Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:44:34 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a dealer who sells "factory" SBR registered lowers in 9mm?  I am trying to avoid the "Engraving" route.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
but you will add the longer transfer with that route if im not mistaken

think s.a.w. and might have been legal transfers
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Tom Sawyer Mfg.  is a type7/SOT  IIRC that makes his own lowers custom engraved.  i would give him a call and see if he can do it.   he is "likemopar" on the boards here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Tom Saywer is making me a registered Custom SBR Lower ... so I don't have to put my name and address on it ..  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys, I am familiar with Sawyer, and may go that route, I was really hoping for "all Colt" though.  I know Pete at legal transfers offered a complete registered .223 lower, I don't remember seeing him offer a 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy christ, man!!  Afraid of getting some engraving done?  Turn in your man card now.  

A quick search turned up at least one laser engraver in your state

Light Speed Laser Engraving
6802 Industrial Dr
Beltsville, MD  20705
301-937-7377

Call them up and ask what it costs to engrave over some hard anodized aluminum.  Tell them the specs of how many charcters, height, and depth.  

Oh, and don't mention it's a gun.  Just take the lower there, tell them it's a prototype part or something, stay there while they do it, hand the man cash, and go home.

Do a little more searching and you'll probably find many more engravers and the like in your immediate area.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not a matter of "fear of engraving" ....  personally I would rather have a factory registered SBR without my name engraved on it ...  99.9% of SBR's more than likely have somebodies name or corporation engraved on them ... I want mine to be "different" ....  

If one of the big name AR manufacturers would offer this service to civilians I'm sure ton's of folks would take them up on it ...  wouldn't it be cool legally own a Colt 6933 with the factory 11.5 " upper and the only thing engraved on it were the factory markings?  Of course ... Colt would never offer this service to us civvy's ...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's not a matter of "fear of engraving" ....  personally I would rather have a factory registered SBR without my name engraved on it ...  99.9% of SBR's more than likely have somebodies name or corporation engraved on them ... I want mine to be "different" ....  

If one of the big name AR manufacturers would offer this service to civilians I'm sure ton's of folks would take them up on it ...  wouldn't it be cool legally own a Colt 6933 with the factory 11.5 " upper and the only thing engraved on it were the factory markings?  Of course ... Colt would never offer this service to us civvy's ...

Specialized Armament Warehouse sells factory Colt SBRs to citizens. No non-Colt markings.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Specialized Armament Warehouse sells factory Colt SBRs to citizens. No non-Colt markings.....

Cool ... wonder if  they do this for a small paperwork fee or sell it at a premium ...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
My man card is intact....I SHOOT my Colts, they are not safe queens.  That being said, I don't want my name on them, just COLT's name!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
BTW I own a 6933 and a 6921 (both are paid for, just waiting for the paperwork).  That is what is tweaking me, I can buy a factory SBR .223 from Colt, but not a 9mm.  The only 9mm SBR that they make is select fire, which none of us can buy new!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
try DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does anyone know of a dealer who sells "factory" SBR registered lowers in 9mm?  I am trying to avoid the "Engraving" route.  Thanks

Use your own lower, then you have full control of the firearm up to the day the paperwork come back...  buying a SBR elsewhwere will leave you with out a firearm for up to 6 month, all over $30 worth of engraving you can have done before you papers come back ?  

So you going to plunk down SBR money out of state, SOT to SOT,  then when you hit your local LE for a signature, and he wont sign, now what you going to do.   Better off to keep it to a lower you already own, if he don't sign, you are out nothing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I got to admit, I am getting more opinions than I expected.  All are appreciated, though.  I won't have a problem with the CLEO sign off.

The point is... no one buys a new car, and then has to engrave it, to modify it the way they want.  Do you put down top dollar for anything, and from the start "change it" in a way that is silly, if you colud just buy it that way.

Both of the .223 ARs that I have coming could have been built off of a 6721 that I already had.  I could have engraved it.  To me though, I like having thing the way they were meant to be.  A SBR, in my opinion should come from the factory as an SBR. That said, I want one bad.  If I can't find one I'll go the engraving route.

Another example, I am lucky enough to have a factory government 1911A1 .45 Colt marked "Property of the U.S. Army", I could engrave that on any 1911........right?.....but it wouldn't be the same.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 6933 myself, and a factory 9mm SBR would be cool. (I have a "normal" one I was thinking of cutting.)

That said, they only run them on occasion when an agency requests them, from what I gather. Perhaps SAW could get some made, since they seem to have a good line with Colt.

It'd be nice if Colt made a DOE style SBR 9mm.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top