BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2021 11:56:43 AM EDT
What is the cheapest handguard you would actually pay money for and use?  My 9mm is a carbine and I have been moving around handguards since I got a new gun. I robbed the midwest rail I had for my 14.5 BCM build. I had a big cheese grater DD rail on it so that went on the 9mm. I'm going to be using that rail on a different so I'll need a replacement for the 9mm. I run nothing on the handguard so I'm looking to save a little dough for this. Hit me with your suggestions on what isn't shit but isn't $200+ either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I came in to say MI.

Aren't the new Larue rails in the same price range?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
LaRue Tactical Lok Picatinny (LAT) Handguards or LaRue Tactical Slick Picatinny (SAT) Handguards  $10/inch are a good deal.
https://www.larue.com/category/parts-accessories/handguards/handguards-ar15/
ETA: Price increased to about $12+/inch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my ARs has a 2-piece triangular handguard. It’s older than me though. Everything else is Daniel Defense...
DDM4
MFR
MFR-XL

DD is the way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
These are the cheapest I have ever used, and they are surprisingly good:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976734449.html

zzzzzip.  Flame suit donned.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
On a 9mm upper - $5.99 plus shipping:

On a .45 ACP upper - $5.99 plus shipping:

And on the .45 ACP upper, the forward assist hole fill plug was $0.85:

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used el cheapo mlok freefloat tubes from ebay and wish.com.   No regrets.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
https://ar15discounts.com/products/presma-tubular-handguard/
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Guntec on one of mine.  Never given me a problem.

Guntec handguards: https://guntecusa.com/product-category/ar-15/ar-15-m-lok-handguards/

From my site: Blowback9.com
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t buy cheap shit so……

MI
LaRue
DD
Knights
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Aim Sports handguards exclusively.  I see no reason to spend more.  They are solid, maybe a tad heavier than some gucci options but not enough to bother.  I would rather spend my money on stuff that matters, like the BARREL
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Magpul
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Cheapest? Larue LAT. Almost as cheap? Midwest Industries and Bravo Company Manufacturing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Y'all say MI but I recently bought one of lightweight handguard and it was like $280.

So cheap? No.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y'all say MI but I recently bought one of lightweight handguard and it was like $280.

So cheap? No.
View Quote

$179.95, yes it's still cheap

People also mentioned Larue and some of his also go for $399 because of the receiver it attaches to. Context is key here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I have this on my cheap-ass spare rifle.  

$69.  Comes with barrel nut.  It's a rail.  It holds things.

http://www.combatarmory.com/combat-armory-15-carbine-length-super-slim-light-m-lok-free-float-handguard/

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I like my STNGR but the price increase is kinda dumb.

Better off buying MI/BCM for a bit more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I have 2 on mixed parts builds. They are pretty decent.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Midwest industries is cheapest I would use or recommend to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]

I have one of these.  It is very well made.  My only criticism is that the barrel nut needs to be longer.  There could easily be another inch of clamping engagement.  It's very light and has a nice feel to it but that barrel nut....
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#23]
The Ohhunt $40 mlok handguards have been great on several budget builds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I asked a similar question elsewhere on the site and got mostly recommendations to buy Geissele, MI and BCM.  I love quality things, but equipping X AR range guns with $200-$400 handguards is out of the question, unfortunately. With the number of different manufacturers out there, and the fact that 98% of them use 6061 aluminum, which most everyone on this site would say is crap if used on a receiver, and the same design of barrel attachment, a nut with a groove and 2-3 bolts at 6 o'clock on the rear of the handguard, there have got to be decent, inexpensive, free-floating handguards today. By inexpensive, I mean a 15" Mlok handguard that costs $50-$75.  If one can buy a 7075 forged lower receiver for $40, there has to exist decent, cheaper, handguards out there.

A couple that haven't been mentioned are the Aero Precision Quantum handguards, which I have personal experience with, feel extremely solid and attach on tightly, albeit are heavy and wide to accommodate cans inside, and another one I found online by a house brand called Dirty Bird that looked good, was built in the US, and had good reviews, but which I have no personal experience with.  These are both straight-forward, clean-looking, not flashy, have Mlok slots all the way around, and are cheaper than the three above.

Please post back with what you decided and how it turned out.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I asked a similar question elsewhere on the site and got mostly recommendations to buy Geissele, MI and BCM.  I love quality things, but equipping X AR range guns with $200-$400 handguards is out of the question, unfortunately. With the number of different manufacturers out there, and the fact that 98% of them use 6061 aluminum, which most everyone on this site would say is crap if used on a receiver, and the same design of barrel attachment, a nut with a groove and 2-3 bolts at 6 o'clock on the rear of the handguard, there have got to be decent, inexpensive, free-floating handguards today. By inexpensive, I mean a 15" Mlok handguard that costs $50-$75.  If one can buy a 7075 forged lower receiver for $40, there has to exist decent, cheaper, handguards out there.

A couple that haven't been mentioned are the Aero Precision Quantum handguards, which I have personal experience with, feel extremely solid and attach on tightly, albeit are heavy and wide to accommodate cans inside, and another one I found online by a house brand called Dirty Bird that looked good, was built in the US, and had good reviews, but which I have no personal experience with.  These are both straight-forward, clean-looking, not flashy, have Mlok slots all the way around, and are cheaper than the three above.

View Quote
The question was what would be the cheapest handguard WE would use, and I don't understand why exactly you're having a problem with people that actually answered the question with honesty. Are you looking for people to validate your own choices maybe?
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The question was what would be the cheapest handguard WE would use, and I don't understand why exactly you're having a problem with people that actually answered the question with honesty. Are you looking for people to validate your own choices maybe?
View Quote

Don't take it personally, Bud. Last I heard, this was an open forum.  I voiced my opinions just like the others. If you didn't like, tough luck, I couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I have used expensive hand guards, I have used the cheapest ones I could find, I used whatever the Army put on them in the early 1980's. They all work fine.

In an AR the BCG and the barrel are critical everything else just keeps it in place.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't take it personally, Bud. Last I heard, this was an open forum.  I voiced my opinions just like the others. If you didn't like, tough luck, I couldn't care less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good projection in bold, and I agree, if you don't like it, tough luck back at ya Bud

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#29]

@Dace80

Looks good, but do these have a wedge or anti slip to prevent sliding forward?

Ah forget it. They wont ship that to me lmao. Pretty lame

You cant go wrong w/ Expo Arms Combat for $100. CMT makes those.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Capt_Destro, that sucks with the shipping restrictions which makes no sense, but those are the only handguards I use now. They are slim and super light, never had an issue with the grip. I think I have about 5 or 6 of those now.

" />
" />
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I like STNGR but I also have an upper built with an AT3 "Spear" and have a Matrix Arms handguard from Chandler Hardwoods sitting in deep storage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Put a cheap no-name rail I picked up off of the EE new for $30 for my wife’s rifle. It’s a budget build using a $10 BCA Veterans Day special barrel. I’ll toss on a cheap PA optic at some point. The rail actually isn’t that bad for the money.

These are for my other budget builds...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Primary Arms/Expo Combat rails are made by CMT. The only differences are no QD sockets, no logos, and no extra fancy machining. They’re an absolute steal for the cost.

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-m-lok-combat-series-handguard-black-15
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Primary Arms/Expo Combat rails are made by CMT. The only differences are no QD sockets, no logos, and no extra fancy machining. They’re an absolute steal for the cost.

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-m-lok-combat-series-handguard-black-15
View Quote

Nice, I'll have to keep these in mind.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good projection in bold, and I agree, if you don't like it, tough luck back at ya Bud

View Quote

Jonny being Jonny again.  One day maybe you will learn how to make a point without insulting or demeaning somebody, but I have my doubts.

Peace....out!
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jonny being Jonny again.  One day maybe you will learn how to make a point without insulting or demeaning somebody, but I have my doubts.

Peace....out!
View Quote

Second attack, post stalking again? Reported as well. And you projected yourself doin exactly what you're accusing me of.

link to the first attack
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Peace....out!
View Quote

Maybe he wasn't taught how to socialize when he was young, or he has too much time on his hands and thinks trolling posts in an attempt to irritate people somehow proves something (to himself).  From his response to my reply, there definitely seems to be a reading and likely a comprehension deficiency or delay.  It's because of comments like his that I limit my replies to posts.  When a lot of people are allowed to behave the same way, I, and I suspect many others, simply stop using the site. The old sniper's hide is one such example.  In a work environment, we can't always avoid these types of people, but in a site used recreationally, it's easy enough.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#38]
If free float is not a requirement my cheapest is Magpul. I don't care for clam shells but they work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Maybe he wasn't taught how to socialize when he was young, or he has too much time on his hands and thinks trolling posts in an attempt to irritate people somehow proves something (to himself).  From his response to my reply, there definitely seems to be a reading and likely a comprehension deficiency or delay.  It's because of comments like his that I limit my replies to posts.  When a lot of people are allowed to behave the same way, I, and I suspect many others, simply stop using the site. The old sniper's hide is one such example.  In a work environment, we can't always avoid these types of people, but in a site used recreationally, it's easy enough.
View Quote

Pot to kettle much?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#40]
MI…..because parts move around.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Midwest Industries is the answer for all things handguards
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Giving one of these a try, on sale for $45..

Primary Arms Exclusive: DB Firearms Handguard

If anything it seems like an improvement over the Matrix Arms Handguards.

The Diamondback Firearms DB15 Free Float M-LOK AR-15 Handguard is one of the easiest and most useful upgrades you can make to your standard M4 style rifle. The free float design and barrel nut attachment system is extremely rigid and ensures your handguard won’t rotate or move over time and keeps your iron sights zeroed. Additionally, the free float design prevents any accuracy anomalies from loading into your bipod or pressing your rifle against a barricade or any other task that—on a standard two-piece handguard—would impart pressure on your barrel and cause rounds to land somewhere you are not aiming. The DB15 free float handguard is forged from heavy duty and lightweight 7075-T6 aluminum and Mil-Spec hardcoat anodized for protection from corrosion and wear. In addition to the lightening cuts to reduce weight, the DB15 handguard features M-LOK attachment slots along 7 sides for ultimate versatility when customizing your rifle with accessories. The Diamondback Firearms DB15 M-LOK handguard comes with all the hardware you need to completely change your rifle setup.

Features:
Primary Arms exclusive
15” total length
Forged 7075-T6 aluminum
Mil-Spec hardcoat anodized black
Free float design
7 sides of M-LOK slots
Includes barrel nut and hardware
View Quote

7075 Has me Interested, and it has anti rotation tabs. Unknown if it has any type of anti slip. Description makes me think that it might?

Just sucks it's only the 15" I honestly prefer 12-13" rails.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Who makes it or more concerning, where is it being made?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Who makes it or more concerning, where is it being made?
View Quote

US Made
Diamondback Firearms, who OEMS them? I don't know.

Though like most companies they use an OEM for certain parts. Ill see what I can find.

PA is having a flash sale on them. They source some decent companies for their exclusives. (Expo Combat Rail= Cross Machine Tool, Etc)
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

US Made
Diamondback Firearms

Though like most companies they use an OEM for certain parts. Ill see what I can find.

PA js having a flash sale on them.
View Quote
Good to know that it's made here. I feel way better when I know where things are from if I recommend things to friends on a budget, who also don't want to support China if they can help it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good to know that it's made here. I feel way better when I know where things are from if I recommend things to friends on a budget, who also don't want to support China if they can help it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Made
Diamondback Firearms

PA js having a flash sale on them.

There are a ton of US Made Handguard Options out there.

Another one I was looking at were handguards from Grendel Hunter.

U.S. Made, Anti Rotation/Anti Slip Design, Maybe about $100 shipped for a 13" Rail. I was going to grab one of those before Primary Arms marked down the DB Rail at 50% off. I figure I'll give the DB a look over in person, and if I don't care for it Ill send it back.

I did speak with the owner on the phone he seemed pretty knowledgeable and helpful. I sorta feel bad I didn't pull the trigger on it.

The anti slip is built into the lock nut and interfaces with grooves on the barrel nut. Cerakote is also avail for $10-15 more.

If the DB doesn't work out, I'll be getting one of these. I'm for sure grabbing one for my next build.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Midwest
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Bootleg
BCM
DD
Geiselle
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I picked up an AIM Sport handguard for a 308 build because nothing else was available. Supposedly made in USA. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality… the machining isn’t the prettiest, but it’s pretty solid. I haven’t tested any MLok stuff on it yet.

Cost me about $75 shipped from Primary Arms.

https://www.aimsportsinc.com/
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Most people already said what I'll say: MI

MI seems like a good product line. I've got one of the lightweight handguards on a somewhat budget carbine build. Doesn't feel great on the skin (I'm partial to plastic though) but it fits the lightweight build and is pretty nice. Solid assembly. I would not go cheaper even though I'm sure some of them are alright.

ETA I bought it from Optics Planet with a coupon code. It was so much cheaper than any other vendor, I was concerned if they would actually ship. Like 2 weeks later it arrived.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top