Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:55:12 PM EDT
I installed the handguards but they are a tad wobbly. I noticed that the barrel nut doesnt fully engage the lips of the handguard. My question is have any of you fine folks had this happen? Is this normal? Should I get a different pair of handguards?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
First off I am guessing by saying barrel nut you mean the slip ring. I would guess you dont have the slip ring, weld spring and split ring together correctly. You're going to get several requests here for pictures.

It should be anything but wobbly. I got mine on by using both hands and a friend putting the handguards in place.

ETA video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHvM52mg6Q
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Most all AR handguards will move a tad if enough pressure is applied. Clearance between HG stop cast in A-1 HG and diameter between teeth on barrel nut.  Stop diameter is mfg a tad smaller. Nature of design.  Usually very minimal and un-noticed unless one actually tries to move them.  Over time and with use the plastic stop will wear increasing clearance and movement (scale of hardness,  plastic vs metal,  metal wins).

There are many reasons why the original ergonamic A-1 HG's were replaced with the A-2 design but mostly due to being more prone to breakage.  As HG end cap loosens over time with use and plastic wears a tad, a little movement can occur on the business end also.  Doesn't effect much in milspec shooting performance (2-4" at 100yds) but there is a reason a competition rifle has free float  HG's.  They remove the stresses (harmonics) from original design and can increase accuracy in most instances.

Slip ring also has clearance between notch and gas tube and is made to actually move, same with snap ring.  Without clearance it sure would be hard to install a barrel but barrel nut shouldn't move once tightened and fail safe if it does is the gas tube holding / locking it.  Shoot it and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Out at the front sight block end you can build up the end of the hand guard with super glue and that power stuff they sell with it to act as a filler.  I don't add material to the end (to make the HG longer) but to make the HG "fatter" so it interferes with the triangle cap a little bit.  You keep adding a little more material until the hand guard fits snug in the triangle.  On the slip ring end the "teeth" of the barrel nut dig into the inside of the hand guard and can get worn loose.  I've never tried to tighten up a hand guard where it meets the barrel nut but you might be able to do some kind of very thin fiberglass / fiberglass and super glue fix.  Good luck not getting your fingers stuck to something while doing it though.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top