Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 9:28:25 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a 9mm upper for my Bushmaster (post-ban) lower and from what I'm reading it looks like the Oly upper with Sten mags is the easiest, most reliable method? Is this accurate? Also, I read here somewhere that if I attach a mag block to the rifle I can use unmodified Sten mags, but I can't find anything on Olympic Arms website about mag blocks. Is this something someone actually offers or something I'd have to create myself? And what would I attach it to, the upper or the lower?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Also, I read here somewhere that if I attach a mag block to the rifle I can use unmodified Sten mags, but I can't find anything on Olympic Arms website about mag blocks. Is this something someone actually offers or something I'd have to create myself? And what would I attach it to, the upper or the lower?
View Quote

Follow the link to the answers----
[url]http://www.socommfg.com/9adapt.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks like what I want. So for the people who have bought Oly Arms uppers and used this mag block adapter - how reliable has it been? Have you had to make any modifications?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quiter - I went with the OlyArms Socom block on my rifle for the several reasons:

The price of STEN mags vs. Colt is much cheaper. After many weeks of reviewing 'reliablity' questions of the Olympic 9mm uppers, there seemed to be no complaints. I also didnt have to swap out/modify any parts in the standard .223 lower in order to use the Oly upper.

The Socom block as SBR directed you to serves the purpose of not having to purchase modified STEN magazines at about $65 a pop as well.

Unfortunately, I havent had a chance to take her out for a spin yet, but I'm sure that it'll be fine. Hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'll give her some rangetime and report back.

Heres a pic of my newly finished Oly/PWA rifle, with the SOCOM block/unmodified STEN mag in use.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12007[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#4]
HKgnnr,
  Did the upper come from the factory like that, I mean the suppressor look?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually WaMag, the 'fake can' is a new addition - heres the review link I recently posted:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=160048[/url]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty cool.  The camo usually isn't my thing but that looks nice!

Is the forward assist functional?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]
J_E_D - Yes, the forward assist could actually work, as the bolt has the cuts.

The camo job was done with Brownells AlumaHyde II. First I finished the whole stockset in Parkerizing Grey, then after that had fully cured, taped off areas using electrical tape. Didnt want it too busy, just enough to give it somesort of 'static' pattern to break up the outline. Then repainted using Matte Black. Removed the tape a few hours later - couldnt have been easier.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
J_E_D - Yes, the forward assist could actually work, as the bolt has the cuts.

The camo job was done with Brownells AlumaHyde II. First I finished the whole stockset in Parkerizing Grey, then after that had fully cured, taped off areas using electrical tape. Didnt want it too busy, just enough to give it somesort of 'static' pattern to break up the outline. Then repainted using Matte Black. Removed the tape a few hours later - couldnt have been easier.
View Quote

Sounds cool.  I'm getting bad ideas now.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my Oly 9mm.  It is accurate, soft shooting (the G/F loves it) and completely reliable.  I've had the conversion on several lowers including Colt, CavArms and, my latest, Bushmaster.  All worked flawlessly with stock trigger parts.

The SOCOM magblock works very well, though it does stick out the bottom of the magwell more than I'd like.  There are some guys out there working on a system that will block the stens so that the stock mag release will work.  I'll buy it if someone produces it.  

I'm putting a foward hand grip on mine now, and if/when the AWB goes away I'm getting the barrel turned down to a lighter profile and then threaded for a can.  Collapsible stock is a must.  If I can ever afford to buy a registered reciever this is what it'll go on.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1537[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Just ordered one of those fake looking cans for an Oly 9mm.  After waiting for the converted sten system, I am now thinking one in the hand... So off I go to get an Oly upper.  HKgnnr, that is a sweet looking rifle, and Gunbert, I also wish for a AWB sunset ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on the selection WaMag - I'm sure you'll be pleased. Have to say, the look of the fake 'can' on this rifle hits the mark.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12316[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
HKgnnr,

WTF is a fake can? [ROFL].  I'll post a pick of my shitty setup tonight, if I have time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Fake can = fake suppressor
It makes the barrel look shorter because the fake can is 4" covering the barrel.  Kinda looks like you have an 11.5" barrel with a suppressor, but instead you have a 16" barrel with a fake suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Just being a smartass.  Here's a pic of my M16/9mm setup.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12616[/img]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Just recieved my fake can and it looks great. HKgnnr, you're right Chris did an excellent job and the turn around was like 3 days.  Also just recieved a quote on a Oly 9mm from Stokes for 495 shipped.  Now the hard part need funds...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice rig qd4 - Yes, was gonna post a pic of J-Lo's ass and say "NOT A FAKE CAN" [;)]

Don't worry WaMag - always seems like it takes forever to get everything set up due to lack of funds. My lower was sitting in the safe unused for nearly a year, then the upper came - that took another nine months to buy and complete.

Finally, range day is 'today' - Going to swing by Walmart in the AM and pick up about 200 rounds of the Winchester white box 115grs - load a few mags and give her a little taste. I'll be sure to post back with the results.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top