Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2014 8:01:13 AM EDT
They always end up turning into another gun I guess it's not a bad thing until you end up building a rifle around a spare detent spring? This one started out as a stock, grip and an upper receiver I got in a  trade of vintage Honda parts. Ended up with a prototype float tube for another AR project so I mixed and matched a gun kit through Model 1 Sales to get as much of everything I needed to do both of them. Their XM177 barrel assembly pictured here on a Marine logo engraved lower receiver from JD Machine that was buried in the back of the safe. Figured I'd piece it all together and tweak it from there. Any pointers or suggestions appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah, the seeds of retro!

Looks good, although I'd look for a LW barrel and toss a Brick mod on there. Could also track down an A1 lower or finish a braceman 80%.

Definitely a nice start!!

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know... I'm starting to acquire a taste for the retro mutts. The kind of stuff an armorer might throw together from parts in the bin and then issue it. A friend showed me a picture of her son who is deployed holding what looks like a missed matched set of A2 and M4 parts. He loved it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I like where yours is headed but I would have to agree about getting a different barrel.

Hard to beat the handiness and the look of a lightweight pencil barrel with the proper moderator.

I can't afford any new builds right now so I'm tossing stuff up on the EE.

Maybe it will infect a few new guys with RBRD.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Pieced this one together from a surplus kit on a Yankee Hill lower that had been engraved as a boot camp graduation present for the youngest son. The JD lower had been on backorder for quite a while, almost cancelled it but then wouldn't have had a spare laying around. Went round and round with the company I got the surplus kit from due to missing and broken parts. By the time everything was settled six months later they had sent me a complete spare rifle kit. Now I have even more spare parts to do something with... Planning to make a NDS order one of these days and make things look a little more correct.

More spares!!!

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont know, I'm kinda digging the misguided children lower.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top