Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 9:16:22 PM EDT
A buddy of mine recently picked up a RRA 9mm AR and is getting his tax stamp to have it cut down to 10".

Has anyone had any reliability issues with their RRA 9mm..??

He's using the modified Uzi mags and the Bushmaster 30 round polymer mags. Are they both reliable..?? Any issues with either..??

What can I expect out of the gun for accuracy..??

I'd consider going with the tax stamped shorter barrel. Any experience with this in an AR 9mm configuration..??

I know you may be thinking why not ask the guy I know that ownes one but frankly he is a mall ninja to the extreme and I prefer to do additional research prior to forking out the cash. He's a good guy but, I want to cover the bases so thanks for any input on this weapon system.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the Colt mags, and try some different loads, some like the 115gr, others the 147gr!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
As for the Shillen barrel, do you think it would be a better option than having my factory barrel cut down..?

The only reason I would even consider the cut down was cost but I bet a new barrel would be fairly affordable.

Is RRA altering the UZI mags to lock the bolt open or are they using Colt mags..?

I'm thinking on adding a supressor to the short barrel. Any experience with that..??
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As for the Shillen barrel, do you think it would be a better option than having my factory barrel cut down..?
The barrel would be made from a piece of blank... gonna cost more, but you have the option of what contour you desire.  

A 28" blank from Montana Rifleman will run you $160, Douglas "BASIC" be $150 short, $158 medium, and $170 long.... then you need a lathe to cut it, and a reamer to chamber...  WA Tom will do 8" for $125, add $15?? per inch over that, I do not have his adress to verify.  ADD for stainless.

The only reason I would even consider the cut down was cost but I bet a new barrel would be fairly affordable.

Is RRA altering the UZI mags to lock the bolt open or are they using Colt mags..?
Colt mags and correct block/mag catch paired up to hold bolt open.

I'm thinking on adding a suppressor to the short barrel. Any experience with that..??
Not a problem, just another tax stamp.... use ammo loaded to no more than 1025fps in your barrel, and you'll have quiet bullet flight.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for input.... Does anyone have experience with the RRA 9mm's..??? How bout' some pics of how you set yours up..!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had nothing but reliability problems with my RRA factory built 9mm. Will not function with UZI or Colt magazines has worked with Pro mag but currently will not feed reliably with any magazine. It is back at Rock River for the second time because of failures to feed and because the mag block shoots lose every 200-300 rounds. On the accuracy side it is excellent I scoped this gun and did shoot some sub 1" 100 yard groups with JHP when I could get it to run. 50 yard 10 shot groups 1-1.5" no problem with 115JHP again when it would work.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, that doesn't sound good..... How is RRA on service..? Is the reliability ammo specific..? heavy or light, FMJ or Hollowpoints..? It obviously shouldn't matter what you shoot as long as its factory ammo but I was curious..?

Please post back when you get it to see if they fixed the problem.

I can't fault a company for making a lemon every once in a while as long as they fix or replace it... My first Glock 36 (when they were first released) had an issue and they bent over backwards to make me happy... Swapped out a part and now it feeds anything 100%.. Hell I bet it would eat .45 caliber rocks if I could get them in the mag...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#8]
This gun will run with Pro Mags and FMJ ammo at nearly 100%. Will also work about 95% with Uzi magazines and FMJ. The problem I have found with FMJ is accuracy 5-6 inch 50 yard groups. I have used factory Winchester, Remington and Sellor and Bellot factory ammo for testing in FMJ and JHP. As this is the second trip to R/R I am a little disappointed in their service at this time. I do not even think they really read my first letter as several issues I had were not addressed. Will see how this trip goes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Great information.... Please keep us posted on it. I always liked the Colt SMG as an alternative to the overpriced H&K and couldn't understand why there were soooo many AR companies and nobody made a quality 9mm. When I heard RRA (who has a good reputation with .223) was making one I thought it was the answer. I hope that yours was just a fuke... STILL sucks for you but, hopefully they'll do the right thing... Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Received my Rock River 9MM back from the factory with a turn time of 15 days. I think that is great service. Multiple parts have been replaced. Bottom line shot 750 rounds this weekend mostly JHP with one malfunction. The one malfunction was not the gun but clearly a bad WW JHP. Put on a 12X scope to test accuracy. Shot 1/2 to 3/4” 50 yard groups with good 115 grain JHP. 100 yard groups run right at 2”, 150 yard 4” and 200 yard 5-6”. Yes I know this isn’t a 200 yard gun just wanted to see with the 12X scope what it would do. Put back my Eotech and the fun began.  So far the magazine block has remained in place. The only minor difficulty is that the clip that retains the dust cover rod is not on the gun. Don’t know if it shipped that way or came off during shooting. Thank You Rock River and Steve for the great work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear....
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm also in the market for a SBR 9mm and have looked at a ton of different options.  If you have your heart set on a RRA, then why not purchase the LAR 15 Pistol (A4 9mm quad lwt ff is $1080 sticker or $930 at Kneseks) and put the $75 buttstock on it.  With the tax stamp you are at $1200.  

The RRA CAR 9 is roughly the same price for the gun w/ stamp ($1230), but you'd have to pay someone to cut the barrel.  Plus, you can build the pistol into a rifle without the tax stamp and then go back to the pistol if you didn't want to SBR.  It's a little bit more flexibility for a cheaper price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
To tell the truth I hadn't thought of that... Will the LAR take a standard tube ie: Vltor tube and stock..?

What have you settled on for your 9mm SBR..?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top