Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2021 4:18:05 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be switching from a muzzle brake to a warcomp flash hider and I am having trouble deciding between neutral timing or having some of the ports off to the right. I am right handed and I want whatever is gonna be best for double taps. My worry with setting some of the ports to the right is that it will make my support hand shooting worse then it already is. I admittedly do not practice enough shooting my rifle left handed to begin with and I honestly don't see myself needing to shoot left handed very often. I guess im.just curious how you guys are setting up yours.

If I do go with ports to the right is it correct that I still want some ports vertical and some ports to the right? Or do I want all ports to the right?

Lastly I am planning to install using an action rod similar to how surefires install video goes. Is there anything I need to be careful of when doing this? Also does anyone know a good starting place for the amount of shims for neutral and/or some ports right?

In the surefire video he torques it down, undoes it applies rocksett and the retorques it down. Is this how you guys do it? The shims don't get messed up from retourqing and mess up the alignment?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The shims are very hard and don't crush much at all and not enough to make a difference.

The first, rear, shim has a bevel that faces the receiver and a flat side that faces out, forward, for the timing shims to squarely seat against.

If you aren't using a suppressor, you don't have to use the Rocksett, as the threads will stretch enough to hold it tight and you can change shims if you want to.

Maybe even try shooting it a few times before using Rocksett if you are going to use a suppressor, so you get it where you want it.

Shorter barrels have more muzzle blast and will power the comp direction more strongly than if it was on a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What barrel length and caliber ?.... IMHO, those factors add to how much I "degree" in my WarComps.

FWIW, I have only used the WarComps with 5.56 , 308 , and 6.5CM ... so your results might be different with a 300BK, 6.8, 7.62x39 ... etc.

Shorter barrel... slightly less cant to whichever side. ( More gas pressure at shorter lengths )

Larger caliber ( 308 / 6.5CM, with its additional gas generated ) slightly less cant to whichever side.
View Quote

It's a 16" 556 ar15. I learned more about the timing where it's either all ports at 12oclock or for right handed having some of the ports to the right. The warcomp comes with instructions for setting it up for either direction. What I don't know is what I'd prefer. Neutral vs timing for right hand? I do sometimes shoot off a bench and attach a bipod which I think the right hand timing may make the bipod lift to one side. I'm having a really hard time deciding between neutral or right handed. I'm leaning towards neutral unless having it timed for right handed really makes shooting it standing/on the move significantly better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a 16" 556 ar15. I learned more about the timing where it's either all ports at 12oclock or for right handed having some of the ports to the right. The warcomp comes with instructions for setting it up for either direction. What I don't know is what I'd prefer. Neutral vs timing for right hand? I do sometimes shoot off a bench and attach a bipod which I think the right hand timing may make the bipod lift to one side. I'm having a really hard time deciding between neutral or right handed. I'm leaning towards neutral unless having it timed for right handed really makes shooting it standing/on the move significantly better.
View Quote

Bunnie I think you would benefit with the right hand timing even off a bi-pod as the barrel still tends to want to move up and right with a neutral timed device but is less noticeable when you apply your load to the pod.  I see fun times ahead as you will be able to range test it for yourself to find your sweet spot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Time it / test it both ways.

Pick your flavor.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top