBuddy comes up with and hopefully it will be a really good solution.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tried a low power blue one that came with it. Got many light strikes. I kinda wander if these dedicated uppers would not benefit from some sort a two piece firing pin design?
View Quote

It sort of devolves into a two piece FP anyway, doesn't it?

I have a stupid idea that I'll just toss out for consideration.

The hammer on the binary trigger looks to me like the hammer we refer to as "mil-spec" with all the binary magic happening with the disconnector and selector.  I would be reluctant to modify such an expensive piece.  

Could you get a spare milspec style hammer and grind off the extra weight?  It would give you more hammer speed with the blue spring.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I do have a spare standard hammer I could mess around with. Yes it does appears they break into atleast two pieces to start with.

I wander if a standard AR firing pin could modified into a dedicated pin and be any better? Or it would just snap too? Looks like with some work in my Lathe/Mill, it could be made to work possibly. Would it then be a stronger Pin? Just not sure on that part of it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Both .22 AR firing pins shown below came from CMMG.
Broken firing pin:  Less than 1000 rounds, rounded head, square cut firing pin retainer notch.
Replacement firing pin (replaced free, same as is what is now in use): More than 5000 rounds, flat head, stress relief fillets at firing pin retainer notch.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is shaped like the one in your photo on top. I have had this BCG for at least
three years. So I must have the older style Pin? Maybe I will have better luck with the newer style then?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Both .22 AR firing pins shown below came from CMMG.
Broken firing pin:  Less than 1000 rounds, rounded head, square cut firing pin retainer notch.
Replacement firing pin (replaced free, same as is what is now in use): More than 5000 rounds, flat head, stress relief fillets at firing pin retainer notch.

https://i.imgur.com/3fzNZam.jpg
View Quote
A sharp 90 degree shoulder is weak compared to a radius. I've seen everything from small pins to 6" diameter solid steel rollers break because of a square cut shoulder. When ever I had to make pins or big rollers/shafts for machines, I always put at least a small radius at any shoulders to prevent breakage. The bottom firing pin should last say longer than the top one did.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I finally broke the original one that was supplied with my bolt at about the 3k, maybe 4k mark.  With a binary trigger it doesn't take long to rack up the miles.  I bought a few rehab kits from CMMG and used an entire kit to replace everything including the broken pin because I figured the rest of the parts were already high mileage.  I stashed the other kit in my parts pile.  I'm probably overdue for it to break again lol.  

As he already mentioned earlier in the thread keep an eye on www.borebuddy.com

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The bottom firing pin should last say longer than the top one did.
View Quote

The bottom design has a 90 degree cut near the tip.  That's where mine break.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#19]
the Colt pattern pin has a flange at the rear, and a much smaller strike area that I round

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/firing-pin-parts/firing-pins/ar6951-9mm-firing-pin-prod4829.aspx
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Been in contact with CMMG, hopefully will be a couple new pins in the mail this week..
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Been in contact with CMMG, hopefully will be a couple new pins in the mail this week..
View Quote

They are very good about that.  Writing as someone who has bought a lot of their stuff, it's part of the reason I keep buying it.  It conveys a sense of confidence in the future of their place in this market.

Not that I would be upset if they marketed a new and miraculously durable firing pin.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I sure do not have the answer to a firing pin that will last. But I have to wander if stainless steel is really the best choice for the material. I think a guy would do better with a somewhat softer, less brittle material. I think I will turn one out on my Lathe from just a grade 8 bolt and see how it does just for kicks. I am betting it will last longer. I may heat and dip both ends in my hardening compound too. I will let you all know how the experiment goes. If that fails I will make one with some air hard steel and give that a try too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I would use S7 tool steel properly heat treated if it was me. I would also make sure that there is a radius at every shoulder on the firing pin. You could use A2 or O1 tool steel properly heat treated also. As a retired tool and Die maker, I know that tool steel properly heat treated will hold up just fine.  I really need to get myself a decent mini lathe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I will turn one out on my Lathe...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think I will turn one out on my Lathe...

Quoted:
As a retired tool and Die maker, ...

God's gonads.  Am I the only mechanically incompetent fellow in here?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I can use tool steel. And can heat treat in the oven. But if I do that, and fire up the oven. I will have to make way more than one to justify the cost of running the oven to my buddy, who owns said oven. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I took a picture of my firing pin so everyone can see what I am talking about as far as square corners where a radius should be. It seems that they break right where I circled due to the square shoulder.

Attachment Attached File

I did send the photo to CMMG with my suggestion about machining a radius at the shoulders. We'll see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Kinda disappointed. Wanted to try to take the Rifle back out this weekend since I could not with the broken pin last week. Never heard back from CMMG or received a pin yet. They are very close by to me in the next State. Usually they are quick to respond and get stuff out. The way things are they must be really busy I suppose though. Will call em Monday and see if I can get a confirmation it is being dealt with at all, or I got lost in the shuffle,m spam email or what not..Just used to having a problem rectified in a few days with them... So they spoiled me maybe.. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I sure do not have the answer to a firing pin that will last. But I have to wander if stainless steel is really the best choice for the material. I think a guy would do better with a somewhat softer, less brittle material. I think I will turn one out on my Lathe from just a grade 8 bolt and see how it does just for kicks. I am betting it will last longer. I may heat and dip both ends in my hardening compound too. I will let you all know how the experiment goes. If that fails I will make one with some air hard steel and give that a try too.
View Quote

Maybe hardened hammer strike end and case contact end, and softer shaft middle would work well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a binary trigger in my AR.  The firing pin broke during my last range trip after about 2,000 total rounds since I got it.  I keep 3 of these in my pistol grip now.
Right to bear firing pin and spring.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a cmmg dedicated upper. I run it on a transferable m16 and I break those pins all the time. Cmmg is has great customer service,  they send me 3 at a time. I hit em up when I'm down to last spare. It's the best way to keep slinging lead
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I think they need to just come up with something more durable, or send a couple hundred to everyone who owns a Dedicated Bolt..They would save alot on time and  shipping if they would just send a 100 at once. No reason something could not be made that would last atleast  5000 rounds. Even 3000 or even 2000 would be a big improvement
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

God's gonads.  Am I the only mechanically incompetent fellow in here?
View Quote
No you sure aren't.

I went through machinist school while in the Army and worked a lot with armorers fixing weapons and then worked as a tool and die maker, mill wright, and industrial maintenance machinist after getting out of the Army.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I think they need to just come up with something more durable, or send a couple hundred to everyone who owns a Dedicated Bolt..They would save alot on time and  shipping if they would just send a 100 at once. No reason something could not be made that would last atleast  5000 rounds. Even 3000 or even 2000 would be a big improvement
View Quote
If they would just machine a small radius into the firing pin at each shoulder, that would help reduce firing pins breaking. a sharp 90 degree at a shoulder is always a weak point on anything from a small pin to giant turbine shafts.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Getting somewhat upset at CMMG. No one in sales answers the phone. Just says Kathy is away from the phone. Anybody else have any luck talking to them lately? At least answer the phone or acknowledge you are getting my emails.

It appears they do not even look at their Industry section here anymore. Why have it at all?  Thanks

Update

Will, (Renissanceman) from Borebuddy was very kind to send me one of his pre production prototype pins. I appreciate it very much. I received it today and it looks very promising to me. Looks very well done. I will not get out till this weekend to give it try. But I have confidence in it for sure. Again very nice of him and Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I am not affiliated with this guy, but I just ordered two titanium firing pins from him.

https://www.valmontfirearms.net/product-page/kriss-22-titanium-firing-pin

I also don’t have my Banshee yet.

I’m interested in the Borebuddy pin. I’ve bought all his currently offered upgrades.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Might be a option sometime,the titanium one. What did that pin from GB cost total to get it over here? Just checked the Pound Conversion. 80.00 for a firing, I guess that is not for me.

I did run out last night and tried the Bore Buddy proto with 50 rounds last night. Not a big test but it performed as expected.

CMMG did get back to me today. Hopefully they are sending me a replacement out..
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Might be a option sometime,the titanium one. What did that pin from GB cost total to get it over here? Just checked the Pound Conversion. 80.00 for a firing, I guess that is not for me.

I did run out last night and tried the Bore Buddy proto with 50 rounds last night. Not a big test but it performed as expected.

CMMG did get back to me today. Hopefully they are sending me a replacement out..
View Quote

15 pounds for shipping. No idea when it will get here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Regardless of the price. Please let me know how it works out or if it breaks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Regardless of the price. Please let me know how it works out or if it breaks.
View Quote

I will  I’ll take pics and all when they get here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Hard to tell in the photos, but it looks like you DID put a small radius at all the shoulders. If so, that will help with pins breaking.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I took a picture of my firing pin so everyone can see what I am talking about as far as square corners where a radius should be. It seems that they break right where I circled due to the square shoulder.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101824/CMMG_pin_SM_jpg-1434913.JPG

I did send the photo to CMMG with my suggestion about machining a radius at the shoulders. We'll see what they say.
View Quote
I still have not heard back from CMMG yet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, a radius at every shoulder, with special attention to surface finish in those areas as well.  My overpriced degrees did teach me about stress concentrations
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes, a radius at every shoulder, with special attention to surface finish in those areas as well.  My overpriced degrees did teach me about stress concentrations
View Quote
Good deal. I still say that is why the CMMG pins keep breaking because they do not machine a radius at each shoulder.

I've learned from years as a tool and die maker and maintenance machinist and working very closely with engineers during design stages.

I probably should have ordered a pin or two when I ordered my bolt weight and Lee press LED light kit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#45]
CMMG did come through with a replacement pin. But going to keep running the Borebuddy one I was given and see how it works. I hopefully will not have to even use the CMMG one. Gonna get al least 1 or 2 of the Borebuddy ones to keep around too.

Those are pretty looking pins. So Renaissanceman, are yours stainless or just highly polished. Cannot remember if that was mentioned or not.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#46]
They are considered semi-stainless and those are as-machined, before heat treatment.  They'll dull and the color will change a bit with heat treatment, but they should look nice.  I don't expect them to rust in normal use, but a little bit of oil is always a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Preordered the borebuddy
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Heat treat turned them a beautiful plum color:

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top