Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2008 11:36:54 PM EDT
Those of you who have removed the standard handguards from your V22, will have found the trhreaded boss that it screws onto, with holes for two lugs(presumably for a wrench). Is this boss also the barrel retaining 'nut'? If not , is it just to mount the handguard on and there is a further threaded fitting behind it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:53:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It is one solid nut. It is the barrel retaining nut and the handguard screws onto it. Hope this helps. Is yours stuck?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Not so much stuck as on backwards apparently..........but when I can get a tool of some sort on it, it might well be stuck.....................
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar problem when I tried to remove mine. I used a strap wrench to tighten the nut to the handguard  and applied some penetrating oil on the barrel nut threads where it screws onto the receiver.  You may want to try loctiting the handguard onto the nut so that it will come off as one piece.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not so much stuck as on backwards apparently..........but when I can get a tool of some sort on it, it might well be stuck.....................

You need a spanner wrench. I do not remember the specific name of the one that has the pins sticking out of the side though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a spanner wrench. I do not remember the specific name of the one that has the pins sticking out of the side though.

Mine's on backwards, so the regular 3 holes for the wrench are against the receiver. However, there are two much larger holes drilled on the side facing out. I don't know whether they are standard or the dealer drilled them but I can make up something to fit them if I have to........
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine's on backwards, so the regular 3 holes for the wrench are against the receiver. However, there are two much larger holes drilled on the side facing out. I don't know whether they are standard or the dealer drilled them but I can make up something to fit them if I have to........

It can't be on backwards. The two holes are standard. There is a shoulder at the bottom of the threads that holds the barrel on. It can only go on one way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It can't be on backwards. The two holes are standard. There is a shoulder at the bottom of the threads that holds the barrel on. It can only go on one way.

Well now I am confused. Go up 3 posts to the pics and those three holes you see on the barrel nut are against the receiver. The two larger holes face out and are opposing..
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well now I am confused. Go up 3 posts to the pics and those three holes you see on the barrel nut are against the receiver. The two larger holes face out and are opposing..

The three holes are against the receiver on mine.  The two holes face out.  If your V22's barrel nut is on like mine then it is properly assembled.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top