Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 6:17:30 PM EDT
(please read in an outraged tone) For the love of God, can someone please tell me why no one makes a dedicated .45 lower that takes grease gun mags?

Note:  it seems the schedule for weekly rotation of this post has been lost.  Also lost, the response that four companies are currently working on it... blah, blah, blah!

Seriously, there is a company that makes grease gun mag lowers for H&K USCs (pretty cool too) and another company that makes .45 conversions for FALs that use grease gun or thompson mags.  There's demand for these, but not for the AR in .45???

Scot
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I gave up on the whole dedicated lower about a year ago.  I don't think anybody will get serious till there is no other choice.  If the aw-ban sunsets then new lower friendly mags can be made without tooling up to make the lower.
The only attempt right now is sorta a half hearted effort at a reliable design. "A third party will make the block, good luck getting it to work." The new FAL Thompson does look promising though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Cav Arms second generation lowers are molded specifically to accept wider GG mags. They do not include adapter blocks so those would have to be crafted.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#3]
FAL that feeds tommy mags?  Wow, anyone got a link for that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
[size=5]I've been asking the same damn thing for as long as I've been a member of ARFcom!![/size=5]

....but, I think the ban has something to do with it.  Hopefully in a year Uzi .45 mags and other proprietary full-cap mags will return.  That of course would spell financial disaster for any one who spent the time and effort for R&D and materials, because after the ban sunsets we .45 enthusiasts will divert our attention and money to the new toys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The link for the .45 (and 9mm) FAL website is rhineland1.com.  The .45 FAL is a DIY project involving modifying your bolt/carrier and using their barrel and block to convert to a blowback system.  Seems cool but I wouldn't trust one if my life was on the line.

Back on topic, re: dedicated .45 AR lowers.  I came to the same conclusion, companies are waiting for the ban to expire (or whatever happens).  I was just being a smartass with my original post!  

Scot
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
For awhile, I was following Kurt's potential project to make lowers with wider magazine wells to accept grease gun or Thompson mags, but after a year or so, I gave up on waiting and just sprung for some used Dalphon mags.  It may be cheaper later on when somebody comes up with an mag-block, but you can't really put a price on enjoying my PCR-45 right now.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I would buy one.  I guess I will try my oly upper with the cav arms lower but I think I will have some problems with the magazine position.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The only reason I don't like the Cav lowers is their lack of modularity (I think I just made that word up.).  The beauty of an AR lower is the various pistol grips and buttstocks that can be used.  

The solution I'm attempting for my 10mm Oly is to de-rib sten mags and build my own mag block (or buy a Kurt's block).  So far, the only real problem I can forsee with removing the back rib is the possibility of the mag block catch sticking too far into the sten mag body and having the rims of the shell casings catching on it.  I plan to make the first one in the Oly style, with a block welded on to see how that functions before investing in a seperate block.

Here are a couple of observations thus far if anyone is trying this same thing... you do not need to remove the entire rib, I left about an inch and a half of the very bottom of the rib on to keep the mag's shape (basically, the length of the follower).  This should make welding a back plate on much easier.  To make the cut-out in the welded on block for the mag catch, I first thought to simply measure the Oly mag and copy that... better idea, weld the Oly style block on first to the mag, then remove your lower's mag catch, insert into lower and mark through the mag catch hole... perfect, and simple!

Scot

(edited for clarity of instruction)
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I've suggested it to Kurt, de-ribbing a Sten.  I saw a pic of a "de-ribbed" Sten mag.  That is where I got the idea.  I never followed through with the de-ribbing idea.  The de-ribbed Sten mags were used in conjunction w/ a 7.62x25 barrel in the Stens.  To make a 7.62x25 Sten.  I've attempted to track some of the modified mags down, but have had no luck.

JIMBEAN,

Someone did take a Oly 10mm upper and made a colt type block for it.  I forgot who, but it worked.  They took a single peice Colt style block, removed the ejector, and modified the "ramp" so that the bolt would clear.  I forgot who it was.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Someone did take a Oly 10mm upper and made a colt type block for it.  I forgot who, but it worked.  They took a single peice Colt style block, removed the ejector, and modified the "ramp" so that the bolt would clear.  I forgot who it was.
View Quote

[url=http://www.bren-ten.com/main-site/id17.html]10mm Oly with Colt block[/url]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The guy that used a Colt type block in his 10mm Oly used Uzi .41 AE mags.... which are now completely impossible to find.  Sten mags are about 3/16" wider (front to back), and I would guess there would be major work needed to make a Colt block work with them.

Scot
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The guy that used a Colt type block in his 10mm Oly used Uzi .41 AE mags.... which are now completely impossible to find.  Sten mags are about 3/16" wider (front to back), and I would guess there would be major work needed to make a Colt block work with them.

Scot
View Quote

To work w/ 10mm, yes, major work..mainly to the mag.  To a block, not really.  Done it (w/ a 2 peice block).  Single peice you can't since "too wide".  There are a few of us (4 or 5 that I know of) that have made a 2 peice Colt style block work w/ Sten mags in the Colt style 9mm system.  Works great.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top