Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 4:26:19 AM EDT
How hard is it to convert my gas ar to a piston, i see the kits for sale and could anyone reccomend a kit for me
thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
scottchismar,

depending on your current setup and which kit you choose, can be very easy to moderately easy.  you will need a few tools and some basic AR assembly knowledge, the knowledge is on this board and the rest of the net.

let me know what you are thinking and ill talk you thru it.

fatkid
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a s&w mp15 carbine in 5.56, the only tool i dont have is that block for removing the gas block wich i'm not 100% that i need it. is there a certian kit you would reccomend?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Adams Arms or Osprey. I hear people gush about the AA stuff.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i have a s&w mp15 carbine in 5.56, the only tool i dont have is that block for removing the gas block wich i'm not 100% that i need it. is there a certian kit you would reccomend?

That block isn't necessary.  It's helpful if you have one but you can use the wooden handle of an extra hammer or something similar.  I will tell you that it is a PITA knocking those pins out of that gas block though.  Also, a good tool to have is an upper receiver block or vise.  Makes the task of lining up the new block a lot easier IMO.  I also used a small liquid level.

I went with the Adams Arms kit.  No regrets what so ever with that decision.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking forward to it. I have a few ar's and thinking i'll be converting a few of them to piston, I'm sure the pins will be a fun task but i think it will be worth it
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I was going to put my toes in the water the Osprey kit looks like it takes at most 15 minutes to covert with most of that time spent getting the handguards off and back on!  

Remove the handguards; knock out the roll pin and remove the gas tube; insert the piston parts and reinsert the roll pin; replace the handguards.  Swap the bolt carrier.

I jumped in with a pair of LWRC carbines so have not tried the Osprey.

–– Chuck

+1. I love Osprey and AA, both are for different applications. I like osrepy on non-freefloat barrels and AA on free-float ones.
Also on osprey is a PITA to put the pin on the Gas Block, but one it's in, it's rock solid.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for AA
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The gas tube pin is a roll pin. The osprey one is a solid steel pin. I bend one trying to put it in. Thanks goodness osprey kit comes with 2 pins, The second pin I started from the left side instead, and had to hammer it really hard. TripleBravo did a review here, but since the osprey forum went away you can't find it anymore
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2287-Osprey-Defense-OPS-416-piston-retrofit-kit
He used 2 kits, the old one and the new one. I have the new one, and works like a clock. As always I recomend my friend an Osprey Kit for non-freefloat barrels, and AA for freefloat ones
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As always I recomend my friend an Osprey Kit for non-freefloat barrels, and AA for freefloat ones

why? it seems to me that the Osprey kit would be better since it's a lower profile.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
why? it seems to me that the Osprey kit would be better since it's a lower profile.

2 Resons:

1st: Handguard Option: With Osprey you pretty much got only Spike's BAR and MI freefloat handguard, and that's ALL YOU GOT! With AA you got a lot more, including DD handguards
2nd: Cleaning: With Osprey you have to remove the handguard to clean the piston, not a big deal with drop-in handguard, but with freefloat handguards it's another thing. With AA you remove the piston from the front, so it's not a big deal with freefloat handguard.
As you said, osprey is low profile, and I love that because it allows you to have a safe Kino or Dissapator  configuration.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top