Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 7:15:29 AM EDT
Hey guys, has anyone that purchased a lightweight barrel from ar15sport.com removed the front sight base? I'm thinking of removing mine to install a round handguard cap for a set of NDS proto handguards. I just want to know if there is anything I need to be aware of that is particular to these barrels. I believe they use straight pins rather than tapper pins but I'm not 100% sure of that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Their web page indicates they use taper pins, so the pins should drift out in the normal manner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I've removed two. Both had taper pins, soak with PB blaster and use a 2 pound hammer and nail set to start them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I am newly signed up to the forum but have been reading the retro threads for several years. I was fixing to buy one of these same 1/9 barrels (since original 1/12 barrels are through the ceiling) to build up my LM forge code Martin Marietta M161a1 upper (the kind with purple hues). My questions though are these: Are you pleased with the AR15sport barrel? Did you have any issues?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought four for blaster/kids/new shooter builds. Two are on C7 uppers with 2,600 rounds each. All 55gr FMJ and they work fine. No, they aren't  White Oak match barrels. Now, with the 1/9 twist I can load some heavier pills then on my 1/12 tubes.

The only down side is when running the M261 adapter. The accuracy isn't there, but it is better then a 1/7 barrel. An the M261 gets new shooters in the game.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I did not mean to threadjack, but thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, so with taper pins they should be removed left to right, correct?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

good way to remember is they drift out the same direction as ejecting brass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

99% of the time. Look at the pin heads. Hit the smaller head
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top