Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 9:25:29 PM EDT
Heres My Current Setup. Ill Be Using This Setup For Testing. All Testing Will Be Done With Zero Cleaning! Testing Will Be Done With The Suppressor And With Out It. All Testing Will Be Done With Various Ammo Types "115GR., 124GR., 147GR., And 147GR. SubSonic" Hollow Points And FMJ. As Of Right Now Ive Shot 750RDS Of Rem. UMC 115GR. FMJ. All Suppressed With Zero Malfunctions. Im Going To Keep This Thread Updated W/ Pics, And Info. As Im Doing This For Timney. And For Everyone Who Asked "Will A Timney Trigger Function In My 9mm Carbine?". After All The Questions I Decided To Give It A Shot.

Im Using A Colt 9mm AR15 Registered SBR

With The Following Parts:

Factory Colt 10" SMG Barrel W/ Custom Sleve To Cover Where The FSB Use To Be "Kinda Like A Super Lo-Profile Gas Block"

Factory Colt Bolt "Not Ramped"

RRA 9mm Flat Top Upper

Daniel Defense 9.0 Lite Rail

Timney Drop-In Trigger "Timney Resized The Trigger Pin Sleves For .170 Large Pin"

Troy IND. Flip Up Sights

Trig. Reflex W/ ARMS Mount

Gemtech Trinity Suppressor

Laser Devices OP 6 Light W/ ARMS Mount And Pressure Switch

Deiter CQD VFG

LMT Sopmod Butt Stock

Slash 9mm Q Buffer

Factory Colt 1pc Mag Block I Currently Switched Back To The Orginal Colt 2pc Pin-in Mag Blocks And Matching Bolt Catch.

KNS GenII Anti Rotational Pins

KNS Front Pivot Pin

JP Enterprise AMBI Saftey

Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

Colt Charging Handle W/ PRI Big Latch

Tango Down Battle Grip

Ergo Grip Lo-Profile Rail Covers

As Promised Here Are The Photos:

750RDS Rem UMC 115GR. FMJ ALL Suppressed.

As You Can See In These Pictures Below
The 9mm Blow Back Action And The Gemtech Suppressor Are Giving This Trigger A Beating.

Thanks For Looking And Feel Free To Post Any Questions Or Comments.

I Would Also Like To Give A Special Thanks To The Great Guys Over At Timney MFG. For All The Help, And Great Customer Service.

For more related links on the New Timney trigger Click below.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=311214

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=302921

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=395866
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be watching this test as this trigger will most likely get a place in my 2nd build. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if they would like to test it to see if it worked with a ramped bolt.

I'd like to find out before I purchased one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
if someone can give me a good source to buy a quality 9mm bolt already ramped, i would be willing to test both.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking carbine. I "need" a 9mm AR in my collection. How quiet is that set up? I imagine there is still plenty of bolt/action noise.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice looking carbine. I "need" a 9mm AR in my collection. How quiet is that set up? I imagine there is still plenty of bolt/action noise.

Thanks, Honestly with subsonic ammo, All you hear is the bolt/action noise and the actual bullet hitting the target. I love this setup, Ive got 6 ar15's and this one gets shot the more than any of them combined. Ammo is cheap and avilable most anywhere. Noise and recoil is next to nothing even with out the supressor. I shoot it in my back yard on a daily basis!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I can do this. I just recieved a Timney trigger assy. today.

I'll throw it in my 9mm SBR with ramped bolt and report back. I am taking my nephew to the range Sunday and let him put some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll throw it in my 9mm SBR with ramped bolt and report back. I am taking my nephew to the range Sunday and let him put some rounds through it.

post back here and let us know how it functions. do you happen to have both bolts to compare to each other?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

post back here and let us know how it functions. do you happen to have both bolts to compare to each other?

No, I only have ramped bolts. One in the gun and one spare.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I only have ramped bolts. One in the gun and one spare.

I would really like to see a comparison bewteen the 2.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I just installed the Timney in my 9mm SBR AR for tomorrows range session. Very easy install.

I dont have a non-ramped bolt, but the guy that runs the range I am going to, might have a non-ramped bolt.

If he will let me, I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just installed the Timney in my 9mm SBR AR for tomorrows range session. Very easy install.

I dont have a non-ramped bolt, but the guy that runs the range I am going to, might have a non-ramped bolt.

If he will let me, I will give it a try.

ok cool, im also going to the range tomorrow and will report back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I ran the Timney 3lb. trigger in my suppressed 9mm SBR. I run a ramped bolt, and while I was shooting it, I never had a issues and it performed perfectly.

However, my nephew on the other hand must be a natural at bump firing, because he made it double and triple a couple of times. After it would double and triple on him, it would fail to reset the trigger. He is a very novice shooter, this is my fault, as I dont get him out to the range as much as I should and I am the only gun guy in the family. I will make up for that this summer, as his interest in firearms is good.

I think the Timney performed very well, and attribute the doubles and triples to user error. (Although error maybe the wrong term, as my nephew is in dire need of more trigger time, and work other basic fundamentals.

I also checked that the disconnect was working, by firing a round and holding the trigger to the rear and then slowly releasing it. Again, no issues at all.

I didnt get an opportunity to run it with a non-ramped bolt, as my friend that runs the range didnt have his 9mm SBR there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I Tested mine again today. Again it Ran Flawless.

I ran 200 rounds unsuppressed with REM. UMC 115GR.

I ran 400 rounds suppressed with REM. UMC 115GR.

I ran 100 rounds suppressed with REM 124GR.

And I also ran  150 rounds of course suppressed with REM 147 (subsonic)

And again results were great.

The gun ran flawless. 100% Reliable  
So far i have a total round count of 1600 rounds w/ NO cleaning and have had Zero malfunctions of any kind and let me tell you this thing is getting Dirty and it Still RUNS!

Edit: I put the factory Colt 2pc mags blocks back in the gun. Everything else stayed the same. "which really has nothing to do with the trigger group"

Here's the updated Pics:

I'm going to try to keep the Test going for 5000 rounds with Zero cleaning. I'm going to put this Timney trigger through torture.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I ran the Timney 3lb. trigger in my suppressed 9mm SBR. I run a ramped bolt, and while I was shooting it, I never had a issues and it performed perfectly.

However, my nephew on the other hand must be a natural at bump firing, because he made it double and triple a couple of times. After it would double and triple on him, it would fail to reset the trigger. He is a very novice shooter, this is my fault, as I dont get him out to the range as much as I should and I am the only gun guy in the family. I will make up for that this summer, as his interest in firearms is good.

I think the Timney performed very well, and attribute the doubles and triples to user error. (Although error maybe the wrong term, as my nephew is in dire need of more trigger time, and work other basic fundamentals.

I also checked that the disconnect was working, by firing a round and holding the trigger to the rear and then slowly releasing it. Again, no issues at all.

I didnt get an opportunity to run it with a non-ramped bolt, as my friend that runs the range didnt have his 9mm SBR there.

Lets see some pics!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Not exactly sure what you want to see, so here is a pic of my 9mm suppressed AR SBR.

Sorry, it is the only pic I have loaded up right now.

Also, I forgot mention in my range report, that my nephew and I put 500rds thru it. It had not been cleaned since the last range session, in which atleast a 1000rds went thru it, all suppressed.

It is currently torn down for cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#16]
"Timney Drop-In Trigger  "Timney Resized The Trigger Pin Sleves For .170 Large Pin""

Where did you get the trigger pin sleves opened up?  looking for one of these for my colt lowers as well.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"Timney Drop-In Trigger  "Timney Resized The Trigger Pin Sleves For .170 Large Pin""

Where did you get the trigger pin sleves opened up?  looking for one of these for my colt lowers as well.
Thanks

Call Timney direct at (866)484-6639

They should be able to take care of your needs as they did for me. Great customer service by the way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not exactly sure what you want to see, so here is a pic of my 9mm suppressed AR SBR.

www.hunt101.com/img/463843.jpg

Sorry, it is the only pic I have loaded up right now.

Also, I forgot mention in my range report, that my nephew and I put 500rds thru it. It had not been cleaned since the last range session, in which atleast a 1000rds went thru it, all suppressed.

It is currently torn down for cleaning.

How do you like that barrel length? Who makes the barrel? Im thinking about choppin mine down or buying a shorter one to get that SD look.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I use a TROS 5" 3 lug barrel and a SWR Trident 9 suppressor. The forearm is a YHM 7" carbine length.

My favorite ammo is the MAGTECH 147gr subsonic.

I am debating changing the forearm to the YHM customizable tube, as I really dont need all the extra rails.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I use a TROS 5" 3 lug barrel and a SWR Trident 9 suppressor. The forearm is a YHM 7" carbine length.

My favorite ammo is the MAGTECH 147gr subsonic.

I am debating changing the forearm to the YHM customizable tube, as I really dont need all the extra rails.

Hows the accuracy? How much do you think i would loose for the 5" of barrel i would be eliminating? Ive seen your set up but with a KAC or Daniel Defense free float rail and it looks really sweet. Do you think choppin the barrel makes it any quieter?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The theory is that the shorter barrels will keep most if, not all, 147gr 9mm ammo subsonic. The only reason I prefer the MAGTECH 147gr subsonic loading, is because it is what I tried and gave me what I was looking for: accuracy, cheap, stays subsonic, and is very quiet.

I did try other 9mm loadings, 115gr-124gr, hell I even tried some of the Fiochi 158gr. The Fiochi (sp) loading was subsonic and if you shoot bowling pin matches, it has the weight to knock the pins down better, but it is expensive.

Accuracy wise, I can hit a 10" gong at 100rds easily. But I didnt build this for distance shots, nor is it my go-to-HD-gun. It is merely a range toy and has a high cool factor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#22]
what do you think about having my barrel shortened, recrowned, and rethreaded? then using a 7.0 rail instead of a 9.0? i bet it would shave alittle weight was well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what do you think about having my barrel shortened, recrowned, and rethreaded? then using a 7.0 rail instead of a 9.0? i bet it would shave alittle weight was well.

It would be purely a personal choice on your part. But yes, it would be lighter.

Hell, you could still use the 9" forearm if you wanted too. Then you would only have a few inches of suppressor sticking out the front.

eta: Will your suppressor even fit inside the DD tube that your using now?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be purely a personal choice on your part. But yes, it would be lighter.

Hell, you could still use the 9" forearm if you wanted too. Then you would only have a few inches of suppressor sticking out the front.

eta: Will your suppressor even fit inside the DD tube that your using now?

i thought about that but my suppressor wont fit in the DD lite rail, i would need a regular DD rail or a KAC.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top