Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 11:15:36 AM EDT
Hey guys. I am getting close to finalizing a retro/tribute shooter (XM177E2 / E1 work in progress) and was wondering if I need to have the feed ramps cut into the Colt CH A1 Rifle Upper that I have? I have talked to all the local gunsmiths and the response is 50/50. Figured you guys would probably have better first hand knowledge on feed issues. I did a search but nothing came up so hope I'm not pissing anybody off with a dead horse whipping. The Daniel Defense 12.5" barrel with Brick's moderator gets me right in there for the 16" (which may change when I get my SBR stamp). I am in the dry fit stage right now as I am waiting on my NODAK lower, so I still need to cut the bayo lug, pin the moderator, etc... Thanks for any input, this is a great forum, much appreciated.
Tim

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/angels-zero/XM177upper.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/angels-zero/XM177M4feedramps.jpg

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It will work fine.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, dcs...I guess I will see what happens between "good" and "OK"...

Hey , Is that Mayor McCheeseburger?
Do doo be-do-do
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok is more than fine.  

It is when someone has a m4 cut upper and a rifle cut extension that they have issues.  In that case the rifle extension isn't flush with the m4 upper cut and form a lip where bullets catch.  When you have a rifle cut upper and M4 extension the bullet doesn't have anything to catch on.

Oh, and that is mayor McCheese.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
For my Colt 653 build, I had my local AR shop add some "M4 feedramps" on my CH-marked A1 upper before I sent it to US Anodizing to be refinished. I didn't do it because I felt it was required; just thought it would give me a little piece of mind knowing that it should have no trouble feeding a wide variety of bullet lengths/weights. (Barrel is 1:7, from a Colt 6720 upper.)

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, since no one said it yet--WELCOME!
Nice first post.  Be sure to add photos as the build progresses!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It will run just fine as is, but if you have to have ramps on the upper grab a sharpie and dremel. Shade the area you want to ramp, remove the barrel, and take a few minutes to do it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will run just fine as is, but if you have to have ramps on the upper grab a sharpie and dremel. Shade the area you want to ramp, remove the barrel, and take a few minutes to do it.
View Quote

Although fine, I know it would bug me, so I'd likely grind it. My only issue with this is, guys doing this to original A1 uppers, like an early 604 (or worse) or an original XM16E1 upper in decent shape. I have no such qualms about modifying modern A1 uppers like what DPMS sells, either 604 or C7. I think original uppers should remain unfucked personally, no matter their condition. (Some people dig BTDT builds. )
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It would bug me too, that's why I asked.Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My m4 cut barrel feeds fine with my 604 upper with m193, m855, and 69 gr. smk hand loads. I say try it for yourself and see.  Mine works fine and I'm not about to change fine.  Now, if it didn't work, that'd be a different story.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had zero problems with a Colt M4 barrel attached to an SP1 upper on top of a FA lower.

The upper is not pristine, however, in that it needed clearance cuts for the autosear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the Retro Forum. It looks like you have a nice start of your build. I see you've been a member on AR15.com for a while now and this is your first post. If you haven't figured it out yet we here on the Retro Forum are a pretty forgiving bunch and you'd probably have to try to piss us off. Oh, and just to let you know, your days of having any kind of disposable income are gone. Retro Black Rifle Disease is one of the worst kinds of Black Rifle Disease that you can be infected with. Soon you will learn that there is no such thing as "spare parts". Things as small as a "spare" trigger are not really "spare"....it's the beginning of a whole new build project.  

Doc
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Welcome to the Retro Forum. It looks like you have a nice start of your build. I see you've been a member on AR15.com for a while now and this is your first post. If you haven't figured it out yet we here on the Retro Forum are a pretty forgiving bunch and you'd probably have to try to piss us off. Oh, and just to let you know, your days of having any kind of disposable income are gone. Retro Black Rifle Disease is one of the worst kinds of Black Rifle Disease that you can be infected with. Soon you will learn that there is no such thing as "spare parts". Things as small as a "spare" trigger are not really "spare"....it's the beginning of a whole new build project.  

Doc
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/mwrdyna/media/MedicSmileSurg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/MedicSmileSurg.jpg</a>
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!  

Oh, and keep the pictures coming as you make progress!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!  

He is correct, i am building a 603, only because I had a extra
Three prong flash hider

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc
<a href="http://s47.photobucket.com/user/mwrdyna/media/MedicSmileSurg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/MedicSmileSurg.jpg</a>

^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!  

He is correct, i am building a 603, only because I had a extra
Three prong flash hider

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Doc
View Quote

I will add to all the welcomes and will add that I use a 16 inch Danel Defense on a unmodified A1 upper and it feeds everything I load from 55 grain mil surp to 77 grain SPR loads
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey thanks for the input , guys. I have had the 'disease' for longer than I can tell....Think I may have passed it along to my kids....may not be such  bad thing considering the current state.
VMSB-144 Guadalcanal SBD-1 through 5  WWII and Willie Mike in Korea with the Corsairs and F9F Panthers ,that would be the source of my disease (RIP Lt. James Dougherty, you are not forgotten)
He tried to make it to Vietnam, but his superiors told him he had already done enough, sent him home with honorable discharge. My tribute build is for all that cannot be forgotten. That would be you, Jim...Love you, man
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Meh, non issue. I ran a couple hundred rounds on a feed ramped upper with a no m4 cut barrel without issue. Also I think most of the barrels now come m4 cuts on them.

Edit: Just checked. All my non-usgi barrels have M4 cuts and I have never had a problem. None of my uppers have feed ramp cuts.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've run a 11.5" barrel with M4 ramps in a non M4 ramp Colt CH code A1 upper without any issue.  I'd leave it as is, it'll run fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#18]
the only time I ran an m4 ramped barrel in a 604 and HAD to cut the ramps was when it had a barrel in 6.8spc installed
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Olgunner=thanks for the warm welcome.
Will post progress pic as I go.
Best,
Tim
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've run a 11.5" barrel with M4 ramps in a non M4 ramp Colt CH code A1 upper without any issue.  I'd leave it as is, it'll run fine.
View Quote

This is good to know, as I may be doing this myself.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top