Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2017 1:01:15 AM EDT
Did anyone here buy (or sell) this crushed H&R rifle section?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683590894

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/683590894

If so, I think we can learn a few things from it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
No, No and No again...Geeze......

There is really nothing there to salvage on that....People must be getting desperate...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, No and No again...Geeze......

There is really nothing there to salvage on that....People must be getting desperate...
View Quote
What?

I didn't buy it but I see a dimpled takedown pin, rear sight, and selector that can all be salvaged.

I wouldn't have bought it but when you add up the cost of those parts it's not bad I guess.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What?

I didn't buy it but I see a dimpled takedown pin, rear sight, and selector that can all be salvaged.

I wouldn't have bought it but when you add up the cost of those parts it's not bad I guess.
View Quote
Really?  I can make a dimpled takedown pin, rear sights are not really all that expensive and I can do selectors as well.  There is not $79 dollars there, that one was really demilled...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Really?  I can make a dimpled takedown pin, rear sights are not really all that expensive and I can do selectors as well.  There is not $79 dollars there, that one was really demilled...
View Quote
Ofcourse someone will pay that money for a real take down pin. I don't even know if the forward assist was saved. Atleast it comes with the take down pin spring...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ofcourse someone will pay that money for a real take down pin. I don't even know if the forward assist was saved. Atleast it comes with the take down pin spring...
View Quote
As I said, people must be getting desperate....  There are times when our habit crosses over into obsession...

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...There are times when our habit crosses over into obsession...
View Quote
Are you implying that sometimes our retro hobby operates outside of the realm of obsession? How dare you...

That's what makes it RBRD!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you implying that sometimes our retro hobby operates outside of the realm of obsession? How dare you...

That's what makes it RBRD!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did anyone here buy (or sell) this crushed H&R rifle section?
View Quote

Seller name "IAS47421" of Bedford, Indiana.

Indiana Army Surplus is in Bedford, Indiana.

Clicking on "sellers other items" may display some other items of interest to some of you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did not buy it, and do not think it was worth what the buyer paid for what is there.  However, as far as you being able to "make" a dimpled pin, some of us ONLY use REAL parts for our builds.  Reproduction parts are MUCH EASIER to source or "make", but they will not be found on ANY of my weapons except for my prototype build for which original parts are virtually impossible to find (but I AM still looking - I have an original handguard, buffer, and firing pin so far).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did not buy it, and do not think it was worth what the buyer paid for what is there.  However, as far as you being able to "make" a dimpled pin, some of us ONLY use REAL parts for our builds.  Reproduction parts are MUCH EASIER to source or "make", but they will not be found on ANY of my weapons except for my prototype build for which original parts are virtually impossible to find (but I AM still looking - I have an original handguard, buffer, and firing pin so far).
View Quote
Awe, I love the "We only use" the real parts arguments.  Problem is the "Real" parts are getting harder and harder to find, so get off your high horse and come back to reality when it comes to 50+ year old guns...

I love purists, you want pure, step up to the plate.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm confused by your argument.

On one hand you say it's crazy what it sold for but then you said genuine parts are expensive?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Seems like Dave has problems playing with others.
Yes that is Indiana Surplus. A couple days ago Slim told me they have a huge pile of that stuff.
The real fun in retro guns is the hunt for parts. The better the parts the better the rifle. Real parts are rare and costly. All facts.
What i cant figure out is, why would anyone that is NOT down with the program be hanging around a forum like this?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Awe, I love the "We only use" the real parts arguments.  Problem is the "Real" parts are getting harder and harder to find, so get off your high horse and come back to reality when it comes to 50+ year old guns...

View Quote
Finding REAL parts is half the fun (if not more) of MY builds.  I don't claim to be on a high horse, that is just what myself, and others do.  If YOU want to use reproduction parts for a shooter, I will not knock your decision or tell you to "step up and get off of your LOW horse", because that is YOUR decision.  However, what I choose to do is to spend the time, and unfortunately, the money to locate REAL parts.  Sure, you can build your rifle in a few days with repop parts, and mine might take years to build.  But, that is my CHOICE to do, without a high horse.  You can slap a BMW data plate on a VW bug, but you will always know that it is not even close to a BMW.  I, and others, choose not to go that route.  If I do not want to spend the money on a REAL BMW, I would prefer to take that same VW frame and put all real BMW parts on it to get it as close as humanly possible to the real thing.  I will know that the frame is not real, but I will have had the enjoyment of sourcing the real parts and building something as close to the real thing as possible. To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally, I use clone parts to complete a rifle because I like to shoot them. It allows me to keep searching and over time get my rifles as close to original as I can find and afford. In the end, they are all clones unless you are lucky (and rich) enough to buy an original. Having parts made to as close as possible, but still marked as a clone is a hobby onto its self.

Since I am waist deep into a prototype build, I have to ask... where in the world did you find a real prototype buffer? I have been trying to find someone to make one for me as a clone and there have been no takers yet. I only have a couple of pictures of three different styles and I'm not even sure they are correct.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So.........what happens when I step up to the plate DaveP1? I'm with M16indiana on this one...............finding the real parts is the fun part in all this. Why would aspiring to get your build as close to an original sans the receiver put someone on a "high horse"?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm confused by your argument.

On one hand you say it's crazy what it sold for but then you said genuine parts are expensive?
View Quote
For what the buyer got on that demill, it was not worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seems like Dave has problems playing with others.
Yes that is Indiana Surplus. A couple days ago Slim told me they have a huge pile of that stuff.
The real fun in retro guns is the hunt for parts. The better the parts the better the rifle. Real parts are rare and costly. All facts.
What i cant figure out is, why would anyone that is NOT down with the program be hanging around a forum like this?
View Quote
I build reproductions as well, but I will not pay ridiculous prices for little parts, and I hang here because I paid my membership and enjoy talking about guns.  I also hang in the M16 area of this system as well because I own 3 FA M16 guns.  I hand in the Build it your Self section because I build my own guns as well.  I posted my opinion on the price of that demill, that is one of the worst demills I have seen.  Sorry some of you don't seem to like me expressing my opinion about it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Finding REAL parts is half the fun (if not more) of MY builds.  I don't claim to be on a high horse, that is just what myself, and others do.  If YOU want to use reproduction parts for a shooter, I will not knock your decision or tell you to "step up and get off of your LOW horse", because that is YOUR decision.  However, what I choose to do is to spend the time, and unfortunately, the money to locate REAL parts.  Sure, you can build your rifle in a few days with repop parts, and mine might take years to build.  But, that is my CHOICE to do, without a high horse.  You can slap a BMW data plate on a VW bug, but you will always know that it is not even close to a BMW.  I, and others, choose not to go that route.  If I do not want to spend the money on a REAL BMW, I would prefer to take that same VW frame and put all real BMW parts on it to get it as close as humanly possible to the real thing.  I will know that the frame is not real, but I will have had the enjoyment of sourcing the real parts and building something as close to the real thing as possible. To each his own.
View Quote
Exactly, "To each his own"  I simply expressed my opinion, I am sorry you didn't like it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So.........what happens when I step up to the plate DaveP1? I'm with M16indiana on this one...............finding the real parts is the fun part in all this. Why would aspiring to get your build as close to an original sans the receiver put someone on a "high horse"?
View Quote
If you want the real look feel and such, step up to the plate and buy an M16, I might be selling one of mine in the next few months, let me know if you are are interested.

Just because I don't agree with your opinion, does not mean I am wrong, we express opinions on these systems when we have conversations, apparently others don't like my opinion, that is okay, I still think that is about the worst of the demills I have seen.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exactly, "To each his own"  I simply expressed my opinion, I am sorry you didn't like it.
View Quote
It is not that I did not like your opinion. I agreed that the demil was not worth the sum of its parts. However, I did not like your assertion that those of us who strive for perfection are on "a high horse".  As far as "stepping up to the plate" - I have.  However, I do not think that many on this forum could afford to purchase "real" examples of the 22 builds that I have done/working on. Not ALL of my M16's need to go pew pew pew.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you want the real look feel and such, step up to the plate and buy an M16, I might be selling one of mine in the next few months, let me know if you are are interested.

Just because I don't agree with your opinion, does not mean I am wrong, we express opinions on these systems when we have conversations, apparently others don't like my opinion, that is okay, I still think that is about the worst of the demills I have seen.
View Quote
Had a Colt US Property Marked lower years ago and sold it to pay off some land in northern WI. I do agree it was a pretty fugly demil that only yielded a grip and rear pin. As far as opinions go.........this is what I tell my wife. Opinions are like orgasms honey........only mine counts and you don't get to have one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As far as opinions go.........this is what I tell my wife. Opinions are like orgasms honey........only mine counts and you don't get to have one.
View Quote
oh shit
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Opinions are like orgasms honey........only mine counts and you don't get to have one.
View Quote
That is actually pretty funny!

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmm this is the first thread I've seen in the retro section go like this for a long time. Shame really I'll say this I build with authentic parts whenever I can but if I have to use repro for placeholders or just because I do. However any item is worth whatever someone will pay for it stating anything else is simply opinion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
However any item is worth whatever someone will pay for it stating anything else is simply opinion.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hmm this is the first thread I've seen in the retro section go like this for a long time. Shame really I'll say this I build with authentic parts whenever I can but if I have to use repro for placeholders or just because I do. However any item is worth whatever someone will pay for it stating anything else is simply opinion.
View Quote
I thought I did good trying to derail any tension with my joke.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was a JOKE?!?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never met my wife. If I said that I'd find one of my old barrels being used as a tomato stake in her garden.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually you did give me a chuckle man
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#31]
To each their own when it comes to builds. I have some all correct except the receiver, waiting on an all correct XM16, have my mitts and what I call "retro inspired".

It's all about having fun, sharing and expanding knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Man, what the hell this is Indiana Surplus? Every time I ask for pictures of something, I get something that looks like it was taken on a kids camera.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#33]
They have a web site. There are no links to these parts however. You must consult the oricle they call Slim.

I think we all need a group hug
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#34]
i just hope this isn't a sign of how much dimpled pins are going for now, I still need a set for my 602 clone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Things that would be interesting to see:

Confirm rear forging flash
    Better pic of the sight wheel
    Are there casting marks on rear sight aperture?
    Are there casting marks on the selector?
    Single set of star washer marks inside grip, this would be another example of a "number in circle" grip on a H&R

Things we can tell from the listing:

Grip is "number in circle"
    Seller says no casting mark on back of forward assist
    Double dimpled rear pin

As for value, you have to ask what it would cost to buy a grip, rear pin (if not bent), selector (if not bent), forward assist (if not bent), and rear sight assembly, plus the cool crushed receiver chunks you can hang on your Christmas tree.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top