Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2010 12:52:37 PM EDT
Today I went to the range to work up a new load using the Nosler Custom Competition 69gn along with Re15 based off the charts Nosler posts on their website.  It was not ideal conditions to be working up a load outside but decided to go anyway.  After firing my 50 worked up loads I was not that happy with the results.  Came home and disassembled the rifle and started cleaning.  After running two wads though the barrel I started to notice shinny flakes on the dirty wad.  I looked up inside the barrel and you can see about 1/3 down the barrel from the end what appears to be parts of the barrel with missing finish.  Its the weekend so LMT is closed.  But has anyone herd of this before with LMT's barrels?  

Sorry for the shitty Cell phone picture, I used a flashlight to get the flakes to shine on the wad.  There are a total of about 10 flakes, some larger than others.  Down the barrel it looks like its happening in several locations around the same area.  

I know LMT will make right, but what a shitty feeling!

BTW round count for this barrel and gun is close to 1000 rounds.

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You may be experiencing the same thing I did.  About 4 to 5 inches from the front of the barrel it looked like there was pitting or the chrome had started to come off.  It was about a 2 inch long spot where I could no longer see the shine from the chrome.  I sent it back and they had no idea how it could have been pitted so badly, but I got a new barrel very quickly.  They will take care of you so no worries there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You may be experiencing the same thing I did.  About 4 to 5 inches from the front of the barrel it looked like there was pitting or the chrome had started to come off.  It was about a 2 inch long spot where I could no longer see the shine from the chrome.  I sent it back and they had no idea how it could have been pitted so badly, but I got a new barrel very quickly.  They will take care of you so no worries there.

That's exactly what mine is doing.  Just not that bad yet...

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I think "steve-oh" had the same problem...interesting.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
This happened to my MRP within the first 200 rounds.  Since I have recieved the new barrel I have only put abpout 50 rounds through it, no problems yet. However I do plan on shooting quite a bit over thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Bigtex, how long ago did you get your MRP?  Mine was just after the 2008 elections.  I got it Christmas eve...

I noticed my groups starting to spread out even when shooting my pet loads.  I was able to achieve sub-moa but today my best was 1 moa, with several goupings pushing 2+.  I was not pleased with my performance but might have solved part of the issue.  

Ill report back tomorrow after talking to LMT.  Im a bit bummed though, The entire family is gathering up for Thanksgiving before my brother leaves for his first tour in A-Stan. We had a hunt planned Thanksgiving and this is the rifle I was flying up with.   Such is life!
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]
well I contacted Gene today at LMT.  I told him my issue and told him I posted the problem on AR15.com.  He can remember 1 other that this was a problem with.  He thinks it was during the process with the chrome.  A rod is inserted inside the barrel during the process.  He thinks the rod might have hit the barrel during the process causing this problem.  

I got a RMA number and it will be going back after Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#7]
gene will get you taken care of. sorry you had to go through this. isht happens, unfortunately...
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#8]
updates?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have yet to ship it back to LMT.  I have been on the road and have not had time to get it out. Ill do my best to get it out when I return home next week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting phenomenon. "Brand apologists".

Anyway, is that a piece of chrome plating in the first picture?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#11]
According to the web site, the barrel is supposed to be cryogenically treated as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting phenomenon. "Brand apologists".

Anyway, is that a piece of chrome plating in the first picture?

yes, there are a few flakes that came out.  

Gene said that he was aware of 1 other person with the same issue.  Said that when they do the chrome lining, its done by running a thin metal wire that is ran through the barrel during plating.  For some reason the wire touched the barrel during this process causing this issue.  It happens and Im sure LMT will make good.  Ill be sending it out this coming week when I return home.  Ill update as soon as I hear something new.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Well update:

I got a call from Gene from LMT today and they are sending out a new barrel.  Said they ran a bore scope up the barrel and saw some internal damage.  Most likely caused during the chroming process.  Though my rifle has been down, I must say I am happy that LMT stands behind their product.  

Thank you LMT!

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
My new barrel came in today!  Gene and LMT have been great with their warranty process.  

Thank you,
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My new barrel came in today!  Gene and LMT have been great with their warranty process.  

Thank you,

Awesome news
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top