Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:58:41 AM EDT
Where do I look to determine which barrel I have?
.750 or .936?
I'm looking at the CCMG Pin-On piston kit.  I'm not sure which type of barrel I have.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Those numbers correlate to the diameter of the gas block shoulder on the barrel.  You can use a dial caliper to measure it or just post a picture.  99% of the people on this forum should be able to identify if it's .750" or .963" just by looking at it.  Also, you're gunsmith should know which one to get considering you're getting the pin-on system which requires precise machining into the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight.  If its diameter then I'm guessing it's .750

I don't know of any gunsmiths, so I guess I'll go with the clamp on version, or start looking for a gunsmith because the clamp on does not offer any railing on the bottom like the pin-on system does...

Here's a picture.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t300/Gallep/AR.jpg?t=1325638100
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Mounting stuff on the gas block add's weight to the barrel and lessen's the free floating of it, not that you have a free floating handguard to begin with.  I'd change your handguard out to a magpul MOE for an additional $30.  You can mount the bipod or pistol grip on that to help preserve your guns accuracy.  Also allows you to mount a light up front too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight.  If its diameter then I'm guessing it's .750

I don't know of any gunsmiths, so I guess I'll go with the clamp on version, or start looking for a gunsmith because the clamp on does not offer any railing on the bottom like the pin-on system does...

Here's a picture.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t300/Gallep/AR.jpg?t=1325638100

Gallep,
from the looks of it you have a lightweight profile barrel and the size may be .625.  verify before you buy.

fatkid

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely less than .75. Which is cool, you just need to find out for sure and shop accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you guys for the info, I really appreciate it.  I’ll be getting a caliper on the barrel to confirm, and start looking into other hand guards and different piston kits.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Osprey system doesn't dick with the front sight tower or gas block.  This part is not designed to be removed.

With the Osprey you remove the gas tube and insert the piston.  Put your bolt in the pistol bolt carrier.  Done.  Pretty simple.

–– Chuck

Right on!  I was wondering myself that the CCMG kit was kind of invasive.  Thank you for the heads up on Osprey.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Osprey system doesn't dick with the front sight tower or gas block.  This part is not designed to be removed.

With the Osprey you remove the gas tube and insert the piston.  Put your bolt in the pistol bolt carrier.  Done.  Pretty simple.

–– Chuck

Right on!  I was wondering myself that the CCMG kit was kind of invasive.  Thank you for the heads up on Osprey.

+1 on Osprey, the only con it has is the limited handguard compatibility, but if you are using moe or standard hg you won't have any problem
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top