Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 12:10:06 AM EDT
So after recently deciding to try out the new Damage Industries H6 buffer system on my other dedicated M16A2 clone, I decided I needed something to fill that void. Plus, I wanted to try to build this rifle completely by myself.  Considering that my other one I just put the lower together and then bought the complete upper off the EE, I decided it was time to throw my hat into the ring and install a barrel. So I started to browse the EE and put some ads up in the WTB section and this is what I've ended up with so far:
-FN marked A2 upper ($110 off EE)
-FN marked 20" barrel  ($200 off WTB ad and got some other things I needed as well from sale seller)
-Anderson Manufacturing lower ($65 at lgs)
-DPMS lpk ($45 at lgs)
-USGI handguards (already had)
-USGI buttstock & black silent sling ($30 off WTB ad)
-PSA Premium Auto BCG ($90 when on sale)
-CH already had
-Delta ring assy (free, because I completely forgot that I needed this until I went to put the barrel on. Thankfully a friend of a friend had one that he gave to me as an early Christmas present and so I could complete my build)

So I'm in it for a total of $540, a little more than I wanted to be (was hoping to stay below $500), but otherwise I'm happy. Still waiting on the dangburn BCG from PSA though, but granted I did order the week of Christmas.....  It feels good to say that I completely assembled this one.  As soon as that comes in and my headspace gauges, I'll be taking her out to the range to break her in right!!! Pics to prove it of course

</a>" />
</a>" />
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Lookin'  GOOD !!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!!!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking to build one just like it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good OP. Can't argue the prices either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good. I just test assembled another A2 clone. I used a Colt 20" govt profile barrel, an unknown brand A2 upper, mil-spec BCG from Fulton Armory, Range Tool 80% lower that I splurged and had engraved. Thanks Braceman. Only thing I am doing different is I am using an A1 "E" stock for the shorter LOP.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Good looking rifle, congrats!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]

crazysarge16, Nice looking A2 you built.  I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Doesn't it feel great to be able to say " I built this rifle completely by myself " !!!

Well that was your first complete build, what is your next one going to be?

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks good sarge but missing an item..............

you need a bayonet!!!!!!!!!!!  

CD
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!!!  
View Quote

Hahaa, yeah believe it or not that is what sold me on buying this stock from boywonder.  I had purchased my A1 stock set from him and it has some beautiful arms room markings on it. Being a former armorer (against my will, their justifications were since I was a tanker that was as close to armor I would get being in an infantry battalion; loved being in the battalion, hated being the armorer but thankfully my CO took pity on me and always took me out with him).  I love it, looks awesome
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks good OP. Can't argue the prices either.
View Quote

I was hoping to stay below $500 on this build but beggars can't be choosers. I'm happy with the build cost on this one, though after this one I am wanting to try to build another one for around $450. I'll really need to watch the EE to make it out that cheap!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

crazysarge16, Nice looking A2 you built.  I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Doesn't it feel great to be able to say " I built this rifle completely by myself " !!!

Well that was your first complete build, what is your next one going to be?

View Quote

Considering this one was my first complete build from scratch, I am completely happy with it. I was kind of nervous installing the barrel but actually went easier than I thought it would. Never got to pull one when I was in the Army, always had to send them off to get replaced but they would give me whatever parts I needed to fix a lower.  Just torqued it to 30lbs to get it on, then bumped up to 40lbs to adjust for the gas tube.  

I'm already working on my XM4/727 build, the lower is complete just debating on the barrel
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote

That is true, have yet to get a bayonet for this one.  I tried multiple times to steal a bayonet when I was the armorer, but somewhere along the line took count of exactly how many we had....mainly because apparently during my unit's first deployment to Iraq they issued them to everyone.  But alot of guys loved them, and once they found out they were only going to get charged like $50 by supply if it went missing, alot went missing. I know this because my section sergeant was one of the ones who has his original issue one and his charge statement for $50.  I'm still looking for one, but isn't a high priority for me right now. Once I have my XM4/727 build complete then maybe I'll get serious about wanting one
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Here's a kink for the Ontario Knife Store, and the new ($72.22)  M-7 Bayonet with Plastic Scabbard;

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/ontario-494-m7-bayonet-and-scabbard/

There is a less expensive version ($57.46) Ontario M-7 Bayonet & Scabbard here (the Handle material is different);

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/m7-b-bayonet-and-scabbard-standard-m7-scabbard/

The Ontario M-9 Bayonet's will cost more, starting over the $100 mark.  But at the Ontario Knife Store, you can find what your looking for, and order it yourself.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks, I'll have to get one once my other builds are complete! already saved that page!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice build OP and for $540, you essentially built an FN A2 clone that's going to be a great shooter.  Let us know how she shoots!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice build OP and for $540, you essentially built an FN A2 clone that's going to be a great shooter.  Let us know how she shoots!
View Quote

Will do,  Was going to try to get out today, but mother nature had plans of her own.  It has been pouring rain all day.  So I've just sit inside, watching Black Hawk Down, and then cleaning up my XM4 build
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a link to a used M7 at Apex:  https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/49_172/products_id/3798

Has anyone ordered one of these? Can anyone give any feedback?

ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I've picked up a couple M7s at gun shows for around $40.
Used but serviceable. Check them over.

Nice rifle. The classics are always the best.
I put my govt 20 on an A1 upper. Fond memories of basic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish I could luck out and find something good like that at my local gun shows instead of jerky and knives.   Funny thing is, I always was issued an M4 throughout my 3 years spent with Uncle Sam.  Wasn't until I deployed that I actually got to put hands on an USGI M16A2, and I was immediately hooked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
cool beans, nice build
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Knife center is kind of expensive & Apex sometimes rips you off in shipping - Maybe get this instead:

New manufactured M7 bayonet Ontario
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Knife center is kind of expensive & Apex sometimes rips you off in shipping - Maybe get this instead:

New manufactured M7 bayonet Ontario
View Quote

So it appears Walmart sells genuine Ontario M7 model 494 bayonets...for a pretty good price.  I may have to order one just to check it out.  Perhaps it shouldn't be too surprising, they also sell Colt AR's.

Edit:  Out of stock though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a seemingly endless supply of barely used surplus M7 bayonets on the market, not much reason to buy a commercial version.  Average price for a run of the mill M7 w/scabbard seems to be about $40 + shipping.  There are tons of them on Ebay at any given time, and with a few exceptions they don't cost much.  I haven't purchased from Apex, but what they show and describe is a run of the mill M7 bayonet with an imported Eichorn M8A1 scabbard.  If you just want a functional bayonet, they're fine, but if you're after legit US mil surplus you might not be happy with the Eichorn scabbard.  The Eichorns are made in Germany, molded plastic, no steel reinforced tip.  The last couple M7s I bought came with what appear to be US surplus M8A1 scabbards that have been refurbished with new hardware and canvas.  The vendor's website photos showed vintage US surplus scabbards, the point is that you can't really trust most of the surplus outlets to send you what they advertised.  It's mostly luck of the draw.  With Ebay or the EE here at least you can probably see the actual item you're buying.  Just watch out on Ebay, there are a lot of fakes, reproductions, commercial knock offs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote

I was thinking M203.

But yes, nice looking rifle. How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was thinking M203.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

I was thinking M203.

I was thinking he needs to take a pic with the charging handle installed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Haven't got to the range yet, just got my bcg in from PSA finally. Couple that with crap weather and  my work schedule the past few weeks, I just haven't had the opportunity. The one nice day I tried to sneak away is when the fiance wanted to go out and do stuff. Ended up looking at wedding venues. You know  what's worse than looking at wedding venues? Looking at wedding venues, being bored out your mind, and hearing some lucky guy down the road blasting away. That and the fact my phone was dead from playing  angry birds and reading stuff on here. I'll try to post a range report and some pics of the CH and  bcg installed. If only I could pry myself away from my XM4/727 builds
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is a seemingly endless supply of barely used surplus M7 bayonets on the market, not much reason to buy a commercial version.  Average price for a run of the mill M7 w/scabbard seems to be about $40 + shipping.  There are tons of them on Ebay at any given time, and with a few exceptions they don't cost much.  I haven't purchased from Apex, but what they show and describe is a run of the mill M7 bayonet with an imported Eichorn M8A1 scabbard.  If you just want a functional bayonet, they're fine, but if you're after legit US mil surplus you might not be happy with the Eichorn scabbard.  The Eichorns are made in Germany, molded plastic, no steel reinforced tip.  The last couple M7s I bought came with what appear to be US surplus M8A1 scabbards that have been refurbished with new hardware and canvas.  The vendor's website photos showed vintage US surplus scabbards, the point is that you can't really trust most of the surplus outlets to send you what they advertised.  It's mostly luck of the draw.  With Ebay or the EE here at least you can probably see the actual item you're buying.  Just watch out on Ebay, there are a lot of fakes, reproductions, commercial knock offs, etc.
View Quote

Thanks for the info, I'm looking to buy one once I get done with my two XM4/727 clone  builds
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The government profile A2 is one of the prettiest rifles of the AR15. Good Job!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks, waiting for payday so I can get my field gauges so i can start blasting. Would hate to spend all thus money and have improper headspace
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top