Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 5:08:16 PM EDT
Finally took the POF out today for the first time.

Ran about 6 - 30rd mags of .223 Fiocci ammo, and then 6 more of Federal 5.56 ammo.........No probs at all.  Mags were various brands....steel, alluminum and polymer.

It's a 11 1/2" SBR, (my first AR SBR), Man !! the concusion that thing puts out ...........Me and the Bro were shooting targets at the same time at about 6ft apart, and he was having a tough time dealing with the muzzle blast from my POF.

Anyways, I risked it.......I ran the POF with NO lube just to see. (they claim you can do that?) So I tore it down on the tailgate of my truck, after almost 400rds............clean as a whistle......no funny gouges or scrapes.......perfect !. The only grime I saw was in the chamber, but not much................buffertube seemed fine, no odd grooves or smears.  I will lightly lube from now on, just to be safe.

The reason I wrote this, is because if you go to the POF forum, you'd think POF's have lot of problems from a few of the on-going threads. (even I was starting to get scared)......But mine works flawless, so I'm stoked !!

yeah, I just knocked on wood..............wanna stay stoked !!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, I appreciate your post! I ordered a POF on Gunbroker last Monday after doing only a very little bit of research. The little bit of Google searching I did do turned up a couple glowing reviews. I'm also of the mindset that since the AR-15 is pretty much a standard, proven design there shouldn't be very much variation between reputable manufacturers. But the stuff on the POF forum was starting to get me scared as well.

My POF will come in tomorrow and I plan to go shoot it Tuesday (unless the weather truly sucks). If everything goes well I plan to shoot at least 100 but maybe as many as 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Enjoy your POF. I changed to a Vortex FS and found my 415 more pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a P-308....no problems here either.  I tend to think their forum here is not very representative of their overall quality.

Sean
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my POF 415.  It runs way cleaner than my other AR's and eats every round I put thru it.  I'm sold out to piston AR's.
s
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got back from shooting my new P-415! Shot 160 rounds total, 100 suppressed. I had one light strike, put the bullet back in and it fired the second time around. Other than that I didn't have any issues. I even did some suppressed bump firing (the first time I've ever done it). I'm very happy with the performance so far!

Some observations...
Mine didn't come with the ambidextrous magazine release hardware, it has the normal mag release parts. I'll probably call up POF about that to see if they'll send me replacement parts. It does have the ambi safety and ambi bolt release though.
It does not have the roller cam pin, it has a normal looking cam pin. I get the impression the roller cam pin hasn't actually been released, so that's not a big surprise.
There is some distinct wear where the cam pin has rubbed against the upper. I'm inclined to just "live with it" unless it gets real bad.
The lock-nut on the end of the barrel (the "collar jam nut" as they call it) is very handy!
The grip is too big for me, I think I would prefer a smooth plastic handle.
Mine came with a Tapco polymer mag, the person I bought it from said it would come with a C-Products mag. I'm not complaining, I'd probably prefer the Tapco, I'm just curious if I got a mixup or something.
So far I do not seem to have any evidence of carrier tilt.

I don't have much experience with ARs, but just so this list isn't mostly small negatives let me add some positives...
The rest of the gun seemed to work just as it is suppose to, as far as I know.
Asside from that single light strike the trigger seemed to be great (it looks like I got one with a Timney trigger).
The barrel is real nice looking, it appears to be high quality.
I haven't done anything but the initial cleaning yet (like I said, I just got back, my suppressor is still too hot to hold) but it appears the NP3 coating really is teflon-like (slippery, easy to clean, etc.).
Although the barrel and suppressor got very hot, as far as I noticed the rails stayed cool.
I cannot comment on accuracy at the moment. I consider myself a decent shot, but I'm not great. During this trip I didn't even take the time to adjust my Eotech from my previous gun (an FS2000).

I intended to take some pictures, but when starting to record a video of the very first magazine the camera informed us that I had forgotten the memory card at home. :( I took some video with my phone, but for various reasons I don't want to post them. I'll see if I can get some decent screen captures out of them though.

[later]
http://www.fantasgreat.com/forums/ar15/5shells.png
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top