Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2018 8:46:07 PM EDT
Just got this today, used.

The CMMG bolt wouldn't chamber on 2 Palmetto uppers... looks like the "gold" part doesn't fit the lugs on my AR's...

They are 5.56 NATO chamber

Please help

new picture:

edit 2:
14.5mm

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that a 22lr with a 223 in it
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a 22lr with a 223 in it
View Quote
.556 upper with the conversion kit. I added a third pic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
take a picture and post it of the camber adapter with the black shipping protector removed. So we can see it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Measure the outer diameter of the bronze collar.  From what I've read and my limited experience, it should be about 14.3 mm.  Much larger than that, and it may need to be turned down to fit into the lug region of the barrel extension on some barrels.

Also, make sure that you have the charging handle pushed all the way forward.  A stiff charging handle latch will retard complete insertion of the .22 conversion assembly.

Best of luck with your conversion unit.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
556 and 223 are slightly different    is that made for 223  chamber
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
take a picture and post it of the camber adapter with the black shipping protector removed. So we can see it.
View Quote

Once he takes the condom off it will fit properly and we'll all laugh.

Well, bugger.  Customer service, the lathe, or Dremel your way to a dedicated bbl.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
It is not unheard of getting a chamber insert that is out spec.   Could be tolerance stacking but the brass is the same whether 5.56 or 223 Remington.  Only the throat or leade is difference between 5.56, Wylde or 223 Remington chamber.    PSA advised someone on another forum they sourced their conversion bolts from CMMG.   I suspect you got an out of spec chamber insert or failed to remove the protective plastic sleave.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have updater the op with a new picture to show how far the conversion kit goes.

PS>
The black protector has been removed before I inserted the bolt group.

Edit:
Quoted:
Measure the outer diameter of the bronze collar.  From what I've read and my limited experience, it should be about 14.3 mm.  Much larger than that, and it may need to be turned down to fit into the lug region of the barrel extension on some barrels.

Also, make sure that you have the charging handle pushed all the way forward.  A stiff charging handle latch will retard complete insertion of the .22 conversion assembly.

Best of luck with your conversion unit.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
I'm measuring 14.5, many thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a problem the same way with a 5.56x45 chambered PSA upper. My CMMG bolt worked fine in 3 other uppers without a hitch. I cleaned up the bushing and reassembled the chamber adapter. I then made a flapper out of a wooden dowel and 3 grits of sand paper. I ran it at slow speed and went from 240 to 400 grit paper until the unit fit as it did in my other uppers and since life has been good.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top