BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2014 7:07:55 PM EDT
That is a Universal Industires mag on top for comparison, anybody know what the bottom two mag bodies are?

One of them actually split a weld, they are so bad. All are aluminum  construction and pretty sure they are USGI

ETA: all I have is the bodies... They had 30rnd DPMS base plates with plastic followers when I got them years ago.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The bottom two mags in the top pic just don't look right, maybe it is just the angle. Not sure if there is anyway to tell who made the contractor mag bodies without floorplates, unless they are stamped UI (Colt or Universal), or have a circle 1 on one side (Colt). But I bet you knew that. Does anyone know if there were any non USGI 20 rounders made in the 70's? I have always assumed that started later.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You could try looking on the INSIDE of the mag for markings. I have seen some with inside markings before.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Latter Simmonds (universal). Welds look worse from the finish over the welds. If the magazine bodies where worn like the top one they wouldn't look that bad. As to welds splitting, it happens.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The texture of the finish looks like most Adventure Line 20 round magazines I have encountered.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Sanchez? They are crap.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.
View Quote

In my experience, Adventureline 20’s are just as reliable as Colt or Simmond’s.

Sanchez and Cooper 30 round magazines with black followers were the ones that had problems.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sanchez and Cooper 30 round magazines with black followers were the ones that had problems.

Wpns Man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.

Wpns Man

Thats because the only real difference between the Adventure Lines, Colts, or Simmonds were the floorplates. Basically the same mag with floorplates added by the seller.... With a name like Sanchez would you expect quality?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
all of my sanchez mags are identical to my colts with the metal follower.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
all of my sanchez mags are identical to my colts with the metal follower.
View Quote

All the Sanchez mags I've encountered were 30's with the black nose dive followers that didn't feed worth a shit. After ordering Magpul USGI upgrade kits they were great, but it's only afterall a milspec GI magbody with Magpul Follower, spring, and ranger plate. So I wouldn't call it a Sanchez anymore but a Magpul USGI mag.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thats because the only real difference between the Adventure Lines, Colts, or Simmonds were the floorplates. Basically the same mag with floorplates added by the seller.... With a name like Sanchez would you expect quality?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.

Wpns Man

?  

Simmonds made mags for Colt, but Adventureline was a separate company, which later became Center Industries.

Sanchez never made 20 round magazines.

ETA: For the record, the .mil was never able to identify any manufacturing problem with Sanchez magazines, only Cooper magazines.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

?  

Simmonds made mags for Colt, but Adventureline was a separate company, which later became Center Industries.

ETA: For the record, the .mil was never able to identify any manufacturing problem with Sanchez magazines, only Cooper magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.

Wpns Man

?  

thats right they are simmonds not sachez LOL. Got confused!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Those look like Adventureline mags to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.

Wpns Man

?  

Hence the words "basically the same mag." They were all of the same design and worked great. I also said I've never seen a 20 round Sanchez because I believe they came out later and I've only had 30's that didn't feed well until upgraded.

ETA: Of course they were used USGI mags and could have possibly been from a pile of ones unfit for service.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hence the words "basically the same mag." They were all of the same design and worked great. I also said I've never seen a 20 round Sanchez because I believe they came out later and I've only had 30's that didn't feed well until upgraded.

ETA: Of course they were used USGI mags and could have possibly been from a pile of ones unfit for service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.

Wpns Man

?  

Your wording was open to interpretation.  

The initial Sanchez comment was not directed at you, just the edit (nothing wrong with Sanchez mag bodies).  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
After rereading it, I can see your point..
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The .mil stopped using Sanchez mags because they didn't meet specs - IIRC they had a number of chances to make things right.  You can do what you want, but I don't buy Sanchez mags.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy what you feel comfortable with. However, this discussion was in reference to 20 round magazines.

You must have misinterpreted my comments pertaining to Adventureline with your “Sanchez? They are crap” comment.

My attempt to put this back on track by clarifying that Sanchez/Cooper quality issues pertained to 30 round magazine seems to have further derailed the OP’s inquiry.  

Sorry OP, as usual RCDD (reading comprehension deficit disorder) rules again…………

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I have had a Sanchez 20 rounder, and it was a crappy mag but apparently the baseplate was changed. I have no problem with adventureline mags - so far. As far as I'm concerned most 20 rounders seem to work pretty well, and several brands were produced by the same company IIRC. Sorry I didn't see your comment, but my reading comprehension is fine. I am a little tired. My apologies to the OP as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Nearly all defective Sanchez mags remained under DOD control and were destroyed. Very few I'm aware of  reached the civi market.  I have a 30 rd. Sanchez that runs flawless with a black follower.  That was brief incident that has reached epic internet cult status.  Never seen a Sanchez 20 either.  Feel free to send me all your Sanchez mags.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nearly all defective Sanchez mags remained under DOD control and were destroyed. Very few I'm aware of  reached the civi market.  I have a 30 rd. Sanchez that runs flawless with a black follower.  That was brief incident that has reached epic internet cult status.  Never seen a Sanchez 20 either.  Feel free to send me all your Sanchez mags.
View Quote

ETA: Now that I look at it again, the top mag looks like it has UI markings.

OOPs. Man, I AM tired. Hal, I got rid of my few Sanchez mags some time back, or I would. Never even tried new followers in them but glad if that works for other people. I can see someone wanting a Sanchez for their collection in the future - wasn't aware the DoD destroyed so many - but that should tell you something about them. They did have a lot of problems with them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The .mil stopped using Sanchez mags because they didn't meet specs - IIRC they had a number of chances to make things right.  You can do what you want, but I don't buy Sanchez mags.
View Quote

That's Cooper, not Sanchez.  

And again, Sanchez never made 20 round magazines.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got that, (read my comments above) and I didn't come here to argue about it and am not going to. Did you guys wander in here from GD or something?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got that, (read my comments above) and I didn't come here to argue about it and am not going to. Did you guys wander in here from GD or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you're just being a jerk.  My posts were relevant and accurate.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]
No worries, I'm not here to fuel any flames. All is good.

Here's some other thoughts on the Sanchez Cooper mags
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=199825

I still have no clue on those top 2 mags with the 3 spot welds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#25]
You know, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. You guys jumped my shit about 20 round vs 30 round and I don't respond well to that. All I said was that Sanchez mags are crap. Wow. I'm out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

They all have five welds, they're just harder to see on the bottom two due to the dark finish.  

If they're not marked UI on the front, then they're Adventureline.   Those were the only USGI 20 round mag suppliers.  These appear to be Adventureline based upon the finish and weld style.  

OKAY Industries, which was started by a former Simmonds employee, also made (and continues to make) 20 rounders, but never for the .mil, and those will be marked as such, either on the inside or outside.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They all have five welds, they're just harder to see on the bottom two due to the dark finish.  

If they're not marked UI on the front, then they're Adventureline.   Those were the only USGI 20 round mag suppliers.  These appear to be Adventureline based upon the finish and weld style.  

OKAY Industries, which was started by a former Simmonds employee, also made (and continues to make) 20 rounders, but never for the .mil, and those will be marked as such, either on the inside or outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.   They kinda look coated with dry lube  ETA: I meant to say 5 spots, I see now they are just turned around.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. You guys jumped my shit about 20 round vs 30 round and I don't respond well to that. All I said was that Sanchez mags are crap. Wow. I'm out.
View Quote

All due respect, you started the Sanchez and 20/30 round tangent with your first post.   Since Sanchez never made 20 round magazines, and that was the point of this thread, all responses to your post were appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

All due respect, you started the Sanchez and 20/30 round tangent with your first post.   Since Sanchez never made 20 round magazines, and that was the point of this thread, all responses to your post were appropriate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I stated, I was not aware that Sanchez only made 30's although I knew most of their problems were with 30's. My bad. Again - I had a '20 round Sanchez' that apparently wasn't a Sanchez. It was one of the few 20's that never fed right for me. I didn't mean to be a jerk either, but 'appropriate'  responses? The response about reading comprehension was unwarranted IMO. After I responded, you jumped in again. Well, I apologize for mentioning Sanchez mags okay? I don't like seeing these threads derailed anymore than you do. Let's put this to rest okay?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As I stated, I was not aware that Sanchez only made 30's although I knew most of their problems were with 30's. My bad. Again - I had a '20 round Sanchez' that apparently wasn't a Sanchez. It was one of the few 20's that never fed right for me. I didn't mean to be a jerk either, but 'appropriate'  responses? The response about reading comprehension was unwarranted IMO. After I responded, you jumped in again. Well, I apologize for mentioning Sanchez mags okay? I don't like seeing these threads derailed anymore than you do. Let's put this to rest okay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.   We're good, man.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Good deal. Good thread - I did not mean to derail it, seriously.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#32]
My understanding (which may be based on internet lore alone) was that Sanchez mag failures were mainly due to the followers tilting and jamming, and that the problem was with their 30 rounders only. They helped to develop, or the issue with the followers instigated the development of the anti-tilt follower. That may be a simplification of actual events, I don't know.

Good thread - wonder if we need a magazine sticky?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Roger that.   They kinda look coated with dry lube  ETA: I meant to say 5 spots, I see now they are just turned around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought you might have been looking at them backward.

One minor correction to my post:  some Universal/Simmonds mags are not marked "UI". However, they are still easy to tell apart based on the finish, which is much thinner and lighter than what is found on Adventureline mags; and also the welds, which are generally smaller and more uniform on the Simmonds.  These unmarked Simmonds mag bodies were used for Colt contract mags, and thus will have Colt base plates if original.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My understanding (which may be based on internet lore alone) was that Sanchez mag failures were mainly due to the followers tilting and jamming, and that the problem was with their 30 rounders only. They helped to develop, or the issue with the followers instigated the development of the anti-tilt follower. That may be a simplification of actual events, I don't know.

Good thread - wonder if we need a magazine sticky?
View Quote

I wish I could find the Army's report on its magazine failure investigation.   In short, Sanchez and Cooper mags were flagged for unusually high failure rates.  Several lots of Cooper mags were found to be defective, either from lack of welds (typically three instead of six) or out-of-dimension bodies.  Despite that most Cooper mags were in-spec, the Army recalled all Cooper mags from service.   However, the Army never found evidence of manufacturing problems with Sanchez mags, and"cured" the problem with green followers.

ETA: I don't know if Sanchez was involved in the green follower development.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I've read a couple sources that reported the bad Sanchez were from an early lot that was supposedly caught pretty quick by the military and rectified.  

Here is the poop from Big Hammer:

Some interesting background: There were actually just two sets of U.S. military contract 30 round magazine tooling, both built by Colt. They wandered around from contractor to contractor. These contracts were usually "minority or small business set- asides." Typically what would happen is a small business would get set up with the tooling, and start to crank out a contract. Then, the contract was so lucrative that the business no longer qualified as a "small business", the contract was cancelled, and the tooling got yanked and sent on to the next contractor.

All of the G.I. contract 30s work fine with two exceptions, all Cooper mags and early production Sanchez with the black followers. This is what the May 1987 issue of PM Magazine (The Army's Preventative Maintenance magazine) had to say, "The 30-round magazines made by Cooper Industries don't fit the magazine well, they double feed and they won't feed the last five rounds when fully loaded." To avoid any problems, NEVER buy Cooper mags these were recalled for destruction by the military. The second exception, some early black follower lots of Sanchez (DSI) production are also said to have feeding problems, however, they were never recalled like the Cooper mags were. To avoid problems here buy only Sanchez with the green follower (from the newer production runs) or plan on replacing the black followers with the green ones, (Thanks to Rambo for the PM information and clarification).
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#36]
You learn something every day. Did the OP get his mags sorted out?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can personally attest to the Coopers being overdimensioned.  Two came my way in a trade.  One fits very tightly and will not drop free from several AR-15's I've tried it in, and the other will not fit into the magazine well at all.

Can't speak to the feeding problems with Coopers, never tried to use the one that would fit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Funny how I never had issues with black follower mags, save maybe one or two that were older than me, with the orange worn-in aluminum coloring and split spines or dented in/bent feed lips.

I still have some mags like that which were bow-flaged over, that I put Magpul anti-tilt followers in.

In all the high volume break contact drills, live fires, OPFOR details, qual ranges, CQB, and CQM ranges I did, I just didn't have a lot of malfs with black or green followers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, I think so?

Looks like they are possibly Adventureline if I am reading this thread correctly,,, how 30rnd mags came into the discussion, I do not know

Thanks for all the info folks!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#40]
It was my fault - sorry.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It was my fault - sorry.
View Quote

Your allowed 1 mistake morg... Don't let it happen again!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll watch myself boss.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll watch myself boss.
View Quote

What we have here is a failure to comunicate.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll watch myself boss.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
LOL. Yer gys is de bst! (talking through broken teeth.)  Thanks for understanding. I know this is a shock to some of you, but I can be a real dick at times. Sometimes it's warranted, but occasionally I just have a heavy flow day...or something. My apologies.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll watch myself boss.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_q4ggTMQcLgY/SN5eP6PeamI/AAAAAAAABgY/b78ZdZwlxKs/s400/paul+newman+11.jpg

"Restroom break Boss? Shake the bush Luke, shake the bush"
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL. Yer gys is de bst! (talking through broken teeth.)  Thanks for understanding. I know this is a shock to some of you, but I can be a real dick at times. Sometimes it's warranted, but occasionally I just have a heavy flow day...or something. My apologies.
View Quote

"we got all kinds here, and you gonna fit in real good"

Words of wisdom from Strother Martin
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.
View Quote

I have a bunch of Sanchez mags from back in the day when surplus GI mags were 3 or 4 dollars each at gun shows (early 90's).

Before the Magpul followers went on the market, I put green followers in a bunch of GI mags from different manufacturers (i.e. Colt, Sanchez, Adventure Line, Center Industries, Labelle, OKay, etc.) and to this day I have never had any issues with any of them.

I guess YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have a bunch of Sanchez mags from back in the day when surplus GI mags were 3 or 4 dollars each at gun shows (early 90's).

Before the Magpul followers went on the market, I put green followers in a bunch of GI mags from different manufacturers (i.e. Colt, Sanchez, Adventure Line, Center Industries, Labelle, OKay, etc.) and to this day I have never had any issues with any of them.

I guess YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sanchez? They are crap.

I guess YMMV.

This is good to hear. You are not the only person to report this in the thread. I guess I have to change my opinion of Sanchez mags. I may still have one kicking around somewhere, and I know I have a handful of green followers...I have a few USGI black follower 30 rndrs I need to rehab at some point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought a box of 20 used Sanchez 30's at an older woman's yard sale a few years back for $40.00, they all had black followers and typical wear. Not one mag out of that box would run the entire 28 rounds I loaded flawlessly. I upgraded all the ones I kept with Magpul upgrade kits and never looked back. Sold off the ones with the most finish wear just prior to the 2013 ban for $15.00 each.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top