Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:45:05 PM EDT
I am building a 9mm pistol and purchased a  Model 1 Sales buffer assembly kit which is designed for the .223 caliber i assume. It has the 1911 looking spring, about a 4" buffer tube with a screw off cap on one end, what i call a spike which is the spring guide, and an adapter which looks like a sleeve which goes in the bolt assembly. From what i've gathered the spring, spike, and adapter will not be able to be used, but is there ANY way i can still use the buffer tube for the 9mm pistol build. I'm thinking my main problem is the fact that a .223 bolt is hollow on the end and a 9mm bolt is solid, or do they make another type of 9mm bolt that is open like a .233...I know i can use a longer CAR type tube but i'd to make the 4" tube work if possible. I appreciate everyones patience with my questions and everyones help.

David

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The reason 9mm bolts are solid is to add weight.  I don't think you will find a 9mm bolt that is open at the rear for this reason.  9mm works on recoil instead of gas impengement like the 223.  Also most of the time it is necessary to run the heavier 9mm buffer in carbine length tubes for reliability to slow down the action.  If you drill the rear of a 9mm bolt (for the "spike") and use a HEAVY .45 LONG SLIDE spring cut to proper length you might get away with it but I don't know.  You could just be ruining a 9mm bolt.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top