Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2014 5:07:04 AM EDT
I have a retro 9mm ar-15 with the 10.5" barrel.  I am running only 115 grain ammo and I use a Blitzkrieg Aktive 9mm buffer.  The recoil is fairly smooth, but I want to go the additional
step of removing the weight from my bolt.  It is currently ramped.  I have a 3 lbs. Timney Trigger with the stainless steel pins.  I have contacted m60joe, but that was sometime ago
and I have heard no response from him.  Can any of our members here perform this service ?  I do not know how much weight needs to be removed for smoother recoil without
compromising reliability.  I would also like to send my registered SBR lower to a member here if anyone performs that service to have a 2 piece Colt magblock drilled into my lower.
I assume they will have to have a SOT for that.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Call Steve at ADCO. IIRC they ramp 9mm bolts and he might be able to hook you up. As far as pinning the 2-piece Colt blocks, M60joe is the only guy doing them AFAIK. He quoted me years ago when I was working on my 635 but I don't remember what he told me. He was going to mod a few Uzi mags for me as well. (harder apparently than it looks to make them feed right) It is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm running the standard bolt in my Colt with exactly zero problems, and a buddy has had the same experience.  His is 16" and mine is 11".  What problem, exactly, are you trying to solve?
BTW, I'm running a Geissele SSA in mine; again, no problems and feels great.
Moon
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do not want to remove weight from the bolt on a blowback firearm, the mass of the bolt is what keeps the chamber closed long enough to prevent an out of battery explosion.  The mass is calculated to keep the bolt closed long enough via inertia to prevent case bulging, ruptures, etc.   Note the big tungsten weight that is pinned in the back of the carrier- it is there for that very reason, to INCREASE bolt mass over what just using steel will allow.

If you want lighter recoil, you need to go to a locked action 9mm such as the MP5 style roller lock.

View Quote

Thank you for posting this - it makes perfect sense. Yes, OOB would be a bad thing...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  

Here is the reason for my post.  I have read that removing the weight in conjunction with light grain bullets and a good buffer makes for a very smooth platform.
My weapon functions fine as is, but I covet my buddies mp5 clone.  I was wanting to see how close I could get with my old trusty retro 9mm short barrel.

I will stick with the carrier as is.    
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
adco
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Op,
I'm definately no expert on 9 mm AR's and I'm assuming you want to keep a retro look but you might want to check into having someone like John Thomas or Loius (Stoner) machine you a retro looking muzzle brake.  I say this because I have shot a couple (9 mm's that have Surefire brake for can but with hider / brake only when I fired them , without the can and they are about as smooth as any AR I've ever fired.  These were 16" with basically all Colt parts or RRA dedicated 9mm AR pieces.  Sight acqusition never moved off target and they would easily shoot with or even better accuracy than some of my 16" .223/5.56 carbines.  

SBR will possibly effect accuracy a tad but I've done 1 MOA with the 16" 9mm's on quite a few occasions using quality optics and precision re-loads.  Granted they weren't mine and I've never done any 9mm, or pistol ammo period for that matter,  load development and the 9mm's I'm referring to were big coin items IMO and not in same league as my standard KISS type quality component builds concerning budget.  When I say big coin they had $1Kish optics on them and all had Geiselle FCG components.  Clueless on actual internals.  I know they had either Colt or Brownell's hi cap mags in them and owner could easily spit out $1K for every $1 I could.    Just an idea!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to keep the thread appropriately retro, here is a pic of my 9mm ar-15.  Registered short barrel lower.  i know the
Colt had an a2 pistol grip and slip ring, but I just couldn't help but to go for the a1 version instead.  All Colt upper.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  

Here is the reason for my post.  I have read that removing the weight in conjunction with light grain bullets and a good buffer makes for a very smooth platform.
My weapon functions fine as is, but I covet my buddies mp5 clone.  I was wanting to see how close I could get with my old trusty retro 9mm short barrel.

I will stick with the carrier as is.    
View Quote

If it's not broke............herpty derp
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just to keep the thread appropriately retro, here is a pic of my 9mm ar-15.  Registered short barrel lower.  i know the
Colt had an a2 pistol grip and slip ring, but I just couldn't help but to go for the a1 version instead.  All Colt upper.

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/6880/k6g1.jpg
View Quote

Looks nice. What mag block are you using? I'm guessing the lower is registered with multiple calibers and you have one of the drop ins.

The reason I ask is, with the prices on .22 LR being so damned high when and if you find any, 9mm is probably as cheap to shoot right now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#11]
44Echo10, you are correct.  That is simply a NDS lower that I registered some time ago.  I am looking at my magblock and I cannot find any manufacturer's marks
on it.  I bought the upper off the EE, and the seller was kind enough to throw in that magblock shown in the photo as well as a Colt 2 piece magblock.  I haven't used the 2 piece magblock because I don't have the holes in the magwell drilled for it.  The magblock in the photo uses a set screw to secure itself.  I really do not like it.  When I get it to feed perfectly, it does not drop well from the magcatch.  When I get it to function smoothly with the magcatch, it doesn't feed so well.  That is why I was asking about someone to drill in a two piece magblock.

I hear you on the ammo.  I got a decent deal on some 9mm ammo from Freedom Munitions some time ago.  The 9mm ammo came up for sale on their website, and I bought as much as I could afford.  I have stopped looking for .22lr ammo right now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn Megaro, that is a sweet 635 clone. All I had left ot do was the tax stamp and having my 2-piece blocks mounted and I was there - but had to sell the project. It was about a year after the economy went into the dumper IIRC. I'm once again considering a 9mm project, but think I'd do it as a pistol this time around, with a SIG brace. No stamp required that way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
44Echo10, you are correct.  That is simply a NDS lower that I registered some time ago.  I am looking at my magblock and I cannot find any manufacturer's marks
on it.  I bought the upper off the EE, and the seller was kind enough to throw in that magblock shown in the photo as well as a Colt 2 piece magblock.  I haven't used the 2 piece magblock because I don't have the holes in the magwell drilled for it.  The magblock in the photo uses a set screw to secure itself.  I really do not like it.  When I get it to feed perfectly, it does not drop well from the magcatch.  When I get it to function smoothly with the magcatch, it doesn't feed so well.  That is why I was asking about someone to drill in a two piece magblock.

I hear you on the ammo.  I got a decent deal on some 9mm ammo from Freedom Munitions some time ago.  The 9mm ammo came up for sale on their website, and I bought as much as I could afford.  I have stopped looking for .22lr ammo right now.
View Quote

Thanks Megaro, was just thinking out loud mostly. I've got a dedicated .22 carbine and a drop in conversion kit, because .22 LR is cheap to shoot. What happened??
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally I think the combination of the M&P 15-22 and similar 'tactical' .22's, the Slidefire stock, and the show 'Preppers' has driven the popularity of .22LR off the charts. It's getting better, but not quickly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Personally I think the combination of the M&P 15-22 and similar 'tactical' .22's, the Slidefire stock, and the show 'Preppers' has driven the popularity of .22LR off the charts. It's getting better, but not quickly.
View Quote

You're right, throw in all the 1911 .22 clones H&K subgun clones ETC
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Megaro - I'm not familair with the buffer you are using, but I know some guys recommend using a spacer or a special, longer buffer with the 9mm setup. IIRC a partial roll of quarters works in a pinch. I'm wondering if that will help with the initial recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Megaro - I'm not familair with the buffer you are using, but I know some guys recommend using a spacer or a special, longer buffer with the 9mm setup. IIRC a partial roll of quarters works in a pinch. I'm wondering if that will help with the initial recoil impulse.
View Quote

+1 on the quarters.  i've got a few in my 9mm setup so i can run a standard carbine buffer.  not sure if it changes recoil but it is supposed to to make it easier on the internal parts since it limits the rearward travel of the carrier.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am using this buffer system:
http://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=AR15-AB-9mm
I talked to Brian at nokick.com.  He recommended this but said that he was working on a new buffer system similar to the 9mm Silent Captured Spring set they sell, but which is out of stock.  I know a lot of people think it is vodoo and not worth the money.  But I found that it did smooth things out.  I liked it and it was money well spent for me although others may disagree.  I have not tried the quarters trick.  But I did use the heavy buffers and found that these messed up the cycling on my 9mm, so I discarded them.  From what I have read, the recoil impulse is different on a 9mm system because you have a blowback gas system that is pushing a big bolt rearweards and the slamming into the buffer tube is what causes a lot of the push.

I am no expert on this subject at all.  But I love to tinker, and even if it is not broken, it is always fun to look for improvements.  Sure I have wasted some money, but it is my entertainment.  I guess I am always looking for that next best thing in the AR world.  I like the looks, simplicity, and function of the retros but with modern internals for the most shooting fun.

I need to try the method CDENMARK recommended, but I didn't follow his description exactly.  I am going to send him an IM, get a clarification and try his method next.  The Colt 9mm SBR ar15 never went far in the military, and probably because the mp5 was better.  But I am married to the AR platform.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently saw some M231 like Canadian wire-stocks for sale on the EE - forget their name, but they weren't cheap. (In the used lower section) What I found interesting was that the BCG had a buffer attached to it - so it was one piece. Seems like this would be the perfect setup for a blowback system like the 9mm. Of course, the stocks were like $300 something...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I continue to be perplexed by this thread; never thought my 9mm Colt was unpleasant to shoot by any standard, and it's always been stone reliable.
We all have different standards, I suppose.
Moon
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top