Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2015 12:48:31 PM EDT
I recently scored a SP1 carbine but on one side of the aluminum stock operating lever someone has removed most of the thick gloss black paint.
I'm assuming to delete someones engraved name.

I know keeping it "original" might be better but its driving me nuts and I'd rather repaint it if only this one small area.

Anyone repaint one or have suggestions ?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The original vinyl acetate has been known to come off in sections, leaving "bald spots."  It's getting hard, actually, to find them without some bare metal.

People have suggested powder coating as one refinish option, but I think the less expensive route would be multiple coats of AlumaHyde from Brownell's (I think the semi-gloss black, but others may have personal experience).  I remember seeing one or two aftermarket stocks painted with the stuff and they looked quite good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The original vinyl acetate has been known to come off in sections, leaving "bald spots."  It's getting hard, actually, to find them without some bare metal.

People have suggested powder coating as one refinish option, but I think the less expensive route would be multiple coats of AlumaHyde from Brownell's (I think the semi-gloss black, but others may have personal experience).  I remember seeing one or two aftermarket stocks painted with the stuff and they looked quite good.
View Quote

Thanks for the response and idea.

Powder coating would work great but its a lot of screwing around for such a small job.

Think I'll try the Aluma Hyde unless someone has a better idea.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how one of he canned Rhino Liner products would work?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder how one of he canned Rhino Liner products would work?
View Quote

the ones i've seen done with spray on bedliner usually aren't very smooth and matte in texture.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]

A few years ago, there used to be a business in
Wichita that still performed vinyl acetate coating.

I'd have to dig deep in the old files to find the name.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what aluma-hyde semi-gloss black looks like, it's pretty shiny. I repainted the furniture, but the scope is original.

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Harbor Freight an the black can of plastic dip. Like you would drip tools handles in to coat. Going to try it sooner or later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Might try some liquid rubber used for electrical repairs.  Try it on a test piece.  Heat gun might make it flow better or dry it.  Could try thinning it also.  OH the possibilities.  Let us know if it works.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Harbor Freight an the black can of plastic dip. Like you would drip tools handles in to coat. Going to try it sooner or later.
View Quote

Just to let you know .... that 'dip' stuff
is pure garbage.

Don't waste your
money.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried the sprayable plasti-dip on a motorcycle helmet to change the color semi permanently to black.
Not a durable coating at all.

I bought another aluminum stock in pretty good condition to replace mine.

May still go the Alumi Hyde route on the spare.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
In my own opinion, powder-coating is the way to go. Yes, it is time consuming, but it is well worth it in the long run. It will be durable and last a long, long time.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top