Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:02:11 PM EDT
I took my DPMS upper out today and ran it on my 6520 lower.  It ran pretty well overall, but with your standard cheap brick type ammo (not sure of brand, I have a bucket that's a mix of stuff) it wasn't cycling the bolt enough to reset the trigger.   It would chamber the next round but not cock the hammer.

I changed over to the Yellow Jacket and it seemed to run pretty well.

Anyone running one of these suppressed?  What subsonic do you use?  What did you have to do to the upper to get it to run?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
While it was clean, it worked well with the cheapest CCI I could buy (can't remember the "model"). After a few hundred rounds it would start choking on it, but switching to CCI Mini Mags would make it run fine again. After I was done with the last brick of cheap CCI ammo  I started using MiniMags exclusively.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't really had any problems with mine whatsoever.  I broke it in with a relatively cheap box of 500 Winchester Dynapoints and I think I had one FTF out of the bunch which fired when I put through a second time.  I have also had similar luck with the even cheaper boxes of 550 Federal .22 from Walmart.  I haven't wasted any money trying the way more expensive CCI stuff and hope I never have to.

I have the cheap (notice a trend yet?) bull barrel model with the free float tube and lopro upper.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has functioned on everything I've put through it. When I'm shooting it I mainly use Dynapoints, and when my kid shoots it, mainly the cheap Walmart Federal Bulks. It will eat hundreds and hundreds of either before cleaning is needed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While it was clean, it worked well with the cheapest CCI I could buy (can't remember the "model"). After a few hundred rounds it would start choking on it, but switching to CCI Mini Mags would make it run fine again. After I was done with the last brick of cheap CCI ammo  I started using MiniMags exclusively.

blazers?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

blazers?

Probably.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont have a AR .22 but i do have a walther P22 thats very picky on ammo, most of the stuff would short cycle and cause failures. the cheap stuff that seems to have enough power to cycle the action is the wal-mart Remington .22 golden bullet bonus pack 550rd. federal stuff would have failures 85% of the time but this stuff is pretty good.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used Remington Thunderbolts (Christmas gift that I wanted to use up), Federal Champion and Winchester Wildcats in mine.  No problems with any kind.  I do clean the rifle after every trip to the range though.  I'll usually shoot about 150 rounds per trip.

I have a DCM 20" A2 upper on a DPMS lower.

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Dynapoints and Stingers.

I blew a mag up using some Stingers though
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Yellow Jackets, Dyna Points and Eley Target Rifle all shoot well out of my DPMS AP4 upper.  The Eley gives the best groups.  I really like Stingers but they're a bit pricey and not that terribly accurate.

I was getting a lot of FTF with the Yellow Jackets but that was solved by a good cleaning of the firing pin.  It doesn't take much powder residue to clog up the firing pin and slow its movement down to the point where there's not enough energy left to cause a proper strike on the rim. Hence FTF.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top