Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2012 10:11:02 PM EDT
John gave me some great help on the hand gaurds.  His work was outstanding if I do say so myself.  The mans an artist.  I have not finished the 601 yet because it has taken me a while to figure out the charging handle for it.  I bought some dimpled take down pins and bolt catch from Johns web site.I just haven't put them on yet.The charging handle it is in the white I just need a bit more work and a i can then anodize it. I did realize that the handle itself is not symmetrical.  So I had to cnc this thing a couple of times but we got right.  I should turn out a few more now that we got the g codes right.  Its fun to finish a few projects.  I made these from 80 percent receivers.  There not perfect but they still look cool.  They were a lot of fun to do.  Hope you all enjoy em.   So here I go again trying to post a photo  I sure hope it works this time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
that looks nice, especially the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a pair of sox just like yours, cool
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#3]
More pics and info on the zebra rifle please!
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The zebra is a  a gm replica I stamped from an 80%receiver and then had a friend profile. I then finished the fire control group.  The upper is marked LM with an early barrel. As you can see I tried my best to match the original anodized color.  The strips are od green paint using tape to outline it.  The sling is nylon rope GI issue vietnam era i picked up at a surplus shop.  It has an m-16 selector that was modified for ar-15 fire control parts from Sarco.  Gives it that cool look.  Hand guards pistol grip and buttstock are  USGI.  I am heading out of town for 4 days but will try to post more photos when I return. Thanks for lookin
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
More pics on all the rifles please! They look damn nice.

Maybe a little more info on parts, barrel markings etc.

I really like the tiger striped Hydramatic, way cool!! Finish is awesome.

Well done sir!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well done sir!!!!

This!
Insufficient data and too few pics!  Don't be a retro tease!
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well done sir!!!!

This!

^^^^^^ This!  I'm liking what I am seeing!

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well done sir!!!!

This!

++1
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Super cool rifles.  I have a similar 601 build in the works based on John's furniture.  I have a similar anodizing scheme in mind.  Very coconut rifle-like.  Great job and thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
VERY nice redbaby! They look outfreakingstanding.  "I cant take it any more"  I just finished my 601 this evening,,,,,,,,getting really impatient to post some pics. (have to wait till this weekend)
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice, now I want to go buy some green tape.  More pictures please
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm late to the party, but all three of those look great! Especially the A1's!
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
did you get Morg 308 to do the the cammo on that?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are some more photos  I was out of town so I am a bit late getting them up so here it goes.  The tiger strips are green od paint.  I used blue masking tape to make the stripes  Tear the edge so it is uneven.    The upper is marked   L and M  barrel is a sak mp marked Thanks for the interest

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I missed this the first time around! Very purty rifles!

Add me to the list of stripe lovers!

If I ever get the 605 done I may have to break out the rattle can!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here are some more photos  I was out of town so I am a bit late getting them up so here it goes.  The tiger strips are green od paint.  I used blue masking tape to make the stripes  Tear the edge so it is uneven.    The upper is marked   L and M  barrel is a sak mp marked Thanks for the interest
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h395/redbaby48/DSCF0077.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h395/redbaby48/DSCF0079.jpg

That's one of the best looking 603's I've seen done here!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h395/redbaby48/DSCF0077.jpg

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h395/redbaby48/DSCF0079.jpg

That's one of the best looking 603's I've seen done here!

The match of the anodizing between the upper and lower is amazing. Usually, one is lighter than the other.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#19]
That Hydra-Matic just does it for me.  That rifle says "shoot me."  The zebra stripes look outstanding.  A real inspirational post.

By the way, is there any kind of historical reference for this type of striping with paint in the field?  I have seen a few photos with stripped up furniture, but I always thought it was with tape?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That Hydra-Matic just does it for me.  That rifle says "shoot me."  The zebra stripes look outstanding.  A real inspirational post.

By the way, is there any kind of historical reference for this type of striping with paint in the field?  I have seen a few photos with stripped up furniture, but I always thought it was with tape?

also bathtub flower stickers were used:

some good pics here:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=517166
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Now thats a great photo  Thanks for posting that one.   Buy the way thanks for the comments everyone.    I got the strips idea from Vietnam photos and went from there  These were supper fun projects.  I have to admit the anodizing matching did get a bit frustrating.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have to admit the anodizing matching did get a bit frustrating.

The upper receiver was already that color and you matched the lower receiver? If so, great job!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah but the H and R below the GM  was the harder one.  It had a grey green upper  that  took some goofing around with bleach  olive drabe and nln grey to match the lower.  I think I did it 5 or 6 times and finally got it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted: I bought some dimpled take down pins and bolt catch from Johns web site.

?? I know I've been a bit absent lately but I completely missed this.
Anyone care to share a link?

Nice collection redbaby!
Looks great on that table too, but you need to take off the socks next time.
socks!=toes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted: I bought some dimpled take down pins and bolt catch from Johns web site.

?? I know I've been a bit absent lately but I completely missed this.
Anyone care to share a link?

Nice collection redbaby!
Looks great on that table too, but you need to take off the socks next time.
socks!=toes.

Hi I think he was referring to JT's WTS services ad on RBR.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#26]
The tiger striping on the that 603 is great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys like the socks very funny.  I have to admit I laughed when I went back and looked  I should do them zebra stripped also.   My next project you all may like.  I am going to try a prototype.  Hopefully I can post a photo of the receiver art in the next few weeks.  I am going to have to machine a 0 percent receiver to get the magwell to work and the mag release the correct size.  Is there any interest in these?    With a group I may be able to get the machining done for less.  Email me if your interested
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top