Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2013 5:28:06 PM EDT
Well I just machined an "EP Lower" 80% polymer lower receiver, and I'm sitting here looking at it and wondering: How would this thing hold up in a 9mm application?

Has anyone done this?
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
When I had a 9mm upper I ran it on one of my CavArms lowers. Worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply; that's encouraging. (I was worried about "egging" the hammer pin holes).

Can you estimate how many rounds you might have put through it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably 5k rounds down my cavarms 9mm host, no problems.
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably only had 500 rounds or so through it (I'm guessing since its been a little while). The CavArms guys had a few they put 10s of thousands of rounds through and they should be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well I just machined an "EP Lower" 80% polymer lower receiver, and I'm sitting here looking at it and wondering: How would this thing hold up in a 9mm application?

Has anyone done this?
View Quote

Care to share a link for buying info?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anyone done this?

I've got no affiliation, just providing the requested link, and linking a pic from their site.

http://www.eplowers.com
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You can also get them from Midwest Industries.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you getting your 9mm uppers and mags?
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I think 9mmAR has some RRA uppers, and I see metalform 9mm magazines at several places, e.g., Midway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply; that's encouraging. (I was worried about "egging" the hammer pin holes).

Can you estimate how many rounds you might have put through it?
View Quote

you could ramp the bolt to help with this, the 9mm AR is known for being hard on hammer pins . mine is on a rock river 9mm lower it has had over 2000 rounds through it and shows no ware on the hammer pins the bolt was ramped when it was built.  but I do enjoy my 9mm AR and it is cheap to play with on the range as any AR gets
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The nice part about the CavArms or the new GWACS armory lowers, is that you can use the Hahn CavArms 9mm magblock which is VERY nice and fits the magwell like a glove.

http://shop.hahn-precision.com/Cavarms-MKII-9mm-Adapter-C9CRT1009.htm

All Colt upper. CavArms lower with Hahn magblock. Functions perfectly!

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The nice part about the CavArms or the new GWACS armory lowers, is that you can use the Hahn CavArms 9mm magblock which is VERY nice and fits the magwell like a glove.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/9mm%20AR/d95ceda7_zpsfba324ac.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/wd1_zpsebb3e647.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/9mm%20AR/d95ceda7_zpsfba324ac.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/wd1_zpsebb3e647.jpg

That does look nice. I just ran mine with the standard RRA block and didn't have any issues but the cam pin retention method didn't inspire confidence. I was always afraid it would crack the sonic weld on the front of the magwell (though it didn't).
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Poly lower is probably fine assuming all else is right.

Poly FCG can be problematic in some cases with 9mm builds. I found that out today the hard way. I tried a poly FCG from a NFA lower in a DDLES lower today and they are at least not compatible with my ramped bolt. Hammer sear would catch, but disco would not. I just wanted to find out if it would run.... and I found out

evl....
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Cavarms (or now Gwacs) is the only plastic lower I would own, much less use for 9mm.  They are not the same as the plastic lowers that pretend they are the same as metal lowers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That does look nice. I just ran mine with the standard RRA block and didn't have any issues but the cam pin retention method didn't inspire confidence. I was always afraid it would crack the sonic weld on the front of the magwell (though it didn't).
View Quote

The only mag wells that ever cracked were manufacturing defects from not being welded hard enough or the weld area was contaminated.  If a receiver failed it did so almost immediately, not hundreds or thousands of rounds into its service life.  

Where as CAV would run receivers once a year, GWACS runs them regularly so they have the vibration welding processes dialed in much better than we did at CAV Arms.  The GWACS receivers are better made with better QA.

Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]
My favorite 9mm AR was one I built with a Cav Arms lower. I used a RRA mag wel adapter which once adjusted ran 100%.  That rifle was well balanced, light, and fit well. I sold off some of the upper parts but kept my Cav Arms lower. My only regret was not buying a couple more colors. Maybe I can add a FDE one later...I love the Cav lowers.

Do NOT compare the NFA or ATI or other plastic lowers to the Cav Arms (I now...they have a new name now...but I am old and just know Cav who developed them).  The Cav Arms lower was designed to be made of the material it was produced in. They didn't do a copy of a lower designed for metal as they are two different materials with different properties. I do run a ATI Omni lower on a budget .22 build and for that use its OK. But NO WAY would I build a 9mm on the Omni, I think it would not withstand the beating. I could be wrong but ..... I don't want to take  a chance.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The only mag wells that ever cracked were manufacturing defects from not being welded hard enough or the weld area was contaminated.  If a receiver failed it did so almost immediately, not hundreds or thousands of rounds into its service life.  

Where as CAV would run receivers once a year, GWACS runs them regularly so they have the vibration welding processes dialed in much better than we did at CAV Arms.  The GWACS receivers are better made with better QA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear. I was starting to use mine (which I picked up a while before) right around the time of the CavAid situation and a few cracked welds were being reported. Mine were much older, closeouts from Armalite, that I stuck in the back of the safe. I really like the CavArms lowers for a solid lightweight setup.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top