Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 2:33:52 PM EDT
Well, awhile back I desided to go as long as I could with out cleaning my Spikes upper.  I've fired over 2500 rounds of six or seven types of ammo and today was the first failure to eject and I had the first ever failure to fire.  Light primer strike i think.  I loaded the round with the primer strike on the bottom and it went bang the second try.  I'll have to see how the crome cleans up tonight.  So far mine likes the CCI blazer the best at 50 yards.  I can get ten shots most the time inside a 1 1/2 inch black paster.  Three types of Federal will always have two or three outside of paster and American eagle  and two types of Winchester will do the same or worst.  Now to get a couple of cases of CCI's cheap and I'll be good to go.  Donald

(added) Finely figured out the picture thing.  Here's my spikes

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the CCI Blazers 40gr lead round nose bulk pack?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Consider yourself lucky.  That few malfunctions with a .22lr is a great number.  My malfs every 5 or 10 rounds so I wish I had your "problem"!  
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a pretty good run. I get 1-2 failures every 500 rounds or so on Federal or American Eagle ammo. Mine doesn't like Cci one bit as it jams every mag. on that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
IslandBoy it is the CCI lead 40 gr. stuff.  Mine at first was tempermental so I mod-ed the hammer spring and made my own sear spring.  I then polished the crap out of all the contact points.  The trigger is so light and  smooth you don't feel any take up.  I covered this somewhere else on another thread but I guess it should be mentioned again.  My mod to the hammer spring was to bend back the two wires until the hammer was to light to fire a round.  I then bent them back the other way until it fired every time.  I made a sear spring from a spring I got a ACE hardward.  The spring is the same size as the factory spring but was much softer.  I cut it at first the same length as the factory spring but it was to weak and would not hold back the hammer.  I then cut it about three coils longer and it works like a champ.  The spring from ACE is, I think, six inches long so you could make twenty sear springs from the thing if you had to.  Best of luck out there and this is just what I did. You should play safe and remember I did not say this is how to do it.  Donald
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine will only run on Federal ammo nothing else works.
Pat
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Pat as I said mine was picky to until I tried the tricks on the board here and made my own sear spring.  I could have ordered a lower power spring kit but no one had one at the time and I did not want to wait.  I believe if you try one of those and do the other little things it will help alot.
I did polish the chamber and feed ramp to.  As a matter of fact.  The feed ramp on the barrel did not line up with the ramp on the collar. So I used my dremil to extend it abit and polish it to.  That helped with feeding I'm sure.  My problem was ejections mostly and I believe the springs are the problem there.  Donald
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top