Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 5:38:38 PM EDT
Yep, just about ready to ditch the SOB at this point.

I originally had a SOCOM Style Sten block for this upper, and only the Dalphon-Modified mag that came with it and 2? other magazines I have worked for it. This was due to the fact that the SOCOM block didn't push the magazines up high enough for the bolt to strip off a round.

Now, I've got a KKF block, $70 later, and it does the SAME THING, with only those SAME TWO magazines working properly. Not only that, it won't fit in my PWA lower!

I've sent an email to Kurt about it to see what he can do. Outside this, can anyone reccomend a fix to this problem? This has been one -long- headache.

The SOCOM block will be used in an experiment in the coming days. I'm going to flip the action bar upside down and grind a little bit down at a time till I've got them sitting properly, if a little high at best. POS $30 block will be good for something in the end!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry to hear about your headache

my colt 6450 has been a bundle of joy since the day i got it
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
^ Not helpful.

Lighter side, I've got ~80% of the mags working after doing said modification to the locking bar on the SOCOM block. I'm going to pick up more square stock and take a few more whacks at it as far as making a proper one goes. The release is a little short, but it works well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Hahn Precision

Check out the adapter and the library section for some technical information.  Magazine position is important and an adapter that locates of an unimportant sheet metal feature is asking for problems.  SOCOM blocks don't hit the receiver....why?.....because they sit lower.....you be the judge if this is a "feature" or not.  

Also check to see if your magwell is close to MIL SPEC......there is a drawing of that in library section.  You would be suprised at how many manufacturers don't know how to read a print.

Hope this has been of some help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How many mags do you have?  On the 2 that work, do they look like they are both manufactured the same?

It might be worth a shot to try this:  On one of the Sten mags that doesn't work, put it in a vise to squeeze in the 'ears' on the side of mags.  Do it slowy, squeezing the ears a little and then trying it out in the rifle until it fits high enough.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
^ Not helpful.

Lighter side, I've got ~80% of the mags working after doing said modification to the locking bar on the SOCOM block. I'm going to pick up more square stock and take a few more whacks at it as far as making a proper one goes. The release is a little short, but it works well.

sorry
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Update 2:

Got my reply from KKF. Was basically told my lowers are junk (yet work just fine with a .223 Upper!) and that work needed to be done on the magblock. Yay for standing by your product. Looks like I'm paying more money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I went this way with no problems.
Don't give up there a blast to shoot once working right

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Update 3:

Once I asked on price of what'd cost to have the situation rectified on my magblock from Kurt, I was quoted...

S&H!

Once again, I slap myself for doubting the great Kurt. Once I get a cost, off it'll go for fixin'.

In the meantime, the SOCOM block is working enough to make it a range toy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Update 2:

Got my reply from KKF. Was basically told my lowers are junk (yet work just fine with a .223 Upper!) and that work needed to be done on the magblock. Yay for standing by your product. Looks like I'm paying more money.

What brand lowers are you using ???
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Oly (PCR) and PWA.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one of JCweaponry's sten mag blocks off the EE board here. I have not had a problem yet w/ my OLY upper. Some of the Sten mags are tight but will seat with a slap to the bottom of the mag.

Specs;
Stag lower
DPMS LPK
RRA M4 stock w. a H buffer
OLY A3 upper
JCweaponry mag block w/ a bunch of mags
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Dump the blocks and send the mags to Olympic Arms for modification.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#15]
      First thing i would do,borrow another lower or two from a friend to try.This will help discern if your lowers have the mag catch located too low from spec.
      Second,replace your mag catch.Cheap and easy to replace.If yours are worn down they will locate the Socom block lower in the magwell.  
      Third and this will require some welding.Take one of your old mag catches out and run a bead across the top.File the bead down to about .025 high,and then file about .025 from the bottom in order for the catch to fit into the receiver hole.With some smithing this should work.This will raise the Socom block higher in the magwell so a little may be have to taken from it's top also.    
     As Tweak suggested,measure your lowers with a dial caliper and we can compare measurements.  
Don't give up yet.You can fix this!
     FWIW, i built a dedicated 9mm using a new PWA lower,RRA lower parts kit,RRA standard A2 stock,RRA two stage trigger,Socom block with sten mags and a OLY 16 SS upper in 2002.Maybe i got lucky but it runs flawless.      
     Oh and another thing.  
                               Happy New Year !!!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Replaced catches with RRA stock. No changes.

Checked fit/function in a friend's RRA lower. No change.

Started noticing a trend, as I've not fired this upper yet :(

In test cycling, the problem is that the rounds aren't coming up horizontal, sometimes the rounds will cock at an angle and even with the block up all the way the round would NEVER be able to feed properly. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just being paranoid and need to actually FIRE the damned thing before screwing with it further, as it could be the mags at fault.. The KKF block is staying till I get some range time, and the modified SOCOM-Style Block is obviously as good as I'm going to get at the moment. I guess I'll have to see how things work out.

I don't own a set of dial calipers, sadly. :/
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#17]
i had a similar probem with my oly system. i tried 3 different mag blocks and countless hours of trouble shooting. i ended up selling the oly system and buying a colt system. now the colt system i have works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess I got real lucky with my Oly set up.  I bought the upper with a 11" barrel and a silver soldered 5" flash hider, bolt and carrier, 2 mags and a block of unknown origin all for $450.00 last November.  The block has no markings at all.

My gunsmith cut the barrel to 10.5" and added an A2 flash hider for $60.  Turns out the carrier was semi, but it functioned well in semi on my Group Industries reg'd lower.  I took a BM full-auto carrier and went to work with my trusty Dremel tool and before the night was over, had a functioning FA gun.

Have since ordered another 2 dozen Sten mags and all function perfectly except for 4 of them which are dented.

The only thing I can say is that you need to keep trying.  It might take a lot of tweeking to get it to run, but once it does, your 5.56 upper will be kept in the safe a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about your problems and hope you get them figured out soon.  I purchased a 9mm Oly upper off the EE a few months ago because(from what I read) they were easier to convert back and forth and ran with fewer problems than the Colt/RRA setup.  Don't get me wrong, I love Colt and this Oly upper is mounted on a Colt lower but it just seems to have more advantages to go with an Oly upper.  Anyway, mine came with a Socom block and three sten mags.  I have not had a single hiccup with this setup using Win WB bulk ammo.  So, please keep that in mind when thinking about trashing your Oly and getting a RRA.  Also, think about the chance of the RRA setup having the same problems as it may just be a problem with your lower rec.  Cheers, Wj
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top