BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2021 5:05:40 PM EDT
I am not really that much of a noob to AR15s, but I have never bought separate components with the intention to assemble them at a later date for one -

If I want to buy a AR lower, either complete OR stripped for a later assembly, is there a manufacture or brand that is more recommended than an others by chance?

I just don't want to invest in a lower or lowers for future use, only to find out later they are of poor quality or fit later on?

Thanks -

Eric
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt or Aero Precision are good, but good luck finding any.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Any to deliberately AVOID by chance ? :(

I understand the availability issue :(

Thanks -
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend any lower that is in stock at this point.

KE Arms of Arizona has lowers in stock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It's really hard to go wrong these days.  Some people don't like Anderson, but that's mainly hate for the pony roll mark.  

In times like these I'd opt for the more premium lowers.  Noveske, Silencerco for billet and I like the Ballistic Advantage roll marks for more budget oriented builds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I like M16 cut lowers like Alexander Pro Fab, DSA, Matrix Arms, Geissele, Griffin Armament and Centurion.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks -
View Quote

PSA and Anderson right out the gate. Their QC wasn't the best when times were easy, it certainly hasn't gotten better under heavy market load and a rush to get products out. Others to pass on would be Radical Firearms, Diamondback, Ghost, Spike's Tactical, anything plastic, and really any name you don't promptly recognize as being a quality brand.

Ones to intentionally seek out would be Aero (especially the M4E1), BCM, SOLGW, Mega, Centurion, Primary Weapons, PRI, LMT, CMT, CMMG, FNH, Centurion, ADM, Radian, VLTOR, and KAC. There's others, but those are the ones I know and will vouch for.

Again - a lower receiver doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be in spec. Nobody's QC is improving under the current market, good brands are maintaining the status quo, but brands that were hazy on it before are only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You're fine with pretty much any lower these days. I'd just stay away from polymer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
What about Pike Arms?  Are they good quality?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about Pike Arms?  Are they good quality?
View Quote
Never heard of them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PSA and Anderson right out the gate. Their QC wasn't the best when times were easy, it certainly hasn't gotten better under heavy market load and a rush to get products out. Others to pass on would be Radical Firearms, Diamondback, Ghost, Spike's Tactical, anything plastic, and really any name you don't promptly recognize as being a quality brand.

Ones to intentionally seek out would be Aero (especially the M4E1), BCM, SOLGW, Mega, Centurion, Primary Weapons, PRI, LMT, CMT, CMMG, FNH, Centurion, ADM, Radian, VLTOR, and KAC. There's others, but those are the ones I know and will vouch for.

Again - a lower receiver doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be in spec. Nobody's QC is improving under the current market, good brands are maintaining the status quo, but brands that were hazy on it before are only going to get worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks -

Spikes Tactical on your avoid list? I'm going to challenge that one, there was a time they were very well promoted, even on this site back around 2010 best I recall.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Spikes Tactical on your avoid list? I'm going to challenge that one, there was a time they were very well promoted, even on this site back around 2010 best I recall.
View Quote
I've had many great spikes lowers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  You're fine with pretty much any lower these days. I'd just stay away from polymer.
View Quote

KE-Arms is essentially producing the Cav Arms Mk 3 as the KP-15.  Having been designed from the ground up as a polymer lower w/ integrated stock & improving on the Cav Arms/GWACS Mk 2, it's GTG.  Available from our overlords @ Brownells or KE Arms directly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Never had a problem with spikes lowers and can't remember ever hearing of anyone else having one either. You don't hear them mentioned around here much lately, but as was mentioned, they used to be pretty highly regarded.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had a problem with the ten + Spikes that I have  owned over the years.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Never had a problem with spikes lowers and can't remember ever hearing of anyone else having one either. You don't hear them mentioned around here much lately, but as was mentioned, they used to be pretty highly regarded.
View Quote

I think it was around when they started with the helmet lower and other gimmicky stuff.

I have a  crusader lower and their complete rifle with just the cross on it look pretty sweet, but some of that other stuff is....

Good quality from my lower and other stuff I've got from them. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Spike's is good to go, just over priced if you ask me. I own one, but likely won't buy another just because of the price and there's nothing special about them. Now IF Spike's innovated like Aero Precision does with their upper receivers, that would be a different story.

Many, if not most here, have forged lowers from many different companies. They're essentially all the same. Sometimes the only difference is a variation in the color of the anodizing and just a different roll mark.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I've built many AR's now using Anderson lowers without any problems.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  The lower isn’t where the magic happens.  

Get a good barrel, BCG, and upper.  I prefer the vltor A5 buffer system and 2 stage triggers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. 13 to be exact. I'll use more.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't believe this post.

PSA and Anderson are fine.

I have built or helped build over a dozen PSA lowers and NEVER had a single problem. Plus they have fantastic customer service right here on ARFCOM, if you have a single issue which I doubt you will.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't believe this post.

I have built or helped build over a dozen PSA lowers and NEVER had a single problem. Plus they have fantastic customer service right here on ARFCOM, if you have a single issue which I doubt you will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't believe this post.

THIS.  

Built a number of Palmetto Lowers w/ ZERO issues.

Built a number of Anderson Lowers w/ ZERO issues.

Great Rifles with ZERO issues because of the LOWERS (besides not having 'Posh' status name).
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Same here.  The lower isn’t where the magic happens.  

Get a good barrel, BCG, and upper.  I prefer the vltor A5 buffer system and 2 stage triggers.
View Quote

I wasn't looking for a "super lower", I was more worried about buying a garbage lower now and having issues later, as I have never bought just a lower for adding my own upper before - I have bought all my rifles complete/factory assemblies previously.

I plan to buy a complete BCM upper to add to whatever lower I get later. I am currently considering Spikes (?).

Thanks -

Eric
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
This is a recent PSA lower:

Attachment Attached File

But as already stated, they "will take care of it".
It's a weekly response in their Industry Forum.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/0-A7-A0-E6-A-1-CCA-4-E10-A37-B-88-A76009-1809948.JPG

View Quote

There is no selector installed for the detent to ride in.  I can honestly state I have never put the detent in without a selector installed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#25]
PSA, Anderson, and if you want something nice the Aero Precision M4E1 is easy on the eyes. You might have to hit gunbroker.com for a M4E1 though, and pay for it. Great looking lowers and I'd probably fork out the extra cash to secure one if I didn't already have one. As for the PSA and Andersons, they work and they are cheap. I have never had any significant problems with either and would certainly buy more if I wanted cheap lowers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
M4E1s are great, but hard to come by currently. I'd just grab whatever forged lower you can get ahold of. Hell, I'd buy at least 2. The extra one may come in handy if things all go to shit. One of my favorite guns has a core 15 lower. I think I've heard them mentioned maybe once or twice. They're far from a household name, but a forged lower is a forged lower. Take what you can get.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last one I built the grip screw hole wasn't threaded all the way. Was a PITA to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is no selector installed for the detent to ride in.  I can honestly state I have never put the detent in within a selector installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/0-A7-A0-E6-A-1-CCA-4-E10-A37-B-88-A76009-1809948.JPG

There is no selector installed for the detent to ride in.  I can honestly state I have never put the detent in within a selector installed.

The channel for the detent is drilled off center, the selector will not throw 90 degrees.

(Pic is not mine FWIW.)
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The channel for the detent is drilled off center, the selector will not throw 90 degrees.

(Pic is not mine FWIW.)
View Quote

You posted a pic of a "PSA" lower that can't actually be ID'd as one of theirs, to demonstrate they are junk, and then tell us it's not your pic.  

I am not stating it's not their product, only that veracity of the lower can't be determined by the picture.

The lower pictured may or may not allow the selector to go to a position that would let the trigger move enough to fire.  I can see that now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You posted a pic of a "PSA" lower that can't actually be ID'd as one of theirs, to demonstrate they are junk, and then tell us it's not your pic.  

I am not stating it's not their product, only that veracity of the lower can't be determined by the picture.

The lower pictured may or may not allow the selector to go to a position that would let the trigger move enough to fire.  I can see that now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Pic is not mine FWIW.)

Never said they were "junk". Obviously their volume output is higher than many but damn, it's every week that guys have issues. Spend some time in their Industry Forum. The last 3 guys that I suggested go PSA all had issues with their kit, (all remedied by Josiah fairly quick).

The lower is an M4A1 PSA lower, pic directly from their IF, next time I'll make sure that the poster includes a pic of the roll markings for authentication.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a fan of AERO, Anderson and BCM.

RC
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I have assembled Larue, LMT, RRA and PSA over the years and all have been good to work with.  The past four or five were PSA and though they get ball peened here some time, they have been very good for me.  All function very well and the fit anf finish is not bad.

As replies have said, you are picking the absolute worst time to start this.

I hate to say get what you can get but in todays climate, it is what it is.  

I have said before in this forum and I dont know the current wait times, but IMO you cannot get a better AR for the money than a Larue UU kit.  Get one on order today, may be months to delver but it is on order.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dang. I need to go out and look at those spares I have.

I bought (4) more PSA M4A1 (property of) clone lowers to put back
for later use.

ETA: I've never had a issue with the other (4) PSA lowers I bought
(2-M16A2-4 and 2 SNEK).
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Op, do you have any local gun stores that have lower receivers in stock? That would be my first place to look. Yes, they will likely
be overpriced, depending on the retail situation in your FL AO. You will just have to swallow the prices asked right now, as said above, bad
time to be looking for anything. Get to know your local proprietors. Anderson and PSA are generally considered lower tier, but they work fine,
at least in my experience. My oldest receiver is a Spike's Tactical, never had any issue in operation with it, and it has worn several different uppers
and has seen quite a few rounds touched off by it. That said, mis-manufactured parts can happen from any source, which is why I prefer holding
and examining a part in my own two hands.

@Tigwelder1971 your pic of the off-center selector detent hole is interesting. I have only seen that in some EP Armory polymer 80% builds that I have done.
The selector settings were not 100% accurate, but they did hold safe and fire with tactile and audible "clicks".
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
What are you claiming is wrong with this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks -

Same here.  Spikes is GTG, always has been IMO.  Also much misinformation about Anderson.  An in spec lower is an in spec lower.  Quality control seems very consistent with them.  While not "Gucci" grade, they work fine.

As stated above, take what you can find these days within reasonable limits.  Spikes is actually quite good and even Anderson is acceptable.  

Not long ago I made an effort to see what I could do with left over spare parts from upgrades or other builds and buy only what I didn't already have.  I sought out the lowest price stripped upper and stripped lower from major mainline manufacturers or vendors.

My stripped lower was a $49 Anderson from a LGS.  The stripped upper was an AR Stoner, house brand from MidwayUSA.  Don't recall price now, but was cheap.  Both completely in spec.  Both mated well to everything and each other.  Lower parts kit was the CMMG Gun Builders Kit.  I had everything else.  It's proved so reliable it is now my HD carbine.  Always goes bang.

I don't mind spending money on rifles and their accessories.  My precision AR reflects that.  Over $2k in it.  Maybe more.  Barrel alone close to $500.  But, for those on a tight budget or just trying to build a working AR right now, no need to blow off Anderson.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Stay away from Olympic arms.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  Stay away from Olympic arms.
View Quote

They gone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Claiming? Nothing. Just posting it as an example.

Defect has already been covered here.

Other recent highlights have been fucked up ano, and incorrect TG roll pin location.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Nonsense. I have done builds on both brands of lower, no issues. A lower is a lower, paying extra for a roll mark is of questionable value. Right now buy whatever you can find.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

While not the best the two Anderson lowers I just picked up seem OK.  Built one up with a LMT LPK and the other Colt.  No issues.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I have built on aero, spikes and psa lowers and they all were fine. Everything functioned good and was happy with each build. I have never built on an Anderson but have considered grabbing one for a cheap price. Saw them a week ago in stock for less than $50. In this environment I thought it was a steal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  I have built on aero, spikes and psa lowers and they all were fine. Everything functioned good and was happy with each build. I have never built on an Anderson but have considered grabbing one for a cheap price. Saw them a week ago in stock for less than $50. In this environment I thought it was a steal.
View Quote

Yup.  Gunshow last weekend only lower in the house on a dealer's table was a populated KP-15 for $200.  I sold a populated New Frontier Armory polymer lower w/ thumbhole stock for $275 to a dealer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have built on aero, spikes and psa lowers and they all were fine. Everything functioned good and was happy with each build. I have never built on an Anderson but have considered grabbing one for a cheap price. Saw them a week ago in stock for less than $50. In this environment I thought it was a steal.
View Quote

I'd be in for shop info. PM would be great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just found 6 Aero Precision’s in my safe

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My Anderson and PSA's have been fine.  The worst thing about Anderson is that stupid flaming horse roll mark.   It looks dumb, and makes me think of a cheap Colt knockoff.

I wonder how much more popular Anderson would they has a simple "A" for a logo?  Of course people would say it is an Aero knockoff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My Anderson and PSA's have been fine.  The worst thing about Anderson is that stupid flaming horse roll mark.   It looks dumb, and makes me think of a cheap Colt knockoff.

I wonder how much more popular Anderson would they has a simple "A" for a logo?  Of course people would say it is an Aero knockoff.
View Quote

You mean like THESE?

Been out a long minute.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was wondering about that, 10 years Back all you hear was spikes, now almost never, anyone knows why?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  I was wondering about that, 10 years Back all you hear was spikes, now almost never, anyone knows why?
View Quote

B/c Anderson's were significantly cheaper but nobody's gonna admit to using em.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top