Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2013 12:15:53 AM EDT
Who offer the "better" .22 bolt assemblies?
I like the CMMG and Taccom. Any others you'd recommend?
Is a forward assist of any use on a .22lr upper?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:44:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I never use the forward assist--sure I like the idea of it, but my CMMG FA block caused multiple failures, so I threw it out--no problems after that.
In my opinion, at the moment, you can't do any better than TACCOM--the owner is a great guy who goes above and beyond all expectations to make sure everyone is happy and all guns are 100%.  No big company can hold a torch to him.  Having had both setups, I don't have a preference--CMMG makes great stuff--but Tim's dedication, innovation and generosity made me a TACCOM customer for life.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never tested Tim's Bolt but think the world of him and his product innovation.
I've tested so many of CMMG's S/S Bolts in the past and all have worked flawlessly.
Either, Or. Both great companies and people....

Dave / SpecOps-13 in Florida
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The only Taccom products I own are from the reliability kit. Not because of
any lack of quality or commitment on Taccom's behalf, it is because I have no
need for ultra-lightweight anything. Almost 100% of my shooting is done off a
bench rest or bipod and weight is not a negative issue when shooting those
techniques.

I do own an 18" Beyer SPR barrel but weight wasn't the reason I bought it,
it was the reputation for accuracy and ruggedness.

I am a careful observer of human nature and Tim has intrigued me from his
very first posts he's made here. All of the posts made in response to Taccom show
Tim and his operation to be one of genuine and sincere desire to move the
sport forward in a positive way.

While his business grows, I think Tim will continue to make every effort to keep
his customers pleased with 1st class service and excellent, unique, products.

CMMG also makes excellent products and makes a sincere effort to provide
top rated CS. CMMG is the only maker that offers FWD Assist for the .22lr
AR and, like in my 40+ years of loving/hating the AR15, I've never had an
occasion to use the FA. On an AR22 I think you are not doing yourself a favor
trying to ram a fragile thin cased cartridge into a tight/dirty chamber that is too tight to load.

Both CMMG and Taccom are well made and reliable products with excellent CS.

Ted
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Both are great BCG's.

Taccom is nickel plated, already has the reliability kit installed, and is less expensive.
Customer Service can't be beat.

CMMG is stainless and does have the optional forward assist.
Field stripo without tools.
The FA blocks I have seen just rattle around on the bcg due to looseness.
Only time I used the FA was when loading 60 gr. SSS.
Once upon a time, CS was great.

Ceiner's will run with lots of lube.
Customer service is all but non existent

Velocity Arms makes a good, USA made BCG. (According to other testers I spoke with)
I've talked with the owner. Seems to be on top of things but I have not tested the BCG.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Ted, I have to agree 100% with you once more.

TACCOM=small shop with very knowledgeable owner and super service second to none.

CMMG=very nice product that I have had nothing but good service from.

Either way you can not go wrong.

As for the FA....your call. Mine works fine and while I don't "ram" it home I have used it once or twice to give a gentle nudge just to make sure a round was chambered fully.  Never a good idea to run a .22 so dirty that you have to ram on the bolt to make it function.  Can't say any more than that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say no, the forward assist is of no use. We have one setup in one of our CMMGs, but never used it...I actually got rid of it recently altogether..

As far as Bolts, only own two CMMG stainless ones. I would think I would prefer the stainless over coated, but I do know if Tim makes it, they should be good to go.

We have one of his barrels, firing pins and Plugs and love that stuff, so his other stuff is more likely top notch too. I did have customer service dealings with him once and he spent a good half hour on the phone chatting with me about it. Turns out it was not his product, that was causing the problem in the end anyway.. That is great service..

CMMGs customer service was great the one time I had to use it too..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Only time I've run into a need for the forward assist on a 22 upper was when it got really dirty - as in doing MG rentals and putting several thousand rounds through it in an afternoon, with not a lot of time to break down and clean in between shooters.  Unless you're in that environment, it's probably much better to clean the thing than keep running when it's dirty enough to require the use of the assist.

That said, I do like having the same functionality in my 22 uppers as their centerfire big brothers, even if I never have to actually use it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I happen to have a Tactical Solutions set up that I love. I have owned CMMG  it was fine nothing bad to say but I sold it to a buddy. I also had a Spikes 22lr  found it vry pick about cleaning and ammo but if you kept up with cleaning is was ok.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top