Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 11:39:01 AM EDT
How wet should I run the bolt during break-in?  Should I do the same after 500+ rounds??

I just got my Spike's 9mm upper, mag block, buffer and mags delivered to me.  I plan to run it this weekend.  I'll try factory 9mm ammo first, then switch to my reloads after it runs reliably on factory stuff.

I'll test the Spike's mags and then the Metalform mags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I run my blowback pistol-cal ARs dripping wet (as stated in your other thread)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I lightly oil the entire bolt, but put a little extra on the key.  Any more than that and it gets dirty really fast, especially when shooting suppressed.  Spikes mags are metalform.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely dripping wet.  If you're not being sprayed with oil when you fire, you don't have enough on the bolt.  I run my 5.56's the same way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I find that lots of oil is a big mess.  Dirt, dust stick to it and it and it splatters around till it gets hot.  Then gravity gets it and it runs off the parts you don't want to wear are now rubbing on each other.  

My pistols and rifles get Brownell's Action lube.  It doesn't take a lot and it stays put even when it gets hot.  I have been using this on my competition pistols and rifles for close to 20 years.  

My 2 cents

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I run mine with as little lube as I can....both my 9mm and my 5,56 ARs........they seem to stay alot cleaner that way for me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I find that lots of oil is a big mess.  Dirt, dust stick to it and it and it splatters around till it gets hot.  Then gravity gets it and it runs off the parts you don't want to wear are now rubbing on each other.  

My pistols and rifles get Brownell's Action lube.  It doesn't take a lot and it stays put even when it gets hot.  I have been using this on my competition pistols and rifles for close to 20 years.  

My 2 cents

If you are concerned with the oil running, try DuLite's DuraLube.  It's a mixture of oil and wax and does not run after applied.

At work, we did MILES training for the last month.  Using standard oil based lube and even grease, we experienced malfunctions after the rifles started getting dirty.  Very dirty, actually.  Blanks suck.

The last few days definately saw the most rounds.  We went through just under 2000 rounds in five rifles in two days.  As a test, I brought some Mobil 1 10w40 and DuraLube.  The two test rifles were problem free.  They definately started the day dripping wet, and the Mobil 1 lubed rifle stayed that way.  It doesn't burn off like standard oil lube does.  The rifles lubed with Remoil were burnt dry after the first few drills.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the 411 ,folks!

I'm taking it to the range (rain or shine) on Sunday.

These mags are a bee-yotch to load.  I just ordered a MagLula for them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to run my 9mm very wet. Ran like a top that way but was very messy. Started using MolySlide paste and it ran just as good. Paste stayed where you put it and didn't make as much of a mess.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people are in the wet camp. I'm in the dry camp. I run my 6450 dry. Has 1000+ rounds since last cleaned. Only oil it ever sees is when it is cleaned. Runs fine, no hiccups. I don't expect anyone to agree with my routine, that is just how I do it.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, I ran it today!   Ran like a friggin' champ!!

I ran it slightly "moist" with CLP.  I also ran Tetra Gun Grease in some critical wear areas.   No problems so far.   I only ran 6 32-round mags through it.

It likes my reloads and factory ammo equally.  The Spike's/Metalform mags were flawless too.

This may be my new "Fav" for a while!!!!!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top