Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2020 12:28:04 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I was cleaning up some stuff and found a Aimpoint 2000 that I forgot about for at least 20 years. Worked when I put it away, but now the wires have separated from the inside. I've done some research and found that the usual problem is the wires disconnect from the battery side, not from inside the scope.

My question is, is there a way to take the scope apart and get in and repair the wires? Fixing the wires would be no problem if I could get inside. I would hate to throw this away as it once belong to my father, I think he bought it when I was 3 years old lol

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I have nothing to add to help, I just wanted to say I've got an Aimpoint 2000 in silver that I bought new back in about 1986 for my AMT automag.  I still have it and the rings.  Need to find a battery for it and see if it still works.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:
Sorry, I have nothing to add to help, I just wanted to say I've got an Aimpoint 2000 in silver that I bought new back in about 1986 for my AMT automag.  I still have it and the rings.  Need to find a battery for it and see if it still works.

View Quote

Nice! I have the silver one too. The batteries where challenging to find, I only have the tall batter cap so I went with the LR50 batteries. Sure hope I can fix my scope. It still looks brand new.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried contacting aimpoint? It’s an older optic but you never know.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
That is what I'm going to do it no one has any idea here. I was searching on their website, looking for a place to ask the question, then I figured I'd just get some computer generated we're sorry but your optic is too old lol. So I thought I'd post here 1st.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one too and talked with their service department; they implored me never to use CR123a batteries due to the vent holes and pulling the wires off.  

I don't believe they'll service them as they have no parts or support for them and they generally like to return things better than they got them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
I have one too and talked with their service department; they implored me never to use CR123a batteries due to the vent holes and pulling the wires off.  

I don't believe they'll service them as they have no parts or support for them and they generally like to return things better than they got them.
View Quote

Lol well thats good to know, I bet I ripped the wires out when I first found it the other day. I had a CR123 battery and it looked to be the perfect size so I tried to fit it, it was so close I kept trying and kept trying lol. Come to find out I needed LR50 and 2 of them

I don't want Aimpont to service it, I'd like to do it myself, or at least give it a shot. As long as I can figure out how it comes apart.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve replaced the grayhill rotary switch in my aimpoint 3000 with success.   There is basically one wire feeding the switch and every setting has it’s own small resistor.  It’s a delicate solder job to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By chrisnbig:

Lol well thats good to know, I bet I ripped the wires out when I first found it the other day. I had a CR123 battery and it looked to be the perfect size so I tried to fit it, it was so close I kept trying and kept trying lol. Come to find out I needed LR50 and 2 of them 

I don't want Aimpont to service it, I'd like to do it myself, or at least give it a shot. As long as I can figure out how it comes apart.
View Quote

Luckily, I was able to remove the CR123A in mine (got it secondhand) and put the pair of LR50's in there and confirmed it worked.  The other bit of advice from them; don't leave the batteries in there, if they corrode, it's kaput.

The Aimpoint 2000 was the first red dot used in a combat operation per the guy I talked to at Aimpoint (John E)
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rampantcolt85:
I’ve replaced the grayhill rotary switch in my aimpoint 3000 with success.   There is basically one wire feeding the switch and every setting has it’s own small resistor.  It’s a delicate solder job to say the least.
View Quote

Nice, how far did you have to disassemble the scope to fix it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:

Luckily, I was able to remove the CR123A in mine (got it secondhand) and put the pair of LR50's in there and confirmed it worked.  The other bit of advice from them; don't leave the batteries in there, if they corrode, it's kaput.

The Aimpoint 2000 was the first red dot used in a combat operation per the guy I talked to at Aimpoint (John E)
View Quote

I've been waiting for almost a week now since I asked Aimpoint for help. I'm staying optimistic that they're going to respond. The battery compartment was the first thing I checked, and it was stored with no battery inside, and is pretty darn clean inside. The only problem is the 2 wires other wise this thing looks brand new for being almost as old as me lol
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top