Page / 18
Posted: 6/16/2018 8:33:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah HA...
A 7.62x25 AR would be bitchin and that should feed it
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere a manufacturer of a mag well adapter is crying.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Price will make or break this for me since I like to load multiple mags at a time but I really like the concept.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.  Although one thing I like about Glock specific lowers and my Stern Defense adapter is I can use the same mag in both a handgun and a 9MM AR.  I can see adding a couple of these to my mag collection depending on price.  Still, nice to have a choice.

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is the ejector?

Looks like a neat idea, just wondering what a conversion takes since the ejector is usually part of the mag block.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Price will make or break this for me since I like to load multiple mags at a time but I really like the concept.
View Quote
+1
As long as its reliable, the next consideration is cost.  It'd have to be like $30-40 or less to really be worth it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely need more info on this!  On the surface, it's too good to be true...  The ejector question makes me think it requires a custom bolt, with a 9mm face and dummy gas key, but a 5.56 ejector mechanism.

Being able to use standard lowers (much cheaper and much lighter) and cheap PMag shells (also much cheaper and much lighter) certainly has appeal if the other aspects aren't major steps backward.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the ejector is part of the mag.

This will make it expensive, and dumb.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I think the ejector is part of the mag.

This will make it expensive, and dumb.
View Quote
I think you're right on the 1st part, particularly as I don't see an Olympic style upper ejector pin in the video, and there looks to be a small plastic nub on the left side of the mag in the pics.  Whatever it is, it seems to work.

Expensive would be problematic, as Optics Planet already sells the ProMag 9x19mm Colt mag adapter for $50, and there's a Glock mag adapter that cheap as well.  This may be for California, as the adapter isn't a magazine, but can be installed in pre-existing grandfathered mags.  Given their history of working with Californians, this could be the target market.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If you pause the video when he shows the mag at the end it kind of looks like the rectangular bit just ahead of the feed lips might be the ejector.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep, if the is around say $20-30 it'll be worth a look but thats still too rich for my blood since you need a donor mag
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I was actually thinking about using this with the CMMG Guard.  
I have the 9mm Guard working fine in full auto with the factory Guard lower as well as with unmodified Colt mags using a Hahn Mag block and modified mag catch.

As some of you may know, the Guard uses a rotating bolt similar to a standard 556....both rely on the ejector in the bolt.   So not having an ejector in a mag block works out since I had to remove the ejector from my Hahn mag block.
So I would think I may have to remove the ejector from their mag or maybe not since I would most likely have to use my modified mag catch with this as well to work with the Guard so it may just be drop in scenario with the Guard....just need to use a modified mag catch and done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I will admit, this peaks my interest.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely interested. This would be really nice for folks who do not have a dedicated 9mm SBR lower.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw them in a thread on another forum, supposedly going to be $50 per piece. I'm already pretty firmly entrenched in Colt style so it's not for me, especially at that price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
That looks really cool. Wonder what type of bolt it requires?

Looks like the small square is the ejector. When he installs the adapter it pops up into place.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#18]
At $50 it will sell well in California, where the only other option is 10 round Glock or Colt mags.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That looks really cool. Wonder what type of bolt it requires?
View Quote
The forward part of the mag insert looks pretty narrow. I would guess it needs to be a Glock cut bolt assembly to have enough clearance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
That is a very interesting gadget, and I’m really curious how they’ll price it.

The difference between a Colt and Glock bolt is very minimal, and since it looks like the insert’s feed lips line up with the Magpul magazine’s lips, I doubt there is any specific issue with whether or not the bolt is Glock cut.  But bolts cut to clear Glock magazines feed just fine from Colt magazines, so there’s no downside with going with a Glock capable bolt.

As to the question of what else you need for this thing to work, I’m thinking there could be something more that we’re not seeing because of how far back that insert sits.  If the front edge is a feed ramp (there isn’t enough detail in the video for me to tell), that’s one thing.  But there could also be issues with feed angle and whether it only works with 9mm barrels with specific feed geometry.  And then there’s the question, regardless of whether or not it needs to clear a Glock magazine, as to whether it depends on anything proprietary in the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#22]
This type of mag mod has been done for years, I have several mags modded this way for various calibers (mine are not 1 peice insert/cartridge like this one.) One thing that makes this setup different is the assembly is one peice/self contained cartridge/adapter with correct spacer in the front and I assume a ramp as well??  I do wonder about the ejector as well, is it replaceable if it gets damaged or is the adapter toast if the ejector is damaged?  It would also be nice if it would be available for the 20 round mags (for when you are bench shoting)
As everyone has stated the cost will more than likely determine if it flies or not, it would be great if they could get the cost to $20-$25 a pop then I think it would sell well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#23]
This makes me sorta want a 9mm AR.

While I see the utility of the glock compatible ARs (especially when one has a g17/19 sidearm, I've always just been real turned off by the look.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Sent MEAN arms a email and they replied with this.

Thanks for your interest my friend. We are planning to release the product you speak of in late summer. Our tentative MSRP is $49.99. They will be available on our website and through our dealer network. Thanks for your interest and your support of MEAN Arms.

Regards,

Tommy Lawson
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#25]
MSRP $49.99.  I can see the dealers selling them for $40 every day of the week and then if you use a coupon or catch a black friday deal, $30.  That's not terrible, if they work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#26]
That's awesome.  But you have to have one per mag?  Seems cost prohibitive.  I assume most folks like mag changes over reloading the same mag over and over.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This makes me sorta want a 9mm AR.

While I see the utility of the glock compatible ARs (especially when one has a g17/19 sidearm, I've always just been real turned off by the look.
View Quote
This.  I went Colt-style 9mm, and even that looks funny unless you get a dedicated lower.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
MEAN Arms just posted a new video and pricing.

"Pre-orders will begin soon with deliveries late summer.  Pre-order discounted price will be $24.99 each or a 3-pack for $68.99."

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Most of the stuff being discussed in this thread, is answered in the comments of the youtube video by the company.

It works with both glock/colt style bolts.

The real advantage to this is SBR or FA lowers.  And the fact that some magwell adapters are not 100% reliable.

And lets face it....the look of the 5.56 mag inserted into an AR15 lower just looks WAAAY better than the glock mag.

I will buy a few when they have a version for the 40rd P-mag.

Because I think that will be the next thing to have for PPC competitive use.

_
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#30]
So if this product actually works as I'm reading it, it will make the need for a block or dedicated 9mm lower obsolete?
If that is the case and it works well then even if it were a $50 magazine product, it will save you much more over buying a dedicated complete 9mm lower right?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So if this product actually works as I'm reading it, it will make the need for a block or dedicated 9mm lower obsolete?
If that is the case and it works well then even if it were a $50 magazine product, it will save you much more over buying a dedicated complete 9mm lower right?
View Quote
1) Not quite obsolete.  I can use my Glock and my AR-9 and swap the mags back and forth all I want.  
2) This pretty much already is a $50 product by the time you add in a $10 magazine and shipping and tax and whatever else.
3) This product requires you have dedicated 9mm mags that wont run in any other gun you own.  Very large 9mm mags.  Maybe the bulkiest 9mm mags ever.  And they can't be used in any other gun you have with you.
4) The amount you save depends on how many mags you feel like you need  per gun and how many glock mags you already owned.  Some guys want 10 magazines for every gun, minimum.  If you count the cost of the donor PMAGs, by the time you buy about 4 of the MEAN adapters, it would have been cheaper to buy a dedicated lower and use your existing glock mags.
5) I have drum mags for my large and small frame glock lowers.  30 rounds is cute.  Real men have 40 and 50 round drums.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

1) Not quite obsolete.  I can use my Glock and my AR-9 and swap the mags back and forth all I want.  
2) This pretty much already is a $50 product by the time you add in a $10 magazine and shipping and tax and whatever else.
3) This product requires you have dedicated 9mm mags that wont run in any other gun you own.  Very large 9mm mags.  Maybe the bulkiest 9mm mags ever.  And they can't be used in any other gun you have with you.
4) The amount you save depends on how many mags you feel like you need  per gun and how many glock mags you already owned.  Some guys want 10 magazines for every gun, minimum.  If you count the cost of the donor PMAGs, by the time you buy about 4 of the MEAN adapters, it would have been cheaper to buy a dedicated lower and use your existing glock mags.
5) I have drum mags for my large and small frame glock lowers.  30 rounds is cute.  Real men have 40 and 50 round drums.
View Quote
Summed up nicely.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Most of the stuff being discussed in this thread, is answered in the comments of the youtube video by the company.
View Quote
This thread is 3 weeks old.  MEAN ARMS' replies below the video are all 2 weeks old.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By giantpune
View Quote
All valid points except the last one.  I have
full auto belt feds..including the 9mm FM9. Who cares?
Belt feds and drum mags are not practical for running and gunning.  Drop that plastic drum on concrete and there goes 40 or 50 rounds.  Hard to carry them around in pouches and rolling on the ground shooting under vehicles...barricades.
For me, this isnt about saving money, it is about using the same pouches I use for 556 and having the same 'loadout'.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great response.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was actually thinking about using this with the CMMG Guard.  
I have the 9mm Guard working fine in full auto with the factory Guard lower as well as with unmodified Colt mags using a Hahn Mag block and modified mag catch.

As some of you may know, the Guard uses a rotating bolt similar to a standard 556....both rely on the ejector in the bolt.   So not having an ejector in a mag block works out since I had to remove the ejector from my Hahn mag block.
So I would think I may have to remove the ejector from their mag or maybe not since I would most likely have to use my modified mag catch with this as well to work with the Guard so it may just be drop in scenario with the Guard....just need to use a modified mag catch and done.
View Quote
I do as well, but with a modified Stern block and stock Glock mags.  It does look goofy as hell.

It looks like shaving the ejector will be easy enough.  My two concerns are:

1. Feed height (the feed ramp doesn't look very high - it has me a bit baffled)
  2. Accidentally chambering a 5.56 round in my 9mm Guard upper

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I experimented with something very similar for 10mm from a 6.8 mag a while back...

Hand cycled fine, sent my prototype to Rudy at Macon, don't think he ever got it running.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Is the pre-order live on their website?  I didn't see it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is the pre-order live on their website?  I didn't see it.
View Quote
Not yet, but at 3 for $69 I am going to FO. Screw the haters I think this is cool as hell. I already have like 200 PMAGs sitting around so its not like its a big deal to pull the spring and follower out of a few plus you can always reinstall the original parts for 5.56 if you absolutely cant spare a mag, will be nice to have the same mag profile and manual of arms as my full size 5.56 guns, use the same mag carriers, etc
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not yet, but at 3 for $69 I am going to FO. Screw the haters I think this is cool as hell. I already have like 200 PMAGs sitting around so its not like its a big deal to pull the spring and follower out of a few plus you can always reinstall the original parts for 5.56 if you absolutely cant spare a mag, will be nice to have the same mag profile and manual of arms as my full size 5.56 guns, use the same mag carriers, etc
View Quote
I have a glock lower and lots of mags but will be trying these out too
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Tempted to give it a whirl, but I already have AR mags for 5.56, 5.45 and 300BLK.

I'm not sure I need another caliber waiting to be loaded in the wrong rifle in a moment of distraction.

Distractions happen, even if one is careful, and one more oops can happen to anyone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tempted to give it a whirl, but I already have AR mags for 5.56, 5.45 and 300BLK.

I'm not sure I need another caliber waiting to be loaded in the wrong rifle in a moment of distraction.

Distractions happen, even if one is careful, and one more oops can happen to anyone.
View Quote
Pretty sure you cant chamber a 9mm round into a 5.56 chamber when the ejector is built into the mag conversion. Not sure about 5.56 into a 9mm chamber.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Pretty sure you cant chamber a 9mm round into a 5.56 chamber when the ejector is built into the mag conversion. Not sure about 5.56 into a 9mm chamber.
View Quote
If you are using gen3 PMAG bodies, it would be a good idea to use the dot matrix on the side to write 9x19. Not sure if a windowed version would help identifying the contents, but it likely wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
My thoughts exactly.  I have a ton of PMags so I won't miss using 3 for 9mm.  For ~$70 I'm going to get one or 2 packages.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Thanks.  Pulled the trigger on 2 3 packs.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Guys with existing 5.56 to 9mm conversions.

How necessary is it to change the buffer weight?

And if so which weight?

Will be firing suppressed as well.

I have a 10” 5.56 sbr and been buying parts to finish out my 9mm upper for it. These mags should round everything out nicely.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Guys with existing 5.56 to 9mm conversions.

How necessary is it to change the buffer weight?

And if so which weight?

Will be firing suppressed as well.

I have a 10” 5.56 sbr and been buying parts to finish out my 9mm upper for it. These mags should round everything out nicely.
View Quote
"How necessary is it to change the buffer weight?"

Mandatory.  You're moving from a DI system to a blowback system.  The 9mm bolt is heavier than a 5.56 one for that reason.  Get a good 9mm buffer system to handle it.

"And if so which weight?"

That's the 64 dollar question, and you'll probably get different answers from different people.  There's always the standard heavy buffer weight.  I'm currently evaluating the Blitzkreig, TacCom, and MBX buffers, and hopefully will have my own answer within a week or so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top