Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2013 8:32:44 PM EDT
Ok, so here's where I am... I have a 9mm Spikes AR and I'm going to build a short upper for it... I am torn on doing a 10.5 with the FSB or going 5" or so and doing the 9" rail (suppressor attached).. This will be a suppressed upper 99% of the time. My main concern is keeping rounds subsonic. I looked at the ballistics by length website, but those numbers just don't seem quite right on a few rds/lengths.

Looking for some first hand experience from someone with a 5"+/- and a 10.5 on rounds staying subsonic. I'd be shooting 147gr subs as that's all I can really consistently find reasonably priced. I also have a decent stash of the new Federal 124gr suppressor rounds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
5" will generally keep everything subsonic and, when you add the length of your can, results in a rifle that is still compact.

Again, generally speaking, in 9" the heaviest (>147) projos might remain subsonic; subsonic ammo to be certain.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been looking around the past hour or so and I think I'm going to order a GM 10.5 barrel and ship it to Adco to cut to 5" and thread 1/2x28 then run a 9" rail which should put my Tirant about 2.5 inches out of the rail
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:35:56 AM EDT
[#3]
ADCO has 5 in barrels  1/2x28 or sale on their website for $160.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
i got their 4.5" barrel... it looks awesome (not done building it yet) and it was shipped fast!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I have heard, they use the left over pieces from when they cut someone else's barrel to make them into new barrels. Hearing this has kind of steered me from getting one of theirs as I really have no idea of the origin or round count
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I have heard, they use the left over pieces from when they cut someone else's barrel to make them into new barrels. Hearing this has kind of steered me from getting one of theirs as I really have no idea of the origin or round count
View Quote

And how exactly would they do this?  When people have their barrels cut down, they generally want to keep the end with the chamber....

Back on topic - I've got a 5" TROSUSA barrel that love; I've never had a 147gn round go supersonic through it.

-bob
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And how exactly would they do this?  When people have their barrels cut down, they generally want to keep the end with the chamber....

Back on topic - I've got a 5" TROSUSA barrel that love; I've never had a 147gn round go supersonic through it.

-bob
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-bob

Adco installs barrel extensions in house. The cut portion is basically a "blank"
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
all of our barrels are made from blanks, not cutoff pieces. If you look closely at them, they are one solid piece not a screwed on extension.
View Quote

That is great to know and I'll for sure give them a closer look. There was a thread from one of your "regular walk in" customers that posted a pic of one he had that still had the cut where a FSB was installed and said you guys used the left over pieces from previous cuts. What's the twist on your barrels?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Fwiw I never had a 147 go supersonic out of my 10.5.

That said I'm about to go 7.3 for more compactness.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top