Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2019 2:43:13 PM EDT
Hi folks, I posted this question in the Build It Yourself subforum under the ongoing 80% lower thread, but I thought the A2 experts here might be able to answer it:

Does anyone sell an 80% forged lower that matches the style of the early FN M16A2 in this post by MauserMatt? The particular detail I’m looking at is the lack of the cylindrical “bulge” / reinforcement on the right side at the rear of the receiver were the hole is drilled from the back end for the takedown pin detent / spring. I’m still looking through the links in that 80% thread, but so far, all of them show that reinforcement that characterizes a later lower.

I tried looking at the pinned lower receiver thread in this forum to better understand the detail variations, but a lot of the photo links are broken. I’m guessing I may have to look at having someone mill off that detail on a standard lower for me. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you referring to FN’s A2 lowers or the later pattern? There are essentially three A2/M4 lower types: early Colt/Balimoy, late FN and Colt/Sabre, and the current FN,  of which only the second pattern is commercially available unfortunately.

Furether more, lowers currently available have the  trigger well flashing is removed for “cosmetic” reasons and have always bugged me as all but the 01/02 models leave this flashing intact from all Govt. manufacturers. No one makes a pattern one or three that I know of, unfortunately.

William
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi folks, I posted this question in the Build It Yourself subforum under the ongoing 80% lower thread, but I thought the A2 experts here might be able to answer it:

Does anyone sell an 80% forged lower that matches the style of the early FN M16A2 in this post by MauserMatt? The particular detail I’m looking at is the lack of the cylindrical “bulge” / reinforcement on the right side at the rear of the receiver were the hole is drilled from the back end for the takedown pin detent / spring. I’m still looking through the links in that 80% thread, but so far, all of them show that reinforcement that characterizes a later lower.

I tried looking at the pinned lower receiver thread in this forum to better understand the detail variations, but a lot of the photo links are broken. I’m guessing I may have to look at having someone mill off that detail on a standard lower for me. Thanks for any help you can offer!
View Quote

If you talking about a 80% lower contact John Brace he is known as Braceman on here. He can profile it the way you want it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you referring to FN’s A2 lowers or the later pattern? There are essentially three A2/M4 lower types: early Colt/Balimoy, late FN and Colt/Sabre, and the current FN,  of which only the second pattern is commercially available unfortunately.

Furether more, lowers currently available have the  trigger well flashing is removed for “cosmetic” reasons and have always bugged me as all but the 01/02 models leave this flashing intact from all Govt. manufacturers. No one makes a pattern one or three that I know of, unfortunately.

William
View Quote
This brings up some good points. While you could carefully sand or mill away features that weren't part of military A2s, there are features such as the mentioned flashing in the trigger well that would have to put back on. I've thought about calling Anderson to see if they could leave the flashing on the 80s they offer, and they are not too far away from me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m referring to the reinforced area to the rear of the takedown pin in this photo (I hope @MauserMatt doesn’t mind if I repost his photo). This is what he described as the oldest FN A2 that he had in the armory where he works:

Attachment Attached File

Current 80% lowers all seem to have the raised cylindrical reinforcement from the rear plate to the takedown pin where the spring and detent pass through, like this Colt Cerro 6920:

Attachment Attached File

LMT’s seems to be even more heavily reinforced, with the cylindrical bulge only visible at the rear:

Attachment Attached File

Can you indicate how these align with the variations you described?  I think, as mentioned, I’ll ask Braceman to make the modification to a Cerro 80% lower. Too bad he can’t engrave it also...

Could you explain or provide a photo showing what you mean by the trigger well flashing? I’m guessinf I’ve seen it and will recognize it, but I’m not sure what you mean. Thanks, William!
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
https://mdxarms.com/mdx-arms-7075-t6-80-ar15-lower-anodized-with-open-trigger-guard/

Disclaimers: I have not seen these in person. I have no idea when the pics were taken.

The ones shown appear to be what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I would but I can’t figure out how to post pics ??
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m referring to the reinforced area to the rear of the takedown pin in this photo (I hope @MauserMatt doesn’t mind if I repost his photo). This is what he described as the oldest FN A2 that he had in the armory where he works
View Quote
I don't mind one bit! Unfortunately I don't work at that facility anymore.

Last I heard, they'll be phasing out all of the M16A2s we had in the state within the next year or two.... I'm sure all the extra parts will probably end up in the shredder...
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you wanted an 80%, but those little differences are one of the reasons when I start "A2" era projects, I buy a Colt sporter or very early "post ban" match target.

Colt quality, color, minor details, overall feel, other period parts you don't have to track down >  80% lower with faux markings (most look fake anyway) that you are never going to get right in terms of color (without paint)or shape.....

The Colt nuances like bolt carrier, trigger pins dont bother me. The screw pivot pin is a little bit of a PITA / can damage the lower, but can deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Colt quality, color, minor details, overall feel, other period parts you don't have to track down >  80% lower with faux markings (most look fake anyway) that you are never going to get right in terms of color (without paint)or shape.....
View Quote
Unfortunately I’m specifically trying to clone an FN A2, which is what my unit was primarily equipped with. Fortunately with old FN A2s, as seen in these photos, the upper and lower colors seem to be almost universally mismatched.  I think it might look strange if they did match perfectly!  Maybe when they were new, but from the time I remember them, they were a patchwork of colors.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I don't think I ever saw that many new looking mag pouches all in one team ever.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Long story short, our unit had about a 90% turnover of personnel after our ‘05-‘06 deployment. As we were reconstituting in the fall of ‘06, we were receiving about 5-10 new privates each week, each with newly-issued gear. We were really short on NCOs too, so I think this stack was all privates, with maybe a PFC or SPC as the team leader. This may have been the last year that I saw the Army issue those old 3-mag pouches before we transitioned over to all MOLLE.

On a side note, the last guy in the stack was promoted to E-7 two years ago. It’s always great to see good Soldiers grow up!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Long story short, our unit had about a 90% turnover of personnel after our ‘05-‘06 deployment. As we were reconstituting in the fall of ‘06, we were receiving about 5-10 new privates each week, each with newly-issued gear. We were really short on NCOs too, so I think this stack was all privates, with maybe a PFC or SPC as the team leader. This may have been the last year that I saw the Army issue those old 3-mag pouches before we transitioned over to all MOLLE.

On a side note, the last guy in the stack was promoted to E-7 two years ago. It’s always great to see good Soldiers grow up!
View Quote
That was normal in that time frame. My unit at Hood was the same way....

"DA" stacked the unit about 6-9 months prior to deployment.. Most of the 11B E-6 and above had just come off some sort of instructor duty.
By the time everyone came off block leave after deployment, 2/3s of the unit was PCSing somewhere else... Many being sent to recruiter, DS, instructor, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those ALICE pouches mixed with the MOLLE made me recall a time back in the old days of the latter part of the twentieth century. Mid 1990s some units still had quite a bit of ALICE gear, some units had LBVs. We had a new kid come in who was issued a brand new LBV and also ALICE ammo pouches by CIF with his TA-50. He set his "Marne standard" up with all of it. At Thursday morning's sergeants time training formation 1SG ripped the poor guy a new one. I thought Top was a bit harsh, the guy was young and really didn't know any better. The good old days.

Looking forward to seeing your FN clone.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember a few guys using both the LBV and mag pouches when the LBV pockets shrank to where you had trouble fitting mags in them. It always did seem little excessive though.

Quoted:
View Quote
It’s coming along slowly. Halfway done, at least! The easier half... FN Cerro upper, FNMI barrel, BCG, and charging handle, and Colt handguards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember a few guys using both the LBV and mag pouches when the LBV pockets shrank to where you had trouble fitting mags in them. It always did seem little excessive though.

It’s coming along slowly. Halfway done, at least! The easier half... FN Cerro upper, FNMI barrel, BCG, and charging handle, and Colt handguards.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/DF9AC031-0AEF-44A9-9D12-4C23C8232AAC_jpeg-833684.JPG
View Quote
Mine is wearing semi shiny handguards that I recently found all dirty in a box at an LGS for $5. Got the early heat shields without the "do not remove" stamped in them. Just like my first A2 contract Colt I lugged all over the place from 89-91. When I wasn't humping the SAW anyway. Almost got it the way I want it, now to get these 80s engraved, milled and anoded so I can use this Anderson lower on a modern type for range play.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/DF9AC031-0AEF-44A9-9D12-4C23C8232AAC_jpeg-833684.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like it, looks just like mine!!!!!

I used a modern FN lower however to complete it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#17]
OP,
you need to find a mid-late 90's Colt lower in order to get the feature you're talking about.
My old Mtach Target made in 2000 is like that and the forging style is one of the reason I didnt sold it yet despite being a HBAR
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, after a lot of searching, I think I’ve narrowed it down to “pretty close.” It looks like the LMT lower that I posted above is the style made by Anchor Harvey. I got one of their 80% lowers last week, but it had an odd modification done to it (seen here), so I’m tracking down an unmodified version. There’s a slight difference in the reinforcing “collar” at the rear of the receiver, but I think by removing the small bit of raised area over the takedown pin detent spring, it will look pretty close to the real FN lower below:

LMT / Anchor Harvey lower:
Attachment Attached File

FN M16A2:
Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
OP,
you need to find a mid-late 90's Colt lower in order to get the feature you're talking about.
My old Mtach Target made in 2000 is like that and the forging style is one of the reason I didnt sold it yet despite being a HBAR
View Quote
The problem with that is that I’m cloning an FN M16A2. I can’t use a Colt lower to do that. I’m trying to go the 80% route to get it as close as possible.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, after a lot of searching, I think I’ve narrowed it down to “pretty close.” It looks like the LMT lower that I posted above is the style made by Anchor Harvey. I got one of their 80% lowers last week, but it had an odd modification done to it (seen here), so I’m tracking down an unmodified version. There’s a slight difference in the reinforcing “collar” at the rear of the receiver, but I think by removing the small bit of raised area over the takedown pin detent spring, it will look pretty close to the real FN lower below:

LMT / Anchor Harvey lower:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/A15D0E1F-30C1-4DFF-AD6F-D356201B29BC_jpeg-824786.JPG

FN M16A2:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/FNMI_FK_Upper_Receiver_jpg-922920.JPG

The problem with that is that I’m cloning an FN M16A2. I can’t use a Colt lower to do that. I’m trying to go the 80% route to get it as close as possible.
View Quote
You can also look at other 1990s lowers or rifles as donors. Bushmaster, Eagle Arms/Armalite come to mind. If you get lucky, you might find a post ban rifle, so you are not having to compete with those after a pre94.

ETA-

If you really want to get creative, you can research who was making raw forgings and or sub contracting lowers back then. For example, LAR Grizzly or LMT, etc... Then cross reference that with who was supplying FN and a commercial company at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Try here Cerro Forge which is the closest I could find to the early profile. Braceman is doing FN A2 and A3 for me with that lower. For later A4 and M4A1 I went with the AH forge from Delta Team Tactical in UT.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I actually posted here about my frustrations with the Cerro lower from Right to Bear. The new version that they are selling looks kind of like older Colt A2 lowers in the rear “collar” area, but it’s almost identical to the FN M4A1 lowers that I’ve seen. The only difference is the prominent point at the bottom of the magwell fence - FN M4A1s have a traditional rounded fence:

Attachment Attached File

Funny that you mentioned the Delta Team Tactical Anchor Harvey lower, because I just looked it up, and their listing uses the same photo as the Omega Tactical Distribution listing for the same 80% lower here - and both of them are showing a Cerro lower, with the Keyhole forge mark visible at the top rear of the trigger well.

@HenryKnoxFineBooks - Would you mind posting a photo of each side of one of those lowers, if you have one handy? I asked Omega for photos a couple days ago but haven’t heard back. I’ll order a couple from Delta Team Tactical if it’s the style I’m looking for (theirs are cheaper). Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#22]

FN lowers over the years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are views of the AH 80% - flash removed from the trigger well and rear detent channel tapered for a screw for those who have to conatantly futz with their weapons are the two obvious differences from mil lowers.

right side -

For the most part, that forging is close enough for me. Pic of the FN M4A1 above is like the Cerro forging

Here is a ColtA2 with what looks to be a Cerro lower

Attachment Attached File

Colt M4A1s with both

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

By the time we reach 1988, when FN gets its first M16A2 contract, the early lowers we see on the Colts have gone away - as we see in the XM4 pics, which looks close to the AH lower, while the thinner rear reenforcement look to date to pre 1987 weapons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here are views of the AH 80% - flash removed from the trigger well and rear detent channel tapered for a screw for those who have to conatantly futz with their weapons are the two obvious differences from mil lowers.
View Quote
Thank you very much for those photos - that confirms that the Anchor Harvey lower is the one I'm looking for.  I ordered two from Delta Team Tactical for this project.  I got a troubling reply back from Omega Tactical Distribution when I asked about the lower that they're selling - the rep said that they get 80% lowers from various sources, so they couldn't guarantee that I would receive an Anchor Harvey lower if I ordered one (despite the product name saying that it's an Anchor Harvey lower).

I've found that, like many things when it comes to military weapons, the flash on the inside of the trigger well varies between individual weapons and batches.  Here are photos of two later production FN A2s that I got a chance to look at back in March.  The first one shows the flash almost completely ground down, while the second has a thin line of flash at the mold seam.  Based on that, I'm not concerned about trying to replicate that on a clone - it could be hit or miss as to whether the real on has the flash in that area.  My apologies for the mediocre photos - it was pretty overcast that day, and I was in a rush.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I posted additional photos of these receivers here, in case you’re interested.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#25]
These are the new offerings from RTBA.  Cerro forging but way different rear configuration.  Perhaps close to early Colt or Balimony???  Looks like they would be harder to reprofile to A1 configuration.

https://www.righttobear.com/cerro-forge-raw-80-percent-lower-receiver-p/80raw-1.htm

Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These are the new offerings from RTBA.  Cerro forging but way different rear configuration.
View Quote
Yeah, I mentioned above that I posted photos of that new version here. I was a bit frustrated with RTB because I ordered one expecting to get another old style Cerro lower (they still had old photos in the product listing). The new version looks kind of like older Colt A2 lowers in that area, and it’s almost identical to the FN M4A1 lower. Unfortunately the one difference is that sharp point at the bottom of the magwell fence. FN M4A1s have a normal rounded fence like the older style Cerro lower.

The one you have actually looks a little different from the one I received. Mine had the rear 1/4 or so of mounting “fin” for the pistol grip cut off to make room for the tensioning screw hole that they added to the later version. Does yours have the threaded screw hole in that location? I think there was an interim version in between without it. I’m actually curious whether they are actually Cerro lowers, because I couldn’t find any evidence that they ever had a Cerro keyhole forge mark on them, despite what the RTB page says.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
The ones I received did not have the new set screw hole and likewise, I ordered them with a different picture of the item.  I got them with the intent of having a couple reprofiled to A1 configuration but I don't think they have enough material to allow that.  Oh well, plan B, perhaps a Balimony clone...
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Do yours have this same sharp point at the bottom of the magwell fence? If it wasn’t for that, I’d love to Buy one off you for an FN M4A1 clone, but I think that would bug me (yes, I’m a little obsessive).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Same point at bottom....

Link Posted: 9/2/2019 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Same point at bottom....
View Quote
That’s a bummer - so close to being a great base for an FN M4A1 clone, but that point would really bug me. Not sure why they would have changed that, other than to make their design look different.

Quoted:
Delta Team Tactical/Omega Manufacturing/ Davidson's Defense are all one/same. Shady ass company.
View Quote
You had me worried, but my Delta Team Tactical order arrived safely yesterday. The Anchor Harvey lower is about as close as I could hope for in terms of matching the FN A2 lower. There are a few small, subtle difference that even I can live with. Only minor complaint is that the lip around the magwell is very “chunky.” It seems much heavier than other lowers. It may just be the way that the shop finished then. I might see if Braceman can re-profile it for me a little.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#32]
@3ACR_Scout

I found another variant of the Cerro lower.  This one has the earlier receiver extension reinforcing with the "pointy" magazine fencing.  It's on a Bushmaster lower shown as part of a kit sold by CDNN.
(I now believe this lower is from Precision Forge after seeing photos on their website)
CDNN - Bushmaster A2 Upper Kit

Noreen Firearms also advertizes this odd forging as an 80%.
Noreen 80% Cerro-type lower

I have also seen this "pointy" fencing on Anderson's 80% lower with closed trigger guard. (also with the earlier RE reinforcing)
(will add a photo of that one later if I can find it again)
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Colt M4A1s with both

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180398/colt_m4a1_jpg-1070197.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/180398/coltm4a1_jpg-1070198.JPG

By the time we reach 1988, when FN gets its first M16A2 contract, the early lowers we see on the Colts have gone away - as we see in the XM4 pics, which looks close to the AH lower, while the thinner rear reenforcement look to date to pre 1987 weapons.
View Quote
The top one looks to be W339xxx. These are from the 2nd fielding of M4A1s to SOF in about 2000/2001, just before 9-11.

The oddball Colt "A2" lower in its various forms continued until the mid 2000s.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#34]
@Dex223 - Thanks for sharing the info about that unusual Bushmaster lower. That's strange - looks like an intermediate version between the "traditional" Cerro lower and the current one they're making. I recall finding a reference somewhere to a "Gen 2" Cerro lower that looked like the newer style but without the tension screw hole above the grip. The same seller referred to the current one with the tension screw hole as a "Gen 3" Cerro lower, if I remember correctly.

I'm still looking for someone who sells the Anchor Harvey 80% lower with the magwell lip finished in the thinner, more rounded style that all other lowers have. I haven't gotten around to asking Braceman or anyone else if they can reprofile the version that I have, but even if they can, it will probably be a lot of work (expensive), and it would be much easier and cleaner for me to start with one that has the magwell lip profiled correctly. Anchor Harvey 80% lowers seem to be really uncommon, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#35]
@3ACR_Scout

Please see my edited post above.  I believe the Bushmaster receiver is not a Cerro.  Then, possibly, the 80% Noreen is selling isn't either.

I think the seller with the "Gen 2" and "Gen 3" Cerros is doing just that...selling.  Lowers have been offered for several years now with threaded tension screws, as well as threaded bolt catch pivot holes, and threaded pivot pin detent areas.  Whoever is doing the machining on those lowers is using that to distinguish between them and the "regular" ones.

I'm starting to believe the lower you got from DTT might be a Cardinal forging.  They offer one similar to Anchor-Harvey.  Also, it could be an "A4" forging.  Compare it to the middle photo of FN receivers posted by USGI in this same thread.  They appear to have the same chunky mag well lip.

It is strange, that 80% A-H lowers are uncommon.  A lot of big producers have used that forging recently (i.e. Colt, Bushmaster, F.N.)
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I wanted to provide a quick update to this quest of mine. I sent the Anchor Harvey 80% lower pictured above to Braceman, who said he can reprofile the magwell lip to look more like a standard GI lower. He's going to have to do it by hand, but I'm sure it will look great, based on his other work. He's also going to remove the small raised tube-thing over the rear takedown detent/spring channel. I'll post photos of the modified lower when I get it back.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#37]
@3ACR_Scout

I am now able to post photos, so  here is what a Cardinal Forge lower looks like.

Notice the "lip" around the bottom of the mag well.  It looks like an Anchor Harvey, only a little different.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I've ordered 5D Tactical's 80% unfinished lower for use in cloning an FN A4. It seems to be the Anchor Harvey style as shown in your Delta Team Tactical 80% lower, also with slightly too large a magwell lip. It doesn't seem to have the horizontal tube on the right side, just the reinforced bossing which doesn't smoothly transition into the receiver itself (which seems to be an earlier feature if I understand correctly). Also when I checked Delta Team Tactical's website, the image they have of the 80% shows the horizontal tube.

Just for my clarification, there really are only 3 different lower forgings? An earlier Colt style with smooth transitions from the bossing into the receiver, a 2nd gen AH style one as described above, and then a 3rd gen one which has the horizontal tube? I'm a bit confused.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am now able to post photos, so  here is what a Cardinal Forge lower looks like.
https://i.imgur.com/8HjP5SR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LPs7arO.jpg

Notice the "lip" around the bottom of the mag well.  It looks like an Anchor Harvey, only a little different.
View Quote

@Dex223 That's interesting, apparently my late 2004 Bushmaster is a Cardinal forging - I hadn't looked closely at it and just thought it was the usual Cerro forging that's common now, but I don't think those showed up til a few years later. Are those still being made?

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Just for my clarification, there really are only 3 different lower forgings? An earlier Colt style with smooth transitions from the bossing into the receiver, a 2nd gen AH style one as described above, and then a 3rd gen one which has the horizontal tube? I'm a bit confused.
View Quote

I've been trying to figure that out myself. If we're talking just about M16A2 lowers, here are the variations that I've seen so far:

Colt / Balimony (this is the only Colt A2 forging I've found so far) - note the reinforcing "tube" over the rear takedown pin spring/detent channel that cuts through the tapered reinforcement around the receiver extension:

Attachment Attached File

Early/Mid FN (no reinforcing "tube" over the spring/detent channel) - this is the style I'm trying to clone:

Attachment Attached File

Late FN - I thought this was a Cerro M4-style forging, but Dex223's post above makes me this it could be a Cardinal forging. I didn't think Cerro's forgings were around earlier enough to be used on A2s:

Attachment Attached File

The pinned USGI M16A2 Lower Forgings and Variations Guide at the top of this subforum discusses some of the other variations in the forgings (like the magwell fence), but I haven't gotten beyond figuring out this rear reinforcement thing at this point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]
It seems FN also uses that "Colt" style forward-tapered-reinforcement forged lower for M16A4's. Pic below from a 2013 article on the South Carolina factory.
This contradicts my idea that the forging styles correspond to eras of M16's, since our previous evidence indicated the forward-tapered reinforcement was early. Also, FN's website shows the forward-tapered-reinforcement lower on their M16A4.

Only other forging style on FN A4's I've seen is the non-tapered, tube-fully-visible version you showed before, like this pic:

But my Aero A4 clone lower has the non-tapered, takedown pin detent spring tube only visible at the back forging style.

Thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to use a RBA forward-tapered-reinforcement lower for a Colt A2 clone, and one of the non-tapered 5D tactical lowers (tube visible or not? doesn't matter to me) for my FN A4 clone. Good luck on finding the intermediate style FN lower!
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It seems FN also uses that "Colt" style forward-tapered-reinforcement forged lower for M16A4's. Pic below from a 2013 article on the South Carolina factory.
This contradicts my idea that the forging styles correspond to eras of M16's, since our previous evidence indicated the forward-tapered reinforcement was early. Also, FN's website shows the forward-tapered-reinforcement lower on their M16A4.

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/P1290573-900x601.jpg

Only other forging style on FN A4's I've seen is the non-tapered, tube-fully-visible version you showed before, like this pic:

https://astirodysseus.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/5806701.jpg
But my Aero A4 clone lower has the non-tapered, takedown pin detent spring tube only visible at the back forging style.

Thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to use a RBA forward-tapered-reinforcement lower for a Colt A2 clone, and one of the non-tapered 5D tactical lowers (tube visible or not? doesn't matter to me) for my FN A4 clone. Good luck on finding the intermediate style FN lower!
View Quote

The first picture you show is not what the early Colt A2 lowers looked like. Those are much more stark in their taper whereas the older Colts were more blended in without much angular look. The pivot pin area was also a bit tighter radiused than the current type. Kind of an in between from the old A1 radius and the current big radius.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The first picture you show is not what the early Colt A2 lowers looked like. Those are much more stark in their taper whereas the older Colts were more blended in without much angular look. The pivot pin area was also a bit tighter radiused than the current type. Kind of an in between from the old A1 radius and the current big radius.
View Quote

Ah I see that now, thanks. I might try to have the reinforcement reprofiled to the more gradual taper then.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#43]
@3ACR_Scout

On your post above from 6/26/2020:

The first photo of the receiver extension area is from a Cerro forging receiver.

The fourth photo that you call a "Late FN" is also a Cerro forging.  The photo I posted of a Cardinal forging is most like an Anchor Harvey forging with a short spring tunnel at the rear of the receiver, which is not shown in that particular post.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ah I see that now, thanks. I might try to have the reinforcement reprofiled to the more gradual taper then.
View Quote

@mb44kar

You could probably get the taper to resemble that of the early Colt receiver extension,  but it wouldn't have the two "tunnel" sections for the takedown pin spring. (no material in the right places)
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@mb44kar

You could probably get the taper to resemble that of the early Colt receiver extension,  but it wouldn't have the two "tunnel" sections for the takedown pin spring. (no material in the right places)
View Quote

Unless I somehow find a 20% or 0% raw forging of one of these (since it seems there were never 80%'s of these), I think that's what I'm going to have to live with if I want to have it engraved and/or not pay a lot for an older (improperly marked) Colt lower.
Also for some reason in most of these threads and on pictures on the internet, the right side of the lower is shown less than the left side, so I'm less used to seeing those tunnel sections on the right than I am the plain taper that is on the left side.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@3ACR_Scout

The first photo of the receiver extension area is from a Cerro forging receiver.

The fourth photo that you call a "Late FN" is also a Cerro forging.  The photo I posted of a Cardinal forging is most like an Anchor Harvey forging with a short spring tunnel at the rear of the receiver, which is not shown in that particular post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@3ACR_Scout

@Dex223 The two forgings are slightly different. The first photo of the Bushmaster lower forging has the raised spring tube located slightly above the bottom of the tapered collar around the receiver extension. You can see how the taper extends down below the tube to meet the flat face of the receiver. It looks to me like the raw Cardinal forging you posted has the same raised tube across the face of the tapered collar. On the more familiar Cerro forging that was used for years and only recently replaced by the one with the angled collar, the tube is at the bottom of the tapered collar, which does not extend below the raised tube. Are you saying that they are both Cerro forgings, which would make the style on my Bushmaster lower an earlier version? Here's a photo for comparison:

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/P1290573-900x601.jpg

That's the style of tapered reinforcement used on all of FN's M4A1s that I've seen photos of. I posted a photo of one of their M4A1s above, and you can see the collar (partially cut off) on the left. That style of forging appears to match the current Cerro forging that I also posted above (here), except that the Cerro forging has a sharp point at the bottom of the magwell fence, instead of the normal rounded one seen on the FN lowers. I wish Cerro had stuck with the normal magwell fence, because that would have made those 80% lowers perfect for cloning later FN A4s and M4A1s.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@Dex223 The two forgings are slightly different. The first photo of the Bushmaster lower forging has the raised spring tube located slightly above the bottom of the tapered collar around the receiver extension. You can see how the taper extends down below the tube to meet the flat face of the receiver. It looks to me like the raw Cardinal forging you posted has the same raised tube across the face of the tapered collar. On the more familiar Cerro forging that was used for years and only recently replaced by the one with the angled collar, the tube is at the bottom of the tapered collar, which does not extend below the raised tube. Are you saying that they are both Cerro forgings, which would make the style on my Bushmaster lower an earlier version? Here's a photo for comparison:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Takedown_Detent_Tube_Comparison_jpg-1484989.JPG

That's the style of tapered reinforcement used on all of FN's M4A1s that I've seen photos of. I posted a photo of one of their M4A1s above, and you can see the collar (partially cut off) on the left. That style of forging appears to match the current Cerro forging that I also posted above (here), except that the Cerro forging has a sharp point at the bottom of the magwell fence, instead of the normal rounded one seen on the FN lowers. I wish Cerro had stuck with the normal magwell fence, because that would have made those 80% lowers perfect for cloning later FN A4s and M4A1s.
View Quote

3ACR_Scout
You are absolutely correct.  The Cardinal @forging is more like the older Cerro than it is the Anchor Harvey.  I hadn't noticed that the "tube" was one-piece and went across the reinforcing taper.  What do the "lips" on your Busmaster's magwell look like?  I guess that makes for another forging, although this one may have only been used on civilian ARs.
As for if it is still being made, I only recently discovered the Cardinal forging.  So, I am going to assume it is presently available.

Since I already have two 80% lowers of the new type Cerro, I'm going to try "rounding" the bottom of that point on the magwell fence of one to make it look a little more correct, even if slightly short.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top