Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:41:31 AM EDT
Just curious what the effective range on a 9mm AR is in terms of stopping power.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have killed medium sized wild hogs out to 60 yards out of a 9mm rifle using 147gr hollow points. It did a fine job with lung shots stopping most in 30 yards or so. Shot placement and good bullet design is the key. I have also killed a few hogs with 223 and 55gr Trophy bonded bear claws and results have been about the same as far as stopping distance , The 223 is more powerful and will have greater range no doubt about that. I feel pretty good out to 100yards maybe even alittle more. Looking at the Ranger SXt 147gr load it is 4.5 inchs low at 100 yards with a 25 yard zero and FPS only drops from 990fps at the muzzle to 954fps at 100 yards. The bullet is basicly going to performace very close from 25 to 100 yards thats only a drop of around 40 FPS. Subsonic rds loose speed at a lower rate than a supersonic rd does its kind of supriseing when you look at just how little the 9mm147gr round loses in 100 yards. You would think there would be alot more loss in performace in that distanse than there really is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top