Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2021 8:22:16 PM EDT

Okay, tear me a new one if you must, but what should I change to make it more gunsmith readable?

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to call out that the 4-40 Dutch lock is to be performed after assembly. The thumb tab is missing on the top view. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might want to call out that the 4-40 Dutch lock is to be performed after assembly. The thumb tab is missing on the top view. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.
View Quote
I got chewed out by several folks on other sites, saying I was both doing overkill and not enough detail. Consider me officially confused.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Your right side view for the ambi safety arm needs a thickness dimension for the arm. And you should specify what material you want it made from. If it’s nothing specific just state “mild steel” , if you’re thinking steel.

Other than that, as a machinist, I could make that part if you added the info I mentioned.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, damn, now I want one for my bone-stock Norinco 1911A1.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
American gun part on a Chinese gun? Blasphemy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
As a machinist I see no tolerances on any of the dimensions. The dimensions also go out to a four place decimal. Generally holding things out to tenths is going to cost more money. I would no bid this or give some crazy high number because everything on this is being held extremely tight. I recommend picking and choosing what is critical and what can be held more open without causing function issues.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owned by a Native American, no less!!

Get the pitchforks and torches, I’ll be awaiting the lynch mob with punch & cookies.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Revised, due to input.

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The general rule for tolerancing is +-.005” for machined parts unless there is a specific reason to be tighter. A lot of times on something like this, they’re even a lot looser. Keep in mind that tight tolerances = more cost to make. You can very easily turn a $50 part into $500 by adding unnecessarily tight tolerances.

Really for this part the only things that really need to be close is the diameter of the hole and the shaft diameters. That’s because obviously those features have to actually fit something. Everything else is mostly aesthetics. So you could really get away with +-.010” or even .020” on the other dims without hurting anything.

Not trying to pick you apart or anything. Just trying to be helpful. .
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top