BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2019 4:00:05 PM EDT
The charging handle that came with my PSA upper appears to be a piece of crap. I can bend it easily with my hands, in fact it has so much excessive wear on it I took it out to look closer and saw that it wasn’t straight so I straightened it with my hands, but of course I wasn’t able to completely straighten it. The rifle still works fine, but I started looking into charging handles and it sounds like the BCM Gunfighter is well-regarded. My LGS has them for $50, so I went in to look at them just now and I really can’t tell if its a significant upgrade over the PSA one. It appears to be the same dimensions and of course I wasn’t able to test how strong it is so I guess that’s kind of what I’m asking. Will the BCM get easily bent out of shape? Is this $50 well-spent or should I spend the money on something else? I have an RDS and am pretty happy with the rest of the rifle so all I really need now is a sling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM Mod4 is tits. Get the older style is you can find one.

Quit bending stuff that isn't supposed to bend
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BCM Mod4 is tits. Get the older style is you can find one.

Quit bending stuff that isn't supposed to bend
View Quote
What makes the older style different than the newer style?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The latch is different. Prefer the older style but you might not notice any difference if you've never used one
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
PSA charging handles are junk imo and are the flimsiest I have ever seen. Otherwise, I'm borderline ok with much of their other products. For basic mil-spec CHs, I've been using Colt (cage code types). But they're pretty proud of them imo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a BCM and loved it. I like my Geissele ACH the most, Radian second most, and BCM third. For the price it's certainly hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
BCM is great. I like the new style. The sizing is different so if you prefer the old medium you will want a new large latch.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Vltor owns the design for the old BCM charging handles, they're making them under their own name now.

https://www.skdtac.com/Vltor-5-56-Charging-Handle-p/vlt.118.htm
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
"How important is the charging handle?"

Pretty important, can't use the rifle without it.
Next question.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#10]
For me the flashy features aren't as important as the construction.  What I look for in a charging handle is Forged 7075.   Cheap charging handles are usually extruded 6061 and will likely wear and bend much easier.  It's not worth saving $10.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the VLTOR/BCM charging handle, but I like Radian's design better.

If I was looking for an upgraded charging handle I'd buy a Radian or a Geissele.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I started looking into charging handles and it sounds like the BCM Gunfighter is well-regarded. My LGS has them for $50, so I went in to look at them just now and I really can’t tell if its a significant upgrade over the PSA one.
View Quote
It's a case of "you don't know what you don't know."

Yes, the BCM CH will be a significant upgrade to the PSA one. No, the BCM handle will not bend under normal use/handling. It also makes left-hand manipulation of the CH much easier.

I've been using an original VLTOR/BCM Gunfighter for a dozen + (whenever they first came out) and had zero issues...it just works and you'll never think about it. I also have one of the newer BCM Mod4B on another upper, works just as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
get an ambi radian or bcm CH.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
OP without the charging handle you have an expensive hammer so yes it is important.  Dunno how you bent yours but even 6061 charging handles don't bend that easily.  Having said that purchase a mil-spec charging handle that is made of 7075T6 aluminum and you will be good to go.  If you have money to throw away you can get even fancier charging handles that have their respective pros and cons for the coin and name.

Is the juice worth the squeeze IMHO for some sort of upgraded charging handle................no.  I roll with mil-spec 7075T6 charging handles as do approximately 98% of the .mil does and we punch more than holes in paper with our rifles .  I hope this helps bro.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been shooting AR15s recreationally and in matches since the mid 1980s, I have owned more than 20 and in that time I have never had one single problem with a charging handle nor have I ever known anyone who has.

IMHO it is merely a way to sell a $20 part for $100.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been shooting AR15s recreationally and in matches since the mid 1980s, I have owned more than 20 and in that time I have never had one single problem with a charging handle nor have I ever known anyone who has.

IMHO it is merely a way to sell a $20 part for $100.
View Quote
Agreed as long as it is 7075T6.  If you ever have to mortar or boot kick a rifle/carbine you can break the 6061 more easily vs the 7075 charging handle.  Trust me bro but I agree with your assessment.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m back to basic mil on handles.

Ar 15s are $100 bill shredders if you let them be. And after my 4th fancy charging handle I asked myself what the real added value was? And couldn’t come up with an honest answer.

I can rack my rifle just as fast, reach it under an optic just as easily, it doesn’t jab into my stomach. And so on.

I’m on my 9th rifle build and will probably skip boutique charging handles in the future.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m back to basic mil on handles.

Ar 15s are $100 bill shredders if you let them be. And after my 4th fancy charging handle I asked myself what the real added value was? And couldn’t come up with an honest answer.

I can rack my rifle just as fast, reach it under an optic just as easily, it doesn’t jab into my stomach. And so on.

I’m on my 9th rifle build and will probably skip boutique charging handles in the future.
View Quote
I agree.  Also for those that have never fast roped or un-assing a helicopter in the pitch black.............your charging handle can and will get hung up on your kit so then you have to either do a brass check or just chamber a new round period.  I know this isn't going to happen to most but it's a consideration even if you are merely running and gunning through a range course where obsticles cause you to climb, jump and hit the ground with force.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Geissele Super charging handles are uber high quality.  Ambi in case you're injured and don't snag on things like some of the most popular handles can. Also easy to operate wearing gloves.

Of course the Geissele is a $100 bill shredder too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#21]
It's pricy, but I love my Radian Raptor.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya my buddies say Radian this, Geissele that etc etc......mine is a 6061 T6 FORGED (not extruded) traditional handle and its just fine...….6061...the horror.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Get the BCM Gunfighter medium. It just plain works.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#25]
As a southpaw, good ambidextrous charging handles are important to me so I have changed out all my standard charging handles to Raptors.

The larger levers make it easier to charge from either side without being so large that they poke or snag when slung. They are also easier to get at when optics are mounted.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BCM charging handles at Primary Arms

BCM on sale for $33.
View Quote
This is a nice option if you feel the need for a non std charging handle
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
The charging handle on my PSA Freedom upper survived being kick-started and ultimately being rammed against a steel support to clear a misfeed from a mag whose feed lips had split.

It's still straight, works fine. Although now I know another reason for an extended charging handle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Great CS reply from PSA!!! I have never bought from PSA but I will now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#30]
The charging handles that come with PSA Freedom rifles...

Are they 6061 or 7075 T6? I checked but didn't see it mentioned on the site.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#31]
The Geissele ACH is used by USASOC. That's all you need to know.

The BCM charging handles? Only used by serious trigger pullers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Since I can't seem to nail down info on the stock PSA charging handle, I suspect it's 6061. No big deal, I was just curious.

I'd like to upgrade, but since we're so close to the holidays, I'll wait and see what the sales bring. I'd like to get a BCM or Raptor, along with some other stuff, and I'm hoping the holiday sales will be substantial. Given the year ahead, I feel like this is a good time to stock up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#34]
As a few people have already mentioned....make sure it is 7075 and you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I’ll be going with a Radian Raptor for my pistol build, for a few reasons:

Vet discount
Additional discount when paired with a Talon selector (-$4.50)
The OD color option for both

If I like it well enough, I’ll probably get an FDE Raptor for my carbine that currently sports a BCM medium latch.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you PM me your order number, I can send you a good one. I apologize that the one you got is not working well for you.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote
I have a whole stack of PSA charging handles....and I try to grab the 7075 versions when I can (or if they are on sale with a kit).
Question...
Is there a way to tell the 7075 versions from the 6061's?  At this point I probably have 6 or 7 in a pile, plus what are on the rifles, and I can no longer remember what is what.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd just wait to see if Stag has a sale on some for Black Friday.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd just wait to see if Stag has a sale on some for Black Friday.
View Quote
Should have been the first post!
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ouch.
View Quote
???
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LINK
View Quote
Ah, okay. So, scratch that one off the list.

Hoping for some good Black Friday deals. I have a feeling this is going to be the last, good Black Friday for gun parts and accessories as far as availability and price goes, although I hope to be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]
So...

What about something like this? GTG?

Link
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't find any reviews of it, but it looks nice. And I like the color. But, I don't have any experience with that finish, though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Bought a couple of their steel ones on sale before. They have a new one that's all steel but I have not tried it. https://www.dsarms.com/p-16855-dsa-ar15-forged-steel-charging-handle-with-warz-extended-latch-phosphate-finish.aspx
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you PM me your order number, I can send you a good one. I apologize that the one you got is not working well for you.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The charging handle that came with my PSA upper appears to be a piece of crap. I can bend it easily with my hands, in fact it has so much excessive wear on it I took it out to look closer and saw that it wasn’t straight so I straightened it with my hands, but of course I wasn’t able to completely straighten it. The rifle still works fine, but I started looking into charging handles and it sounds like the BCM Gunfighter is well-regarded. My LGS has them for $50, so I went in to look at them just now and I really can’t tell if its a significant upgrade over the PSA one. It appears to be the same dimensions and of course I wasn’t able to test how strong it is so I guess that’s kind of what I’m asking. Will the BCM get easily bent out of shape? Is this $50 well-spent or should I spend the money on something else? I have an RDS and am pretty happy with the rest of the rifle so all I really need now is a sling.

Thank you,

Josiah
That would be nice, I’ll send you a PM right now, thank you.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread, I appreciate all the input.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a turd charging handle turn a rifle into a single shot a few years back.  Looked at extractor tension, gas, etc. then happened to notice the CH was slightly bent & rubbing on the upper receiver.  Replaced with a BCM I had on hand & no issues since.

x15 on making sure it’s at least a decent 7075 part.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Just ordered a Raptor LT ambidextrous CH for $49 on sale from DSG Arms. I was also looking at the BCM CH, but everyone seems to like the Raptor better. Good price?

The BCM was also $49, but popular opinion swayed me to the LT.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top