Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2008 10:02:07 AM EDT
So having put about 1k rounds through it so far, it's flawless on semiauto, but it really is having some issues with fullauto.

Through the breaking in process I had some FTE issues, but as it wore down the parkerized wear surfaces (and the polishing I did) this seem to have gone away.

What I am having now appears to be 99% light primer strikes.  I am using the Federal 550 value pack (dark red color on the box)

This is also with a suppressor on it primarily, though it acts the same without the suppressor on it.

Any suggestions?  I saw someone recommend cutting 2 coils off of the firing pin spring.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Onyx
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are getting light primmer strikes I think cutting the FP spring would only get you even lighter primer strikes.  Maybe a stronger FP spring?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't the FP spring what holds the pin from hitting the primer unless it was hit firmly by the hammer?  It's not the hammer spring.

Onyx
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen most people say the Federal is the best ammo to use.  I have use it some in my 22 uppers and have only had trouble with it.  I use Remington mainly.  I still have light primer hits occasionally but not as often.

If you can get your firing pin spring out you can cut it down and it might help your problem.  Do you have a lighter hammer or stock spring?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the stock hammer and hammer spring on my M16A1, so I don't want to mod anything in the RR if at all possible, as I have a LWRC  upper for it that runs like a sewing machine.... that is if sewing machines made huge noise and fireballs and destroyed stuff really well. :)

Onyx
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We had problems with a Ciener not going fully into battery which gives a very light hammer strike on the case.  I fixed this by replacing the standard Ciener recoil spring with the Lakeside spring kit.  If you buy the lakeside spring kit it comes with 3 recoil springs so you can cut to the length which is best for your upper/kit/lower.  This solved almost all our functioning problems with Ciener till it get very dirty or I broke a firing pin.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a good idea, I will pick one of those up and see if that helps.

Cheers!

Onyx
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks badazzar15, I appreciate that.  I am trying to tinker a bit as I enjoy learning how to make all this work, but if I can't resolve it easily I will send it back for you to work your magic on.

I hope no one takes my post to be critical of Spike's product, as their upper is of top quality and I love it!  I almost wish that I had waited a bit long so that I could have gotten one of Spike's manufactured bolt, but until I do, I will tinker with the Ciener (may he get boils on his ass) bolt until it works smoothly.

Onyx

(I will let you know by next week if I need to send it back to you badazzar15, thanks for all your help!)
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, got the stock antibounce weight in there.  I had not thought about it but if it was still bouncing that could account for the light primer hits.  hum.....

Onyx
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
FWIW, I went through all of this with my suppressed Kuehl dedicated upper on my M16 lower.  Put in the full Lakeside kit - cut a little bit off the LS recoil spring, used the mid weight trigger spring, and the lighter weight disconnecter spring.  Still was getting light primer strikes using the bulk pack high vel Rem ammo.  Finally had my gunsmith check and adjust the sear timing down to the gnat's ass, and now it runs about as well as any other dedicated 22 upper I've ever seen:  about 95%-98% using the bulk Rem  ammo, which is not as reliable as the CCI std vel.  It's less reliable FA with the Rem subsonic, but shoots it fine on semi.  If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the reduced power trigger spring in the lower.  With a 5.56 upper, mine still runs like a raped ape, even dirty and with hard primer mil spec Q3131 ammo.

In summary, if you put the Lakeside kit in and are still getting light primer strikes, check your sear timing, and perhaps use better ammo.  Hope this helps.  Griz
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top