Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 5:30:18 PM EDT
Found this on Gunbroker.  I'm looking for an XM177E2 type upper.  I'm less concerned with price but want it to be authentic.  A 639 upper would fit the bill.  I've got some concerns as I've seen real Colt 639's, probably 4, and non have had a bayo lug.  The barrel is marked CMPC which I think is early.  A2 flash hider and washer.  The upper is CH which is later, with large forward assist, again later, 1980,s???.  Seller is indicating this to be 1980's so the upper looks correct but I'm guessing an added barrel at one point but from what?  Did Colt ever make an 11.5" barrel with bayo lug?  Barrel could be cut but the CMPC appears to be in the correct position.  

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=363312413

Thanks for any input with this.

ETA: Looks like the FSB has a diamond which I think is also 1980's per the carbine guide here in the retro forum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=363312413#PIC

I made it hot for the people that can actually help.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
This may ease your mind a tad,look close at the names here (highlighted in red) and their contribution to the original RBR web site.:
This site is dedicated to the "Retro Black Rifle". It covers the AR15 / M16 Rifles
that were in production and used up to the mid 1980's.

This site identifies the various:
1. Manufacturers and Models
2. Model Specifications
3. Associated Accessories
4. Sources for "Replica Builds"

Thanks to the Founding Members for their hard work:
M Richardson     aka        "Capt Richardson"    Original Site Administrator
S Siebler             aka        "ScottRyan"              Colt Historian
J Trevithick         aka        "ThatGuy"                 Black Rifle Historian
D Watters            aka        "DEWatters"             Timeline Historian
M. Eklund            aka         "Ekie"                       Information and Photographs
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This may ease your mind a tad,look close at the names here (highlighted in red) and their contribution to the original RBR web site.:
This site is dedicated to the "Retro Black Rifle". It covers the AR15 / M16 Rifles
that were in production and used up to the mid 1980's.

This site identifies the various:
1. Manufacturers and Models
2. Model Specifications
3. Associated Accessories
4. Sources for "Replica Builds"

Thanks to the Founding Members for their hard work:
M Richardson     aka        "Capt Richardson"    Original Site Administrator
S Siebler             aka        "ScottRyan"              Colt Historian
J Trevithick         aka        "ThatGuy"                 Black Rifle Historian
D Watters            aka        "DEWatters"             Timeline Historian
M. Eklund            aka         "Ekie"                       Information and Photographs
View Quote

That would do it for me
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Incidentally, if scottryan's word isn't enough:

Much less common, but they're out there.

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had that auction on my watch list for a couple of days.

I was comparing the pics to my original upper and find that while both are marked C MP C, mine is marked on the bottom and this one is marked on the top.

Any idea when they made that change?

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info and pics.  If he says this is what it is then I guess it is.  Looking for original parts to add a carbine upper to my Colt 614, export version of the Colt 604.  Topic for another thread but I didn't realize NFA AR15/M16's had gone up so much in the last few years.  Thought I'd buy another only carbine version but at the current going rates this isn't going to happen as they're double what they were.  I was issued an M16 then later an M16a1.  I liked the M16 that I believe was a 604.  Some SP's had the GAU's which looked kick ass.  This was in the mid eighties.  USAF keeps their planes and guns around forever.  

Reminds me of the joke:  This isn't your father's Air Force but it might be his airplane.  Could've been his rifle too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Upper on GB has an A2 FH
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Ended up selling for $1225.00.

I guess these things are hard to find and highly sought after.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol $1225 for an upper, that thing could be overlaid in gold and I still wouldn't pay that for it
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lol $1225 for an upper, that thing could be overlaid in gold and I still wouldn't pay that for it
View Quote

Funny thing is, if it were overlaid in gold, that would actually decrease its value to a Colt M16 collector!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Funny thing is, if it were overlaid in gold, that would actually decrease its value to a Colt M16 collector!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup , eye of the beholder. I think it's with that price. I havnt seen any of these for sale but this one. I was going to bid but the price shot up quite a bit and I didn't have enough money hopefully it goes to a good home
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Most likely a feud.....with a few beers involved.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top