Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/13/2017 8:08:23 PM EDT
For those who haven't seen, I recently discovered and worked with Brownells regarding their retro line of barrels (specifically the 20" A1 1/12") having a "relief cut" in the threading. The relief cut is meant to accommodate modern suppressors yet does not accommodate an era correct split washer...or any other washer for that matter. Brownells was not aware of and gave no permission  for Ballistic Advantage to make such changes. Due to the recess after the muzzle device threading, the washer would eventually slip into said recess when tightened down. The washer may even pop off the flange due to lack of shoulder support. This thread serves as a notification for anyone who has purchased ANY barrel off Brownells retro line. I will post pictures later to give anyone an idea but the recess will be very obvious. Applying a washer and muzzle device is possible yet unnecessarily difficult to do. Again, Brownells is now aware of this issue and did not specify such changes. Retro on....
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I was surprised to see the other thread disappear....

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You should post pictures as an instant indicator for what to look for.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah wtf happened to that one, I just came on to post in it again. Brownells is OOS on the correct barrel so now I get to freaking wait until February, maybe, according to customer service to get the correct retro barrel. This is why we can’t have nice things because people decide to screw up a good thing. Thanks @BallisticAdvantage for fucking up my barrel and now I don’t have one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You should post pictures as an instant indicator for what to look for.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

This undercut will not allow you to install a split or crush washer like every other barrel normally accepts, behind a flash hider/muzzle device.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/253119/D91AE3AA-0299-4F20-A057-18C739F355D2-390406.JPG

This undercut will not allow you to install a split or crush washer like every other barrel normally accepts, behind a flash hider/muzzle device.
View Quote
This.

And yeah, no clue where the other thread went. But I wanted to keep this I formation going and current.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]

As you guys can see, the washer does not fit without proper support. Therefore it slides around and in some pictures, the edge of the washer can be seen overlapping the barrel flange. This is using a GI spec/era correct lock washer. It may be hard to see but I assure you, the washer is on the verge of popping off should it be tightened down by a muzzle device.

And as stated, Brownells is aware of the issue. If you have a barrel with similar thread work, please contact them with pictures attached and this thread noted. They are well aware by now and should be prepared to get things resolved. After going through some various phone calls and emails, I was able to work things out. I did receive two improper barrels at first but alas the third barrel was good to go. @brownells, those two barrels are enroute back!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
As it should look....

FSB for the hell of it...

Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe time to call brownells and ask for a deal on some blem 20" barrels for a not-so-correct build
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe time to call brownells and ask for a deal on some blem 20" barrels for a not-so-correct build
View Quote
I mean if they sell them for like $175...I'd say that's a deal lol.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
awwwee sheeit looks like I got one on my 14.7. I wanted J Thomas to weld my muzzie dev on but I don't think it'll look right without the correct washer. Fuck me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
awwwee sheeit looks like I got one on my 14.7. I wanted J Thomas to weld my muzzie dev on but I don't think it'll look right without the correct washer. Fuck me.
View Quote
If you’re sending it to JT anyway, he can probably make it work...
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems like Brownells, or another enterprising person, could locate a washer from McMaster Carr or Fastenal, that would look the part.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
John Thomas, can you make one of these barrels look the part with a pinned and welded FH?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This,  that guys got magic in his fingers. Contact him and ask.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty strange.... am I right admin's!

You can find the cashed page here if anyone wants to read it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Brownells-M16A1-20-Retro-Barrel-Issue/123-721073/?page=1
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was getting ready to pull the trigger myself on a 14.7" until I read this thread. Now the shorter barrels too? Let us know outcome. Thx.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Is there a reason you couldn’t hold the washer in place and thread the flash hider down?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is there a reason you couldn’t hold the washer in place and thread the flash hider down?
View Quote
I was able to but as I tightened the washer down, the washer grabbed the muzzle device and would fall off center (non-concentric). It would then be under so much pressure that pushing it back in place would either be too difficult or......the washer had popped off the flange prior to.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was able to but as I tightened the washer down, the washer grabbed the muzzle device and would fall off center (non-concentric). It would then be under so much pressure that pushing it back in place would either be too difficult or......the washer had popped off the flange prior to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That makes sense, I can see how these threads would be an improvement for modern rifles, but for this application they don’t seem to be a good idea.

I can’t imagine anyone would have foreseen this issue seeing as split washers have been out of use for decades. Even if they tested one, it likely would have been a reproduction, and different than originals.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bet it was because of the poster that was defending the suppressor cut.  Started to read like GD.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Off the rails and off the forum with the previous thread.

Pissing contests generally end the same here.
View Quote
Which is why I ONLY hang out in Retro World!

SO much less drama in here! EVERY other forum on the web is sheet. (Except T_D)
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Off the rails and off the forum with the previous thread.

Pissing contests generally end the same here.
View Quote
Actually that one, I didn't really see as being all that bad, strong difference in opinions does not always equate a pissing match.

But at this time, it is a moot point, the OP has received the correct barrel for what he is trying to accomplish, so all is good with him now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it's interesting that thread is gone, typically I just see them get locked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
The Brownells drawings for the threads disappeared with that too.  Was wondering if a flattened solid copper wire would have fit in the slot.  Wouldn't have to be 100% of the circumference, leave the gap on the other side of the split in the lock washer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Brownells drawings for the threads disappeared with that too.  Was wondering if a flattened solid copper wire would have fit in the slot.  Wouldn't have to be 100% of the circumference, leave the gap on the other side of the split in the lock washer.
View Quote
A high-temp O-ring might also work.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Funny.

I pondered this a few days ago.

3 small TiG spot welds spaced 120 degrees apart in the groove was my "fix " to align the split washer.  Im sure it would work.
View Quote
Hey Tig, if you were to do some thing like that, would the finish need to be cleaned off in those area?  I don't do a lot of welding and it is normally stick on plain steel plate, so I don't really know.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I think it might be easier to contact Brownells guys! Haha.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I can't remember who posted those drawings either. Maybe @brownells could post the correct retro barrel drawings?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

John Thomas, can you make one of these barrels look the part with a pinned and welded FH?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote
I think the 14.7 I sent to you had the recess, its hard to tell now that the FH has been pinned
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah I can't remember who posted those drawings either. Maybe @brownells could post the correct retro barrel drawings?
View Quote
edit  - Oops, I didn't realize you were looking for the correct thread specs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

edit  - Oops, I didn't realize you were looking for the correct thread specs.
View Quote
I'm looking to see if they can post the specs they sumbitted to BA versus the Silencerco sheet that was posted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I purchased my barrel pack in september. I used a crush washer behind my a1 flash hider and had no issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I posted in the EE but I figured I might try my luck here in the regular forums as well...

I’m looking for a Nodak Spud receiver set anodized in the correct grey or a complete rifle... I would be super stoked if it has already been engraved with the retro Colt markings and even more excited if you have a complete rifle with 1/7 barrel.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#39]
This is only hand tightened, but it looks like mine isn’t going to have that problem. The washer I purchased is from Fulton Armory and apprears to be designed differently than the ones pictured in posts above. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I purchased my barrel pack in september. I used a crush washer behind my a1 flash hider and had no issues with it.
View Quote
Did you have the recess as pictured above? I'm guessing you got the original batch barrel.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is only hand tightened, but it looks like mine isn’t going to have that problem. The washer I purchased is from Fulton Armory and apprears to be designed differently than the ones pictured in posts above. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241013/750A6ADA-BB19-48C8-9505-36C51862FEFC-391645.JPG
View Quote
Do you have a relief cut/recess after your barrel threads?

Edit: The Fulton washer is slightly thicker and might have a tighter inside diameter compared to stock GI.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Do you have a relief cut/recess after your barrel threads?

Edit: The Fulton washer is slightly thicker and might have a tighter inside diameter compared to stock GI.
View Quote
My barrel does have the relief cut. And yes, it appears the Fulton washer is thicker.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
you are correct JT could do it, but why can you not return the barrel to brownells?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My barrel does have the relief cut. And yes, it appears the Fulton washer is thicker.
View Quote
The Fulton washer is to thick to drop into the recess
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I posted in the EE but I figured I might try my luck here in the regular forums as well...

I’m looking for a Nodak Spud receiver set anodized in the correct grey or a complete rifle... I would be super stoked if it has already been engraved with the retro Colt markings and even more excited if you have a complete rifle with 1/7 barrel.  Thanks!
View Quote
Not my ad or know who it is but there's an engraved one on GB for $2,750 bin price
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not my ad or know who it is but there's an engraved one on GB for $2,750 bin price
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a typo?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly... A little steep if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems like any easy fix then it would seem.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn’t be correct, if you aren’t going correct you may as well use a crush washer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It wouldn’t be correct, if you aren’t going correct you may as well use a crush washer.
View Quote
The barrel itself isn’t “correct” to begin with, it’s a repro. I don’t see a problem with using a repro washer with a repro barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top