Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 1:42:27 PM EDT
I'm building an M4/tactical/scoped AR with a Model 1 Sales, 24" standard heavy barrel. (1/9 twist) .

Does anyone have any experience running a 22 kit in a 24" barrel ?  .... badazzar ???

Are there any issues with, or advantages of, using the long 24" barrel with a 22 kit?

What affect, if any, will the additional 4" of barrel length (compared to a standard 20" barrel) have on operation, reliability, velocity, and most importantly accuracy ??
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Optimum barrel length for most 22lr ammo is 16 to 18 inches.   Longer barrels CAN actually slow the velocity down because of the capabilities of the small powder charge. I tried experimenting with a 26 inch real 1:16 22lr barrel on an AR15 upper. It didn't do worth a flip until length was reduced below 20 inches.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Optimum barrel length for most 22lr ammo is 16 to 18 inches.   Longer barrels CAN actually slow the velocity down because of the capabilities of the small powder charge. I tried experimenting with a 26 inch real 1:16 22lr barrel on an AR15 upper. It didn't do worth a flip until length was reduced below 20 inches.

How did it do "not worth a flip"? Accuracy? Reliability?
I've seen a lot of bullseye guns that shoot bugspots with28" barrels.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did it do "not worth a flip"? Accuracy? Reliability?
I've seen a lot of bullseye guns that shoot bugspots with28" barrels.

Notice I said MOST ammo. If your shooting cheap off the shelf ammo the above rule is true. If the bullet starts to decelerate before exiting the barrel you will not likely get good results. It was not accurate until shortening the barrel. I finally reduced it to 16" and was happy.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Fair enough.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top