Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:03:39 PM EDT
Will a standard .223 carbine buffer work with a 9mm setup or will I have to get the 9mm buffer?  I am planning on building a 9mm carbine with a six position stock.  I want to get all of the parts ordered for it so I can be ready to build when I get my lower, but everyone seems to be out of 9mm buffers.  So would a regular buffer work with a 9mm?

Thanks,

Nic
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
it would work but the 9mm would probably work better.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
will it work.. well it will go bang *but* it will not be working correctly.

Remember the 9mm is straight blowback and relies on a certain spring tension and Bolt  + buffer weight.  Using the regular buffer effectively reduces the inerta required to open the action. This can allow the action to open prematurely. It also increases the shock load on various parts of the  gun as the bolt gets thrown reward w/ grater force.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, so I guess ill wait for the 9mm buffer.  Does anybody know someone that has them in stock?

Thanks again,

Nic
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
DEFFINATELY get the 9mm buffer.  I used the .223 for a while but the reduced weight didn't absorb the shock.  Eventually the front of my lower cracked!  Although the mag' adapter was pushing out with the tension lugs, the increased shock apparently was too much.  I got the SBR lower re-welded and swapped buffers too.  Not a problem since.  Call RRA and see if they have one, it only cost me $25.00.  Funny thing is, so did the re-weld!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to hijack here but just to ask a question of those knowing more than I...  I also recently purchase a 6pos stock and had previously purchase a Colt 9mm buffer.  I installed the stock today with the Colt buffer and the carbine spring that came with the stock.  It was pretty tight getting the spring on the buffer but it worked ok for shooting 9mm until I switched uppers to .223 and it would not chaimber a round.  The bolt would not go back far enough to strip a round out of the mag. I tried very hard to get the bolt all the way back but could not.  I switched the 9mm buffer out for the carbine buffer that came with the stock and it allows the bolt to go back far enough for the .223.  So my question is:  (A) Has anyone elese run into this problem (B) what did you do to fix it and finally (C) is the a larger inside diameter buffer spring that will work with this buffer so I don't have to switch between the two?  Thanks, Wj
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top