Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 5:47:29 AM EDT
I need to make a decission quickly so.,,
Which is better or pros & cons of using either the Hy-Tech block or the Colt kind as sold by RRA.
Help.!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I need to make a decission quickly so.,,
Which is better or pros & cons of using either the Hy-Tech block or the Colt kind as sold by RRA.
Help.!

Hy-Tech :  

--Plug & play with plain old Uzi mags (those with folded seam at rear)
--No hold open
--Block held via  AR mag catch,mag held by simulated Uzi catch
--IMI comercial mags will require file work to inside of block, John did not do CNC to cut opening to std Uzi specs.

Colt and clones :

-- block needs to set to correct height to get feed ramp/ejector placed at correct height
-- most offer last round hold open, but must use COLT mags for this feature to work $$$
-- Can use Uzi mags, but the Uzi mag will ned a cut made to duplicate the catch as found on COLT mags, add $10-15 to cost of Uzi mags, then need to hope the height is correct.  Cut 10 mags and you could have bought the Hy-Tech with that money.
-- Uzi mag is not equipped for bolt hold operation
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the bolt hold open on last round feature if possible.
Is it really hard each time to get the Colt style block to the proper height for the thing to work?
I have also read there is an issue with the Colt block falling out at times.
Is it a real problem?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like the bolt hold open on last round feature if possible.
Is it really hard each time to get the Colt style block to the proper height for the thing to work?
I cannot answer 100%,  but the top load block will not fall out.  The bottom load needs to adjusted to correct height, then secured into place, most have some sort of tensioning device ot hold block in place, some people have went ahead and physically secured the block with a screw through the lower and into the block...

I have also read there is an issue with the Colt block falling out at times.  
Yes, at times... refer to comment above

Is it a real problem?
Refer to replies above

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the HY-TECH not a single failure after 2500 out of my home built RRA uppered 9mm. I could care less about bolt hold open this is a fun gun for me not my SHTF one.   If I were to go with a colt clone the Hann block would be the way i'd go.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top