Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2003 12:12:01 PM EDT
I am currently looking into purchasing a complete 9mm upper receiver for one of my M4, intended to use as a practice unit for indoor range (indoor range here only permits pistol caliber carbines).  I am looking at the following combo, and need advices:

Complete Colt AR-6450 conversion kit with bolt $700, plus ASA mag block approx. $150
ASA complete conversion kit with mag block for $750.
RRA complete upper for $450 plus ASA mag block for $150

I understand that I need ot have the bolt shaved, so I can use my standard AR hammer.

I would like some recommendations, and suggestions on other work that needed to be done?  Although this is only a practice only conversion, I do like to have a combo that is free from functional problems, and field accuracy (2 to 3 MOA).

Thanks in advance

Leungken
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 I am looking at the following combo, and need advices:

Complete Colt AR-6450 conversion kit with bolt $700, plus ASA mag block approx. $150
ASA complete conversion kit with mag block for $750.
ASA complete upper for $450 plus ASA mag block for $150
View Quote
[blue]
Unless you are really worried about the "dancing horsey", save your money and buy an ASA or RRA. As a minimum, you will need a 9mm upper assembly, and a mag adapter of some sorts.... If you really want to go cheap, buy a barrel blank, machine the chamber end to fit the upper, chamber it, and shoot it using a scope or dot. Front dimensions are optional>> no gas system to worry about... My SBR 9mm barrel from blank.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid58/p726e8449982866f7c043f7d68ede5a26/fc681fb5.jpg[/img]

What is the difference in your "conversion kit" for $750, and the complete upper for $450, add $150 for the block?? Does the upper come with a bolt? That is the only reason I see it being cheaper.. You will nedd some kind of upper, and a way to hold your mags.[/blue]

I understand that I need ot have the bolt shaved, so I can use my standard AR hammer.
View Quote
[blue]
Read page 1, lots of info, and good pics:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=108261[/url][/blue]

I would like some recommendations, and suggestions on other work that needed to be done?  Although this is only a practice only conversion, I do like to have a combo that is free from functional problems, and field accuracy (2 to 3 MOA).
View Quote
[blue]
Read the 9mm threads here and in the "AR General" forum.  Advise you remove the extractor from the bolt, and use a sized case, or a loaded round to visual the headspace, as the extraction-ectractor grab are dependant on correct dimension. This thread is made to sound a lot worse-harder than the problem is to repair, I simply had my barrel "faced", and set back to repair my problem, joe is working the right idea, but from the wrong end I feel, but it HAS worked for him.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=168500[/url][/blue]

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I already have a 9mm upper setup but am trying to help a friend get one.
I noticed that [url]http://www.m-aparts.com[/url] has complete 9mm uppers w/ bolt and charging handle for $450.
Sounds like a real good price.  They say the barrels are by Wilson.
Anyone know if these are any good?
I never bought anything from them.
thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Correction, RRA's upper conversion kit is $450, with no mag block.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top